Dustin Poirier's 3rd title shot is even more undeserved and stupid than Colby's 3rd.

Literally everybody say he does not deserve it.

He is just keeping Islam active since Arman did not wanted the short notice, Max is fighting Topuria and Justin got KTFOed.
Islam specifically decided he was only going to fight on June 1 and no other date, before 300 or after June 1, so that Dustin was the only one he'd have to fight. Because as he's saying in every interview he does, Dustin is a joke for him.

Brother if any of the contenders actually agreed to fight June 1 don't be surprised if Islam suddenly changed his tune and said he wasn't fighting until any of the later cards in July or August like he could've just done from the start and everybody called him out on.

Islam's taking Dustin just to easily tie the LW record before he has to try and break it against an actual contender with a decent shot of beating him. That he's not taking on 6 weeks notice.

Last edited:
Dustin fought a young hungry guy and destroyed him.

He did not sit around like an entitled brat waiting for his Ts.
Dustin fought an inexperienced fighter and got ragdolled until the prospect gassed himself out.

But fuck it.. looking forward to this fight.. at least we have a semi-active champ

That doesn't change anything I said. He doesn't deserve a titleshot. Timing is not relevant to him deserving a shot
Point is he's not being pushed into a title fight like Colby was. He's literally only getting it because Islam wants to fight soon and everyone else turned it down.

But no one is saying anything because Dustin is a fan favorite. Let's compare both scenarios. Colby got finished in his first got a second won and lost in a war. He then beat Masvidal who was just outside the top 5 (although not in skill level but on paper he was) and hadn't fought Leon previously and had more things to offer him from a stylistically challenging perspective than Dustin has for Islam. Dustin had just got fucking slept by Gaethje who in turn was just slept by Max. Not to mention Arman just beat Oliveira who also beat Dustin. Beats number 13 ranked Benoit St Denis and gets a title shot on a 1 fight win streak. And it's not like Dustin's two title fight losses were controversial or even particularly competitive, he got finished convincingly. And all real MMA fans knows he's probably the easiest fight in all of the top 10 for Islam. Seriously what challenges does he present? His below average takedown defense and defensive wrestling? His "nasty guillotine" LMFAO. As a Muslim myself I know fighting during Ramadan is excruciating but it's over now and had Islam waited a few more months he could have had either Max or Arman both far more viable challenges that present a risk. Even the biggest Poirier fans know what's going to happen. Is anyone else really excited for another Islam free win?
I think what's happening here is that UFC had an agreement with Dustin when they were talking about the Saint Denis fight that IF he took that fight (Saint Denis was ranked No.12 and Dustin was No.2 or No.3) then they would *reward* him (IF he won convincingly) with a (final) title-shot later in 2024. So that was likely the REAL incentive to Dustin to fight the No.12 guy --- one more stab at the 155lb title. Also Poirier is a long-time UFC fighter for many years (almost his entire career) and UFC tend to reward popular fighters that have been easy to work with and amenable to what the UFC want them to do over the years, and Poirier undoubtedly fits that description.

So.... on a strict "What has Poirier done lately?" basis, then NO the title-shot prob not deserved (1 fight win streak) but I trhink my above hypothesis is likely somewhere close to the truth.

I think what's happening here is that UFC had an agreement with Dustin when they were talking about the Saint Denis fight that IF he took that fight (Saint Denis was ranked No.12 and Dustin was No.2 or No.3) then they would *reward* him (IF he won convincingly) with a (final) title-shot later in 2024. So that was likely the REAL incentive to Dustin to fight the No.12 guy --- one more stab at the 155lb title. Also Poirier is a long-time UFC fighter for many years (almost his entire career) and UFC tend to reward popular fighters that have been easy to work with and amenable to what the UFC want them to do over the years, and Poirier undoubtedly fits that description.

So.... on a strict "What has Poirier done lately?" basis, then NO the title-shot prob not deserved (1 fight win streak) but I trhink my above hypothesis is likely somewhere close to the truth.
Dustin fake quit out of the BSD fight when he found out all the other contenders were getting actual meaningful matchups while he was being given the old man on his way out treatment by being given a young streaking prospect. He thought Charles or Arman already had the title shot lined up, which was why Justin was fighting Max to stay busy and make it onto 300.

There was no secret plan until after all the matchups were announced and Dustin won that Islam suddenly came out of hiding and said he was fighting June 1 or not at all. THEN Dustin realized he was in position to be the only one who might be able to fight by then and so started demanding the title shot over the others.

Which is what Islam wanted all along. This is Islam's secret plan, not the UFC or Dustin's. He wants Dustin for the seemingly easy lay up to tie the LW defence record. That way it's his 4th defence against a real contender, not his 3rd.

Dustin's title shot is well deserved when you consider all the great fights he's given us over the course of his long career. Also, he's what's available, let em bang.

Last edited:
Colby can go fuck himself. I'm still pissed that Leon did not push the pace and knocked his ass out... but him getting an undeserved title shot does not mean Dustin should get one for himself.
I agree, but if we're splitting hairs here there is simply no argument to be made that Colby was more deserving than Dustin is.

Islam specifically decided he was only going to fight on June 1 and no other date, before 300 or after June 1, so that Dustin was the only one he'd have to fight. Because as he's saying in every interview he does, Dustin is a joke for him.

Brother if any of the contenders actually agreed to fight June 1 don't be surprised if Islam suddenly changed his tune and said he wasn't fighting until any of the later cards in July or August like he could've just done from the start and everybody called him out on.

Islam's taking Dustin just to easily tie the LW record before he has to try and break it against an actual contender with a decent shot of beating him. That he's not taking on 6 weeks notice.

Agreed but power to him, not sure if I'd do the same but man will be retired at 40 and needs to look after himself.
UFC matchmakers on the other hand have zero interest in mantaining the integrity of the titles.

Not at all, Dustin defended his spot and got it because Arman said no, Colby beat a journeyman on a losing streak, went away for 2 years and got the shot because he made weight as a backup (something that has not applied to almost any other fighter)

I agree, but if we're splitting hairs here there is simply no argument to be made that Colby was more deserving than Dustin is.
No.. there isn't.

I'm good with Dustin getting a TS since Gathje is still sleeping, Max is for sure fighting Topuria and Arman did not want the short notice for a 2nd time vs Islam.

Not at all, Dustin defended his spot and got it because Arman said no, Colby beat a journeyman on a losing streak, went away for 2 years and got the shot because he made weight as a backup (something that has not applied to almost any other fighter)
The only spot Dustin defended was that he was still behind a bunch of other contenders.

The only spot Dustin defended was that he was still behind a bunch of other contenders.
He lost, a lower ranked guy challenged him and he beat him, thats how is supposed to be.

And again he got the shot because the #1 contender said no (rightfully so, not attacking Arman on this one you bots), the other option was what? Gamrot, I actually think he deserves it more but Dustin just sells more tickets, specially in America, also Gamrot seems to have done something to piss Dana off.

Dustin has a quality win over Chandler within the last two years.

What sucks is that Benny still hasn't had a title shot (I guess fighting Oliveira is close to getting one, but still wanna see the Islam matchup). With so many fan favourites (Gathje, Oliveira, Holloway) at LW, it's gonna be hard for him to get a shot even if he comes back and gets a couple quality wins.

Colby had just beaten a top 5 guy who had just fought for the title and was known as the 2nd best WW. I still see nothing wrong with Dustin likely getting his last title shot
who was known as the 2nd best WW, Masvidal.. Ummmm no he wasnt... he was just outside of the top 5 , which he shouldnt have been anyway.. Out of the people available is DP all day everyday.. No comparison to Colby getting another shot ... at all...

But no one is saying anything because Dustin is a fan favorite. Let's compare both scenarios. Colby got finished in his first got a second won and lost in a war. He then beat Masvidal who was just outside the top 5 (although not in skill level but on paper he was) and hadn't fought Leon previously and had more things to offer him from a stylistically challenging perspective than Dustin has for Islam. Dustin had just got fucking slept by Gaethje who in turn was just slept by Max. Not to mention Arman just beat Oliveira who also beat Dustin. Beats number 13 ranked Benoit St Denis and gets a title shot on a 1 fight win streak. And it's not like Dustin's two title fight losses were controversial or even particularly competitive, he got finished convincingly. And all real MMA fans knows he's probably the easiest fight in all of the top 10 for Islam. Seriously what challenges does he present? His below average takedown defense and defensive wrestling? His "nasty guillotine" LMFAO. As a Muslim myself I know fighting during Ramadan is excruciating but it's over now and had Islam waited a few more months he could have had either Max or Arman both far more viable challenges that present a risk. Even the biggest Poirier fans know what's going to happen. Is anyone else really excited for another Islam free win?
100%, it's another obvious attempt to get Islam more fans, to resonate, and more undeserved accolades. DP does not deserve the title shot at all. Arman is the one, yet ironically, Islam will not wait for that one. DP just got absolutely smoked, by another guy who just got absolutely smoked. It's more weak decisions in an attempt to bolster Islam's popularity, before he inevitably moves up to 170 or the new nothing weight class of 165.

TS huffing glue. Poirier earned the first with the interim, so that had to happen.

He'll have had 3 LW title shots in a span of 5 years, one being because he won an interim belt. In that 5 years he went 5-2, with big wins over Conor McGregor (x2), Michael Chandler, BSD and Hooker.

Colby has also had 3 title shots in a span of 4 years, none being from holding an interim belt. In those 4 years he went 2-3, with luke warm victories over Masvidal and Woodley.

Thread is hot garbage.

An absolutely idiotic comparison. Colby fights once a year and hasn't fought an opponent coming off a win in over half a fucking decade. He also received 2 completely bullshit title shots, one after beating a declining Woodley, and the other beating a declining Masvidal. Dustin's 3rd shot might be undeserved, but he's always active and has fought nothing but ranked opponents for the past 6 years.

Back