Disney claims Vader fan film and now will profit off it

Star Wars is a franchise that should have died after the end of ROTJ.

Everything since has proved it.
TFA was nice, but no original ideas. I doubt the next one will redeem SW.

Lucas got out at the right time

I can't see your average Disney consumer giving a shit about some youtubers plight here.

Most Disney consumers by my guess are parents who couldn't gaf about this sorta thing.

Disney is a juggernaut, this is a fart in the wind.
We're not talking about casual Disney customers. The average Disney consumer didn't give a shit about Solo (lost 50+ million), and they aren't buying Star Wars merchandise apparently.

6.4 million Star Wars fans watched the first episode of that youtubers video you're making light of. Disney should definitely care about them. They bought the IP for 4 billion after-all. On the heels of such a downward trend, why piss the fanbase off further?

I wonder if this is the start of a trend of IP owners taking a mafia style taste of fan-created content, rather than serving them cease and desist orders?

We're not talking about casual Disney customers. The average Disney consumer didn't give a shit about Solo (lost 50+ million), and they aren't buying Star Wars merchandise apparently.

6.4 million Star Wars fans watched the first episode of that youtubers video you're making light of. Disney should definitely care about them. They bought the IP for 4 billion after-all. On the heels of such a downward trend, why piss the fanbase off further?
I would laugh so fucking hard if they paid half a billion for the IP and lose billions because people got SW fatigue just after they bought it

How are they pissing off the fanbase?

That entire fanbase cares about this dudes plight?

I'm not defending Disney, just being realistic.

The fanboys just want great Star Wars movies, not social justice

Because Lucasfilm in the past couple years has been notorious for insulting their fans and not listening to them.

Now Disney doing this makes things even worse. Before I could defend Disney by pointing out that Marvel Studios has been doing great under their umbrella. But now this is just a reminder that the hardcore Star Wars fanbase isn't being treated with respect. What they did to Star Wars Theory, while totally within their rights, was just flat out callous, greedy, and tone deaf.

This video highlights how to treat fans:

Long version a bit too repetitive, but demonstrates how SW fans are treated compared to Marvel fans

Last edited:
I can't see your average Disney consumer giving a shit about some youtubers plight here.

Most Disney consumers by my guess are parents who couldn't gaf about this sorta thing.

Disney is a juggernaut, this is a fart in the wind.

Honestly I think the more hardcore element of the Starwars fanbase is not to be underestimated, its much larger than is typical of most franchises.

The main lesson of this should I'd say me for Disney to pay more attension to what went down best in their SW films so far, the Vader sections in Rogue One that this fan film draws heavily on. That to me seems like by far the most fertile ground for any future films and Disney should I'd say make that there next film after finishing the sequels.

Because Lucasfilm in the past couple years has been notorious for insulting their fans and not listening to them.

Now Disney doing this makes things even worse. Before I could defend Disney by pointing out that Marvel Studios has been doing great under their umbrella. But now this is just a reminder that the hardcore Star Wars fanbase isn't being treated with respect. What they did to Star Wars Theory, while totally within their rights, was just flat out callous, greedy, and tone deaf.

This video highlights how to treat fans:

Again, I dont see the connection between Disney flexing their muscles to claim their copyright ownership of the SW property over this guy, and SW fans feeling disrespected and hard done by with regards to the quality of movies they are putting out.

I'm confident that all the fans care about is good movies being put out, not minor fan fiction filmmakers being disregarded for disney profits. It's very noble and high minded to empathise with this dude, but not enough people give a shit, and the fact remains SW is IP belonging to disney - you want to use their material you must know it doesn't belong to you in any way, and therefore the profits made from it.

And that's all I got to say about that.

I'm not saying the entire fanbase is going to care about it, or even hear about it, but enough of them will. Considering the state of Star Wars right now, it's a bad move to put more stink on the IP. The creator made a response to it, and after only 12 hours, it almost has 500k views. Who wants that kind of negative attention in the best of times

Again, I dont see the connection between Disney flexing their muscles to claim their copyright ownership of the SW property over this guy, and SW fans feeling disrespected and hard done by with regards to the quality of movies they are putting out.

I'm confident that all the fans care about is good movies being put out, not minor fan fiction filmmakers being disregarded for disney profits. It's very noble and high minded to empathise with this dude, but not enough people give a shit, and the fact remains SW is IP belonging to disney - you want to use their material you must know it doesn't belong to you in any way, and therefore the profits made from it.

And that's all I got to say about that.
That's because you didn't see the right video. I posted the wrong one by accident then edited my post.

Thor Skywalker breaks it down perfectly, especially near the end. No way you can not understand the connection after hearing his breakdown. and he is NOT an angry hater. He's the most calm, reasonable fan.

I'm pretty sure Sherdog would love to do a TLJ fan film

let's begin with replacing rose's actress from this

1*Y6qG3YihdwIUxOTIykamhg.png

to this

nagini-voldemort.jpg

<Y2JSmirk>

good diversity

The Content ID fucks another youtuber. Tell me the news now.

I feel for the dude, but no one should be surprised that a multi-billion dollar enterprise are a bunch of schemers.

Pathetic. Disney allowed this guy to make this fan film as long as he didn't use it to make revenue. Then the fan film comes out. Fans say it's better than anything Disney Star Wars has done.

Disney then claims the fan film as their own. Now they will profit off of it via ad revenue.

And the mainstream media is not covering this. Pathetic.

Can't watch, at work. Did it go through the courts? Can Disney show it whenever/whereever they want, or are they just getting add money when the filmmaker shows it?

This me right here. I dont care about this dude at all.

I am not sure if TS considers me a casual cause I seen Solo and I buy toys and I love star wars and gonna watch all they movies. So maybe I am die hard but this doesnt matter to me at all.

hope they add these films to the blue rays so I can watch it when I buy them.

Last edited:
Disney about to fuck up marvel too with the Captain Marvel saved by a hoe shit they are about to try and pull

All I see is misrepresenting facts in order to promote some fan film. Like what did you think was gonna happen? You kid! We sure admire your gumption? You're hired?!

Not even you believed that.

In due course, I believe Disney has already made its money back from the SW investment. Now it's just iceskating on y'all tears.

This me right here. I dont care about this dude at all.

I am not sure if TS considers me a casual cause I seen Solo and I buy toys and I love star wars and gonna watch all they movies. So maybe I am die hard but this doesnt matter to me at all.

hope they add these films to the blue rays so I can watch it when I buy them.
Not a casual.

But anyone who liked the fan film should be disappointed by this.

Can't watch, at work. Did it go through the courts? Can Disney show it whenever/whereever they want, or are they just getting add money when the filmmaker shows it?
Didn't go through the courts.

This guy, SW Theory, and their legal team were in contact with Lucasfilm or Disney throughout the entire production process to make sure they had their blessing. It appears they did.

So he was totally caught off guard and surprised today. Because this was pretty much free Star Wars advertising for Disney in a time where Star Wars isn't exactly in a good spot. Over 6 million viewers and the whole SW community giving it glowing reviews.

All I see is misrepresenting facts in order to promote some fan film. Like what did you think was gonna happen? You kid! We sure admire your gumption? You're hired?!

Not even you believed that.

In due course, I believe Disney has already made its money back from the SW investment. Now it's just iceskating on y'all tears.

I don't see any gif or stupid meme in there. Not gonna read!

Back