Disney claims Vader fan film and now will profit off it

Well, this is why I won't be watching the next Star Wars at the theater.

Really- thats the reason why? It has nothing to do with pretty much every SW movie except Rogue One has been underwhelming?

Has no one here ever seen that message before from youtube? It's pretty standard. If you make a video of any sorts, put some cool music on it, and post it on Youtube, you get that email because of the music. It even said in the email, it was the Imperial March song. It's not his music, so he can't make money off of it, I mean, that's just the way it works. Youtube isn't taking the video down or anything, but that's part of the rules.

However, it does make me wonder, what if he were to take the video down, have his own music made... or, find some royalty free music, and put it back up. I wonder if it will still get flagged. I dont know. Sucks, but those are the rules on Youtube.

Has no one here ever seen that message before from youtube? It's pretty standard. If you make a video of any sorts, put some cool music on it, and post it on Youtube, you get that email because of the music. It even said in the email, it was the Imperial March song. It's not his music, so he can't make money off of it, I mean, that's just the way it works. Youtube isn't taking the video down or anything, but that's part of the rules.

However, it does make me wonder, what if he were to take the video down, have his own music made... or, find some royalty free music, and put it back up. I wonder if it will still get flagged. I dont know. Sucks, but those are the rules on Youtube.

All hed have to do is grab a keyboard, change 1 or 2 notes, and hed be off scott free.

Vanilla ice did the same thing when he used the same basic bassline from 'Under pressure". But he added a few extra notes (like 2) and I'm pretty sure he never had to pay up.

Of course, he could just not go through all that trouble, and just edit out the song and add something completely different, like you said. Maybe a public domain song. Just a dark, treble heavy version of "row your boat"

i've been going down the rabbit hole of fan made Star Wars films lately, and a good portion of them are better than ANYTHING Disney has put out with the Star Wars name.
The fan made backstory of Darth Maul is light years better than anything Disney has done with SW.
The Vader one that Disney decided to monetize was decent, but not as good as the Darth Maul one.

I don’t see the big deal here.

It’s known that you can’t make money off of a fan made film. If anything this guy is getting tons of publicity and could be picked up by a studio. Maybe Disney will do it to save face.

All hed have to do is grab a keyboard, change 1 or 2 notes, and hed be off scott free.

Vanilla ice did the same thing when he used the same basic bassline from 'Under pressure". But he added a few extra notes (like 2) and I'm pretty sure he never had to pay up.

Of course, he could just not go through all that trouble, and just edit out the song and add something completely different, like you said. Maybe a public domain song. Just a dark, treble heavy version of "row your boat"

My brother and his friends do some amateur film making sometimes, especially when a film festival rolls around. Some of them are good with instruments, so they've made their own music before. One of them did a violin background score to a light saber fight they made one time. It was pretty decent.

Anyways, there are definitely ways to go about it. I know it would suck losing iconic star wars music for a star wars based film, but if the fan film is really as good as people are saying, it shouldnt need it.

They’re doing it to discourage anyone else from exploiting their IP. No great shock. Still, fuck Disney.

They’re doing it to discourage anyone else from exploiting their IP. No great shock. Still, fuck Disney.

I used some music from John Wick as a background theme to an rc car video I made. Posted it on Youtube, got that exact same email. Video didn't get taken down or anything, and I wasnt trying to make money anyways. So it didn't matter. But yeah, I guess fuck disney anyways

It's just a legal thing... Disney needs to claim it as their property and the best way to do that legally is to monetize it. It's not about the money, it's about that when you pay for something there's a legal acknowledgment of ownership.

If Disney doesn't do this they could lose the rights, so they really have no choice.

That said, they should pay the director and his crew a fee otherwise they risk getting in serious trouble with unions that work on their other films.

..In the Star Wars universe.

They've done a great job with Marvel though. It makes you wonder how they've ballsed Star Wars up so badly.
They let someone who didn’t care about the property run it.

Supposedly Disney reports lower earnings and it was blamed on the Star Wars acquisition

Star Wars is a franchise that should have died after the end of ROTJ.

Everything since has proved it.
TFA was nice, but no original ideas. I doubt the next one will redeem SW.

Lucas got out at the right time

I disagree. The clone wars cartoon series is proof Star Wars didn’t need to die

That Mickey Mouse is such an asshole! I hope that trap gets him one day.

maxresdefault.jpg

I disagree. The clone wars cartoon series is proof Star Wars didn’t need to die
Ahsoka
Ahsoka-Gif-04202017.gif

and Kyle Katarn alone are proof Star Wars fatigue is a myth
PessimisticExcellentIndianpangolin-max-1mb.gif

With KOTOR 1 & 2, the classic Battlefronts, Empire at War etc... Star Wars should be flourishing still. Its decline falls on Kathleen Kennedy, her enablers at Disney, and the dimwits who gave EA exclusivity on creating games

Ultimately, it's epic fails all around for Bob Iger! What a shitshow!

Ahsoka
Ahsoka-Gif-04202017.gif

and Kyle Katarn alone are proof Star Wars fatigue is a myth
PessimisticExcellentIndianpangolin-max-1mb.gif

With KOTOR 1 & 2, the classic Battlefronts, Empire at War etc... Star Wars should be flourishing still. Its decline falls on Kathleen Kennedy, her enablers at Disney, and the dimwits who gave EA exclusivity on creating games

Ultimately, it's epic fails all around for Bob Iger! What a shitshow!

All they had to do was make Luke Skywalker awesome and put the big 3 on screen together again and they failed miserably.

All they had to do was make Luke Skywalker awesome and put the big 3 on screen together again and they failed miserably.
All they really needed to do was take Alliston and Stackpole's books and make them movies

The Thrawn/Zsinj/Capturing Corucscant sets would have been trilogies all by themselves.

All they really needed to do was take Alliston and Stackpole's books and make them movies

The Thrawn/Zsinj/Capturing Corucscant sets would have been trilogies all by themselves.

I’m happy we didn’t see the thrawn trilogy and a corny clone Luke Skywalker.

I can't believe they erased that majesty from canon. I wish Lucas had a lot of the EU be maintained in the contract. He was alway always a big supporter of it. Some of it is shit of course, but I never expected to see something as bad as the Last Jedi on screen. It's still mind boggling.

I can understand them wanting more creative control outside the films, but god damn it's been disappointing so far.

I’m happy we didn’t see the thrawn trilogy and a corny clone Luke Skywalker.
Yeah, the clone was weird but most of the rest of it was gold.

I can't believe they erased that majesty from canon. I wish Lucas had a lot of the EU be maintained in the contract. He was alway always a big supporter of it. Some of it is shit of course, but I never expected to see something as bad as the Last Jedi on screen. It's still mind boggling.

I can understand them wanting more creative control outside the films, but god damn it's been disappointing so far.
At minimum everything up to and including the Zsinj shit from the X-Wing series should have remained IMO. Was fucking awesome shit as was the last two books of the bounty hunter sagas with Boba Fett.

Back