Winter sucks.

I write fiction and read books, but I don't do outdoor activities anymore during the winter. My back is a mess, so no more skiing or hockey for me.
I struggle with seasonal depression too on top of everything else. Stay strong bro winter will be over soon we just gotta keep our heads down and grind thru it

As always my Texas ass is worried about this cold snap.

@KowboyMMA @Chesten_Hesten

How we doin?
I live in a double insulated barndominium. Last year we never turned the heater on and the coldest the inside ever got was 63 degrees. Outside was in the low 20s. We did lose power then, but even so I have a whole house generator with a cut-over. Its cold out but not bad, thanks for asking.

My wife was an essential worker before Covid you silly goose.
Even in a state of emergency she has to be at work.

She has the paperwork in the truck.
I don't care about lingo, you lump.

Do you live in Canada?

I live in a double insulated barndominium. Last year we never turned the heater on and the coldest the inside ever got was 63 degrees. Outside was in the low 20s. We did lose power then, but even so I have a whole house generator with a cut-over. Its cold out but not bad, thanks for asking.
I’ll have to inquire about the barndo. I was considering getting a piece of land and plopping one down. Do you love it?

The low next Wednesday here (kentucky) is supposed to be -2 F

Fuck that, you could die in weather that cold. Probably not but it sucks.

It was -40 with wind chill on Friday in the Canadian prairies. In -2 you can wear shorts and a hoodie and run a quick errand without too much hassle from the cold.

Edit: I just saw the F when I read I was assuming Celsius, which was my mistake, bud! That -2F is what? -20? Yeah that's damn cold for Kentucky, isn't it? What's an average winter temp there?

Scotland, along with the rest of the UK, rarely gets heavy snow. It's mainly high winds and heavy rain up here.

It's about - 1 outside right now. But I'm running a mild fever anyway, so I don't even notice.

If the winter makes you want to blow your brains out why not consider a move to the South? It's about 30 F here which is a little cold but really it's easy going. I can't imagine living in those temps some of you deal with.

I’ll have to inquire about the barndo. I was considering getting a piece of land and plopping one down. Do you love it?
It's on 17.5 acres which I inherited, no cost there. It has wildlife Ag exemption.

its a 30X80 building. 30X30 sqrft shop, rest is house, 2 bdrm 2 bath, an insulated structure inside the barn shell.

in 2021 as I recall, it was about $185K for the built out structure, with additional $7k for electric service, $7k for road,, $6K for car port and sidewalk, $6K septic, $12k Water well.

Taxes were $1700 this year.

monthly electricity, (everything electric, including water well) spans $90-$189. The highest was a hot month.

10ft ceilings inside except for living room which is 16ft.

We run the heat at 71, (It feels much warmer in this thing for some reason)

set at 75 in summer.

We were our own subcontractors. every turnkey asshat wanted like $175K just to do the finish work to the inside of the already framed out living space.

Its the most low maintenance efficient dwelling you can get.

We like it.

If the winter makes you want to blow your brains out why not consider a move to the South? It's about 30 F here which is a little cold but really it's easy going. I can't imagine living in those temps some of you deal with.

It's cold, but it's not that bad. You get use to it.

I bought my girlfriend a snowmobile and winter tires for Christmas. We don’t even have snow. Wtf fail.

Sledding and hockey are the only ways I can get through winter.

We are braving 46 degrees over here pulled out the fleece. So.cal blizzard 2024.
e36393f9-fe2e-405b-80fd-aa828c267c19.0a120d39b2c2ba8dd20a6d78d1dc2e3d.jpeg
giphy.gif

Back