Greater fighter, Dustin or Conor?

I just got into a HEATED dispute with a buddy whos more of a casual fan. Def not Sherdogger level MMA IQ but he knows some stuff about MMA. Big Conor fan. He said Dustin is a choker in the biggest fights and Conor will always be better so it got me thinking, who is greater?

Pro-Conor points

- 2 division champ, 3-1 in title fights including interim (Dustin 1-2)
- has the best win of the 2 in Aldo
- clearly better FW than Dustin was at FW

Pro-Dustin points

- faaaaaar deeper resume and much stronger schedule faced
- 2-1 H2H against Conor
- among common opponents (Brandao, Duffy, Max, Eddie, Khabib), Dustin is 5-1-1 while Conor is 3-2
- clearly better LW than Conor was at LW even tho Conor was champ, he did it skipping the line and finishing someone who Dustin also finished

Conor’s biggest PPV fights

1, vs Mayweather ….Loss
2. Vs Khabib…………Loss
3. vs Porier ………….Loss

Who chokes ?

Prime for prime Conor, both fought in the same 2 weight classes. 1 was champ in both and the other... wasn't. Ok to be fair Conor didn't deserve the TS at 155 and his legacy at 155 isn't great. But also any fight post Eddie wasn't the hungry and motivated Conor anyways, it was cokehead Conor.

Prime? Conor was out of his prime the second he left the UFC to box and has never come close to his peak other than the blink-and-you'll-miss length Cowboy fight. He has looked awful in and out of the ring since then.
I still think Conor was done with MMA and Khabib drug him back by going after Artem. Without that I don't think we would have seen him in MMA again, maybe he would have boxed Manny.

Dustin no contest.
Resumes make greatness.
Conor left too many matchups on the table.
Dustin is the new age Hendo. I mean this is the greatest compliment possible.

I think Conor is the better fighter.

Put it this way, if Dustin made Conor money I think he’d have lost some of the dog in him like Conor did

Conor had more potential but he was always more interested in fame and money than a UFC legacy. Dustin's the better fighter now.

Nate was #4 and Cerrone #5 when Conor beat them.

But don't let facts get in the way of your narrative.
Not at the weight he chose to fight them at bud. He got finished by an off the couch Diaz when he was supposed to be fighting for the title, then came back and won a decision. Cowboy was essentially a punching bag when Connor fought him and had been tkod twice in the last 6 months prior to their fight. Kind of amazing he was even cleared to fight.

In terms of the eye test, neither win was particularly impressive to me. He fought a war of attrition against a perennial gatekeeper in Diaz, and while he was dominant against Cerrone that’s basically worthless to me given the place Cowboy was at in his career.

In terms of ranking, neither win took place at the weight class where the guy was actually ranked so it loses a lot of its value right there.

Either way you run it neither win looks particularly good.

Not at the weight he chose to fight them at bud. He got finished by an off the couch Diaz when he was supposed to be fighting for the title, then came back and won a decision. Cowboy was essentially a punching bag when Connor fought him and had been tkod twice in the last 6 months prior to their fight. Kind of amazing he was even cleared to fight.

In terms of the eye test, neither win was particularly impressive to me. He fought a war of attrition against a perennial gatekeeper in Diaz, and while he was dominant against Cerrone that’s basically worthless to me given the place Cowboy was at in his career.

In terms of ranking, neither win took place at the weight class where the guy was actually ranked so it loses a lot of its value right there.

Either way you run it neither win looks particularly good.
Nate who can beat Conor in between his two utterly dominant two divisional title wins isn't impressive.

Okay there.

Nate who can beat Conor in between his two utterly dominant two divisional title wins isn't impressive.

Okay there.
Nate is impressive because he beat Conor, therefore Conor beating Nate is impressive.

Flawless.

McGregor but somehow Poirier has the better-looking wins resume.

I think McGregor also peaked in more opportune times and was given better opportunities because of his charisma.

most of the dedicated MMA fans like or respect Poirier more.

Conor.

Peak sober Conor washes DP.

And unfocused filthy rich Conor was winning until the career ending injury occurred.

Nate is impressive because he beat Conor, therefore Conor beating Nate is impressive.

Flawless.
tumblr_nzxx5yEr621sl21koo1_540.gif

McGregor but somehow Poirier has the better-looking wins resume.
What win does Poirier have anywhere near as good as Aldo? Or Eddie when he was champion, not after Conor had already starched him?

Say Poirier's got more top wins sure. Better no.

I think McGregor also peaked in more opportune times and was given better opportunities because of his charisma.
What lol.

Poirier got to fight the #1 FW contender in his UFC debut. He got Conor on his way up for practically #1 contender fight. An interim title shot against a FW he'd already beaten instead of having to fight Tony. The Conor rematches, their massive purses, and the choice to take them or a vacant title shot against Oliveira. Tons of main events and co-mains. He's apparently getting his 5th title shot after only beating BSD, over Justin and Charles who've recently beaten him and are ranked ahead. His hot sauce is the official hot sauce of the UFC over Rogan's.

Etc.

The UFC throws opportunities left and right at Poirier lol.

For me the better fighter is the one with the best resume and that is Dustin.

For me the better fighter is the one with the best resume and that is Dustin.
So you're going quantity > quality? Cause Mendes, Aldo, and Eddie are all higher ranked wins than Dustin's ever had.

In fact post-Conor loss Eddie at #3 is still to this day Dustin's highest ranked win ever.

Dustin has more stamina and is better all round. Conor has more quit in him, either gives his back or cheats.

Conor is the more talented and interesting striker at his best... but, Dustin better overall fighter for sure.

Also what is the point about common opponents... how is Conor 3-2? He beat everyone except for Khabib.

Dustin has more stamina and is better all round. Conor has more quit in him, either gives his back or cheats.

Conor is the more talented and interesting striker at his best... but, Dustin better overall fighter for sure.

Also what is the point about common opponents... how is Conor 3-2? He beat everyone except for Khabib.
I think Duffy is the other common opponent TS is referring to

Dustin is the man but he hasn't accomplished any of the things Conor has. We can all hate and make fun of Conor but he was a beast in his prime. Winning two real belts trumps winning zero real belts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back