Disney claims Vader fan film and now will profit off it

Eusung

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
UPDATE: Lucasfilm orders Warner Chappell to remove claim

Good ending to this. Good on whoever in Lucasfilm took action. Anyway, in Star Wars tradition fan passion projects like these have always been supported by Lucasfilm under George Lucas. Some even getting awards.

It got confusing with Warner Chappell being the one directly issuing the claim. I was following this story and discussing it mainly on theforce.net, blu-ray.com, and neogaf. I forgot to update it here.

I thought Disney could reverse this if they wanted to even if they are not the ones who made this claim, they must have some pull here. But I was jaded in light of the James Gunn firing which I still disagree with. In that situation it felt like Marvel wanted to keep him on but Disney wouldn't budge.

Well looks like Lucasfilm had enough pull to get this reversed, while being under Disney meaning Disney must have ok'd it.

So yeah this OP I made was a a bit knee jerk. And I can honestly say this is a pleasant surprise in that I never expected a Lucasfilm helping out and reaching to a fan story coming.

Pathetic. Disney allowed this guy to make this fan film as long as he didn't use it to make revenue. Then the fan film comes out. Fans say it's better than anything Disney Star Wars has done.

Disney then claims the fan film as their own. Now they will profit off of it via ad revenue.

And the mainstream media is not covering this. Pathetic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Disney must be struggling for money, someone should start a GoFundMe account for them.

That’s fucked off, they told him he could make it but not monitize it.

It got popular and THEY monitized it for themselves.

Jesus

That was the wrong thing to do, they shouldn't have done that.

Why didn't they let him profit too? It could have been a feel good story. What a bunch of C flaps!

I'm pretty sure Sherdog would love to do a TLJ fan film

The irony is that Star Wars Theory partly did this passion project to unite the fan base.

George Lucas rewarded fan passion projects if I recall correctly.

This was likely some low level lawyer, who spends his days sending out infringement notices. Star wars Theory has done everything asked of him, including no crowdfuding, and no profiting off the film. He spent 100k of his own money, to make his own Star wars film. He paid a composer to create music for it, and it turns out about 3 seconds of a scene, sounds similar to one of the songs in the prequel films. They could have sent him a email, and he likely would have edited it out right away. Instead they are creating more bad will among the fans. I bet this get reversed.

Fuck Disney. They ruin everything they touch

Why didn't they let him profit too? It could have been a feel good story. What a bunch of C flaps!

Rich people dont get rich by giving their money away to other people.

Disney is not a philanthropic organisation

Fuck Disney. They ruin everything they touch

..In the Star Wars universe.

They've done a great job with Marvel though. It makes you wonder how they've ballsed Star Wars up so badly.

Rich people dont get rich by giving their money away to other people.

Disney is not a philanthropic organisation
This is terrible PR. In the face of a divided fanbase, big losses in their last movie, and merchandise, is the ad revenue worth it?

The Last Jedi tells us about how rich people are awful for using the work of other people without paying them for profit.

Here Disney, a corporate juggernaut, is using someone else's hard work without paying him for ad money.

This is terrible PR. In the face of a divided fanbase, big losses in their last movie, and merchandise, is the ad revenue worth it?

I can't see your average Disney consumer giving a shit about some youtubers plight here.

Most Disney consumers by my guess are parents who couldn't gaf about this sorta thing.

Disney is a juggernaut, this is a fart in the wind.

Back