Merab’s knees to O’Malley’s head

Ah good catch! That was beautiful technique by Mousasi. Good call out @Mike
Terrible reffing ended that fight. He somehow got a TKO after the ref stopped the fight for what he deemed an illegal knee.

They didn't even let Weidman get a choice in whether or not he could continue after that fact it was deemed legal. No one cares though because they're still upset he ended Silva

Does anybody else automatically link the words Knees with Wanderlei Silva ?

Terrible reffing ended that fight. He somehow got a TKO after the ref stopped the fight for what he deemed an illegal knee.

They didn't even let Weidman get a choice in whether or not he could continue after that fact it was deemed legal. No one cares though because they're still upset he ended Silva

In New York, consulting the replay for a foul ends the fight. When the strikes were deemed legal, it was ruled a TKO win for Mousasi.

New downed opponent rule doesn't go into affect until November i thought.
For context for anyone who isn't aware, the new rule, as Beatdowns referred to, completely removes hands from the downed fighter equation. It must be any part of the body other than hands or feet.

Currently, I believe this is the most updated rule for Nevada:

For the purposes of subsections 14 to 16, inclusive, an opponent shall be deemed to be a “grounded opponent” if at least one of the opponent’s hands is weight-bearing on the floor, including, but not limited to, the palm, fingers, or fist, or if one or more of the opponent’s body parts, other than a hand or sole of a foot, is touching the floor. (Adopted 9/20/2022)

Something of note here though, is that the rule "change" is only being adopted by the ABC, which is the body that commissions are members of, but doesn't express immediate control over all commissions. Most of their keywords are "promote" and "encourage." So just like that time that the ABC changed the rules for putting scoring criteria into tiers and changed the hand down rule for grounded opponents the first time, this will ONLY be in effect in the states/territories that adopt it once they adopt it. Some states might not pick it up immediately, and others can outright reject it *cough NJ cough*

Last edited:
They didn't even let Weidman get a choice in whether or not he could continue after that fact it was deemed legal.
No, that simply doesn't matter. The decision to call the fight should be independent of the ruling on legality. The fight was called off, and you could even see the person checking on Weidman shaking her head no at the ref, so the decision to not continue was already made, on top of what @Only Here for Attachments said about their rule on viewing replays automatically meaning the fight was over anyway.

The ref should not (not only by rules but by any sense of logic) go up to a fighter and go "Well, turns out they were legal, so now are you good to go, cuz I'm gonna call this a TKO if you don't continue"

No, that simply doesn't matter. The decision to call the fight should be independent of the ruling on legality. The fight was called off, and you could even see the person checking on Weidman shaking her head no at the ref, so the decision to not continue was already made, on top of what @Only Here for Attachments said about their rule on viewing replays automatically meaning the fight was over anyway.

The ref should not (not only by rules but by any sense of logic) go up to a fighter and go "Well, turns out they were legal, so now are you good to go, cuz I'm gonna call this a TKO if you don't continue"
If the ref hadn't stopped the fight for what they deemed illegal, the fight continues and Moose either gets a proper TKO there or Chris recovers and maybe even still loses.

I'll never change my stance on this fight. Ref fucked up.

That happened.
Would have liked to see the ref not intervene and see how the fight actually plays out. If the roles were reversed, there would have been many threads complaining about it, no question.

In regards to mousasi vs Weidman…

Ref paused fight for Weidman to have a break for what he thought had been illegal knees

Mousasi told doctors he couldn’t continue, demonstrated by him declaring the wrong day of the week when asked, fight is over

Replay showed knees were legal, so mousaai wins by tko

Weidman, congratulations, you played yerself

Well those were almost all illegal, so very much the exact opposite
Movsar tried like 5 separate times to down himself and Allen applied the technique correctly every time, I don't know what the point of this criticism is.

Movsar tried like 5 separate times to down himself and Allen applied the technique correctly every time, I don't know what the point of this criticism is.
Any touch of the hand to the canvas made those knees illegal, so Allen's knees were illegal. That's the thing that you don't know

Back