Greater fighter, Dustin or Conor?

ExitLUPin

K
@Steel
Reaction score
I just got into a HEATED dispute with a buddy whos more of a casual fan. Def not Sherdogger level MMA IQ but he knows some stuff about MMA. Big Conor fan. He said Dustin is a choker in the biggest fights and Conor will always be better so it got me thinking, who is greater?

Pro-Conor points

- 2 division champ, 3-1 in title fights including interim (Dustin 1-2)
- has the best win of the 2 in Aldo
- clearly better FW than Dustin was at FW

Pro-Dustin points

- faaaaaar deeper resume and much stronger schedule faced
- 2-1 H2H against Conor
- among common opponents (Brandao, Duffy, Max, Eddie, Khabib), Dustin is 5-1-1 while Conor is 3-2
- clearly better LW than Conor was at LW even tho Conor was champ, he did it skipping the line and finishing someone who Dustin also finished

I just got into a HEATED dispute with a buddy whos more of a casual fan. Def not Sherdogger level MMA IQ but he knows some stuff about MMA. Big Conor fan. He said Dustin is a choker in the biggest fights and Conor will always be better so it got me thinking, who is greater?

Pro-Conor points

- 2 division champ, 3-1 in title fights including interim (Dustin 1-2)
- has the best win of the 2 in Aldo
- clearly better FW than Dustin was at FW

Pro-Dustin points

- faaaaaar deeper resume and much stronger schedule faced
- 2-1 H2H against Conor
- among common opponents (Brandao, Duffy, Max, Eddie, Khabib), Dustin is 5-1-1 while Conor is 3-2
- clearly better LW than Conor was at LW even tho Conor was champ, he did it skipping the line and finishing someone who Dustin also finished
Conor was a champion twice, Dustin wasn't. Makes it pretty difficult to argue in Dustin's favor.

Gotta be Dustin, beating a prime Max Holloway who was a sitting champion was insanely impressive

Conor accomplished more, and Conor at his best was better than Dustin at his best. Whereas Dustin has had much great more sustained success.

But the answer is obviously Conor. The fact that Dustin has never been the champion pretty much kills any argument in his favor.

A better comparison/question would be Dustin vs. Tony.

Conor being champion is a pretty big point. However, is someone truly a champion if they never defended their belt. His record in title fights deserves an asterisk because he never defended a belt. It is a bit disingenuous if someone knows and understands that but does not factor it in the debate (I am not saying you are doing this, I don't think it was even thought about. It was not mentioned, but it needed to be).

Zero title defenses is also why anyone who genuinely places Conor in GOATS talks cannot be taken as a serious follower of MMA.

Lmao

222499_original.gif

Dustin won the trilogy against him while they were both in their athletic prime, and that's factoring in the KO losses Poirier took and the wars he took/the McGregor fights against Diaz/Mayweather/Khabib.

Poirier is still fighting and at the very highest level. Conor doesn't have the hunger anymore; Poirier still does. Dustin is just the better fighter, point, blank, and simple. However, McGregor will always have the greater legacy.

Back