Does dana even like volk?

He wanted Ortega to win because Mexican audience... he lost money last night, that's why he was sour. He doesn't even hide it either, he's a clown.
Exactly what I assume as well.

I honestly think Dana is completely indifferent on who wins and loses. I can’t imagine after doing this for 25 years that he is personally invested in the outcomes. I think all of this is just routine for him. After the fight he writes some notes and gets prepared for next meeting
So you're telling me he never got mad when Connor lost or Rhonda or Sage

He wanted Ortega to win because Mexican audience... he lost money last night, that's why he was sour. He doesn't even hide it either, he's a clown.
He didn’t lose money last night…..

People want to put emotion in it instead of recognizing it’s just business…
That’s all I’m saying.

The fans have emotion. Dana makes a lot of money playing those emotions, regardless of who wins.

Sometimes it’s easier and sometimes it’s harder.

But for fans to project their emotions onto Dana (like a fat girl calling other girls fat) is….well, I’m just saying after almost 20 years I’ve never seen any compelling evidence of it.

I mean, it's not exactly surprising is it? Volk is an ugly little manlet with the charisma of a chair.

Plus his fighting style against Max was putrid and he stunk it out a bit for the wins.

Yesterday's fight was excellent though, and he did show championship level heart and grit. A couple more fights like those and he may become more marketable.
But you're a flowchart rog.. that's more boring than anything Volk could do!

That’s all I’m saying.

The fans have emotion. Dana makes a lot of money playing those emotions, regardless of who wins.

Sometimes it’s easier and sometimes it’s harder.

But for fans to project their emotions onto Dana (like a fat girl calling other girls fat) is….well, I’m just saying after almost 20 years I’ve never seen any compelling evidence of it.
Well, he was definitely mad after Cain - JDS 1……

But yeah, people project…..they are overly emotional.

Well, he was definitely mad after Cain - JDS 1……

But yeah, people project…..they are overly emotional.
Ha! Totally :) but not mad at Cain. Mad that they had a fucking hour committed to the thing and they had to come up with something to do for 50 minutes lol.

My guess is he was mad at whoever programmed that shit. Either himself or Fox Executives. And my guess is that in a nanosecond, he realized they’d fucked up.

Commentary was really one-sided towards the beginning of the fight last night

Yeah, the Ortega love was excessive,
but they are human and probably know him personally. It’s hard to hide love for a person you know well. The same could be said with Dana and Max. Dana has known Max for over a decade and he’s brought it every fight. It is what it is….

When Alexa and Siri get better they will be calling fights in the future.

So you're telling me he never got mad when Connor lost or Rhonda or Sage

I’m telling you it’s a job. Like any job after you do it long enough everything becomes routine. Stars come and go. People win and lose.

I strongly doubt after 25 years that he, Mick Maynard, Sean Shelby, or Hunter Campbell get emotionally invested in outcomes. I think fight results for them are just data points to discuss in their next meeting.

Volk is unmarketable and doesn't have the poster boy aura about him

Not really. He's marketable as fuck to Australia. Volk comes across as a pretty typical, down to earth Australian guy. That sort of person appeals to the vast majority of us Australians.

It's good business for the UFC to have at least one Aussie champ.

Dana likes his business.
I don't think he ever show personal like or dislike for any of the fighters, but for their relation with the business itself, and for how much they benefit or not the company.

That was a long time ago, and even so, his mind was above his feelings and Ken still fought many main events with Dana holding his press conferences.
Sometimes you'll have good/ bad feelings about your co-workers but a professional won't let them muddle their reason.

He said he personally hates the Shamrocks.

I don't think it's a personal dislike but he certainly has business preferences for some.

Ortega is a tall good looking kid from California- a huge market.

Volk is a weird looking little guy from a smaller market.

And yes the UFC would love the sport to be big in Australia- but you don't want a lot pf persistent champs from small markets. That's costing you viewers. Over time that adds up to a lot of money lost on what should be your BIGGEST fights that you want the most eyes on.

One champ from a smaller market to hype that market up or who win occasionally is enough. When your champs are from USA, or Britain or China you draw more eyes= more money, simple as that. He already has Izzy & Tuivasa doing good repping the region. As a business you don't want to major in the minors...

Ireland and Mexico would also be favoured simply because massive amount of Americans still associate themselves with those places & turn out support- St Patricks day. The Irish used to joke about how many Americans claim to be Irish when I lived there.

I'm sure Dana will start to warm up now that Volk has a lot of fan buzz. He's pragmatic. He likes guys who give him wars & generate buzz. Volk is now giving him that and is starting to become more vocal in the interviews and media as well. That helps.

He didn’t lose money last night…..

Rose and Sterling are the only American champions and one of them has a mighty big question mark.

Ask yourself which is going to lead to more sales...

Rose and Sterling are the only American champions and one of them has a mighty big question mark.

Ask yourself which is going to lead to more sales...
I’m not suggesting there’s no financial upuside to certain guys winning for the ufc as a company. That doesn’t mean last night was a bad night for the ufc or Dana’s personal wealth.

They are always prepared for either outcome and not overly emotional about it. The winner is always a ufc fighter.

And being American isn’t the end all. They are perfectly happy with Israel, Francis, Moreno, Valentina as champs. Usman is coming along too (and is a US citizen).

Back