Disney claims Vader fan film and now will profit off it

Rich people dont get rich by giving their money away to other people.

Disney is not a philanthropic organisation
Right,

But rich people (companies) can recognize that in today's day and age, that great content that can benefit them can come from anywhere and instead of penalizing it, they can support it.

This is kind of akin to the battles between Open Source and Proprietary Software. One company with deep pockets trying to create and control the content VS others who allow the masses to create and ad to the content based on what they know they want as users and fans.

MS an early fighter of Open Source started to lose their market share and then once they embraced it they came back to prominence. Android also is a big example of Open Source working.

Disney, imo, should be creating an environment of revenue sharing and fostering fans to be excited and engaged where ultimately Disney owns all rights but 'fans' can share in the monetization of their work.

But this reeks of some crusty old short sighted lawyers trying to protect their turf.

We're not talking about casual Disney customers. The average Disney consumer didn't give a shit about Solo (lost 50+ million), and they aren't buying Star Wars merchandise apparently.

6.4 million Star Wars fans watched the first episode of that youtubers video you're making light of. Disney should definitely care about them. They bought the IP for 4 billion after-all. On the heels of such a downward trend, why piss the fanbase off further?
Its even more than that. Fan created work should be looked at almost as a Free Focus group. Wait nix that, its a focus group that pays Disney as it generates revenue for them.

In one instance you have the corporate bigwigs saying 'we know what fans want. We have the pulse and will give them X'. On the other hand you have real fan led grass roots initiatives that either gain traction or die on the vine. They gain traction by garning views. As they gain traction you may see more such fan work. And Disney can benefit from all the ones that gain traction and they can start to mirror in their own productions what the fans want to see.

Companies like Disney will spend multi millions in their marketing budgets trying to figure out what fans want. Focus grup, polling, etc. That is the old school way. This new school way does exactly that and it actually pay Disney.

This was likely some low level lawyer, who spends his days sending out infringement notices. Star wars Theory has done everything asked of him, including no crowdfuding, and no profiting off the film. He spent 100k of his own money, to make his own Star wars film. He paid a composer to create music for it, and it turns out about 3 seconds of a scene, sounds similar to one of the songs in the prequel films. They could have sent him a email, and he likely would have edited it out right away. Instead they are creating more bad will among the fans. I bet this get reversed.
Well, this is why I won't be watching the next Star Wars at the theater.

MV5BMTA0Mjc0NzExNzBeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU3MDEzMzQ3MDI@._V1_UY317_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Apologize.

Pathetic. Disney allowed this guy to make this fan film as long as he didn't use it to make revenue. Then the fan film comes out. Fans say it's better than anything Disney Star Wars has done.

Disney then claims the fan film as their own. Now they will profit off of it via ad revenue.

And the mainstream media is not covering this. Pathetic.

Few things are dumber than expecting a corporation to do right by you. He took a chance. He asked to create a film, based on copyright protected material. He given every red flag that the project might go wrong. He admits he took a chance. Then the corporations comes along and takes control of the product containing their copyrighted material. No surprises here.

Also, every car, every medication, every piece of equipment, and every tech gadget you own contains the intellectual and creative work of someone who was probably underpaid or cut out. There is far less riding on whether he gets youtube compensation.

Instead worry about the thousands of inventors, doctors, engineers, etc who are screwed out of billions of dollars every year through true and relevant intellectual theft.

Instead worry about the thousands of inventors, doctors, engineers, etc who are screwed out of billions of dollars every year through true and relevant intellectual theft.

You know why I know you like hiphop?

..In the Star Wars universe.

They've done a great job with Marvel though. It makes you wonder how they've ballsed Star Wars up so badly.

Same company but different people running Marvel and Star Wars. One clearly knows what they are doing and the other is destroying a franchise.

Another millennial can't come to terms with the fact that a big corporation doesn't care about him/her.

Young people of today, you don't matter! Stop acting like you do.

The Last Jedi tells us about how rich people are awful for using the work of other people without paying them for profit.

Here Disney, a corporate juggernaut, is using someone else's hard work without paying him for ad money.
2Lu7.gif

let's begin with replacing rose's actress from this

1*Y6qG3YihdwIUxOTIykamhg.png

to this

nagini-voldemort.jpg

<Y2JSmirk>

good diversity
Good decision.

I can already imagine the first scene would be lesbian sex in the millenium falcon between her:
Claudia-Kim-Feature-min.jpg

And Rose Tico's hot sister:
e1f5c413a193c8d1c583ac90c3f95550.jpg

After they have thoroughly satisfied themselves, the next scene should be Rose Tico and Jar Jar Binks being tortured.

What did this guy expect. Disney see a YT video doing well with there IP so have decided to cash in on it.

I do think Disney should work with this guy though. Maybe reimburse him for the film and pay him to keep making these short films. They will make there money back from the ads and keep the SW universe happy.

He can pull the video down off of his YT channel though, that way Disney cannot monetize it. He should do that, pull the music that was claimed, and then re-upload.

What the hell did this guy expect? He’s using someone else’s IP (SW characters, SW universe, etc.). He didn’t appear to get the proper legal protection required to do so. He doesn’t appear to have a leg to stand on legally, so he has taken to YT to complain and rally the troops.

He can whine about this on YT and tug on our heartstrings all he wants, but this was executed poorly from what I can tell. And the rationale that Disney has deep pockets and this is pennies to them is the rationale of a child. Disney has every right to protect their IP, otherwise this sets a bad legal precedent.

He can pull the video down off of his YT channel though, that way Disney cannot monetize it. He should do that, pull the music that was claimed, and then re-upload.
He can also demonetize it.

YouTube flags music on its own. It errs on the side of overcautious. Apparently, Disney doesn't control the music licensing completely, but rather there's this odd relationship with Universal and a third party manages the day to day.

He can also demonetize it.

YouTube flags music on its own. It errs on the side of overcautious. Apparently, Disney doesn't control the music licensing completely, but rather there's this odd relationship with Universal and a third party manages the day to day.
He did not monitize it, Disney did

What the hell did this guy expect? He’s using someone else’s IP (SW characters, SW universe, etc.). He didn’t appear to get the proper legal protection required to do so. He doesn’t appear to have a leg to stand on legally, so he has taken to YT to complain and rally the troops.

He can whine about this on YT and tug on our heartstrings all he wants, but this was executed poorly from what I can tell. And the rationale that Disney has deep pockets and this is pennies to them is the rationale of a child. Disney has every right to protect their IP, otherwise this sets a bad legal precedent.

Perhaps you should go back and read up on what this fan film is and how it was made. Then comment. It looks like you just skimmed through this thread without watching the video or doing any research and prematurely added your 2 cents.

He did everything you claim he didn't do.

Additionally, you should maybe research how many fan films/video shorts are out there on Star Wars. Some of them have gotten George Lucas's attention in a GOOD way and he actually rewarded them.

And if you think he is "whining", I'd hate to have you as a supervisor or manager. He was letting us know that he is not the one who will be putting up ads so that he won't get a lynch mob of people calling him a liar.

Perhaps you should go back and read up on what this fan film is and how it was made. Then comment. It looks like you just skimmed through this thread without watching the video or doing any research and prematurely added your 2 cents.

He did everything you claim he didn't do.

Additionally, you should maybe research how many fan films/video shorts are out there on Star Wars. Some of them have gotten George Lucas's attention in a GOOD way and he actually rewarded them.

And if you think he is "whining", I'd hate to have you as a supervisor or manager. He was letting us know that he is not the one who will be putting up ads so that he won't get a lynch mob of people calling him a liar.
I watched the video before commenting. He didn’t make a compelling case in the video. At all. Getting assurance from Lucasfilm could mean number of things, many of which aren’t legally binding in the least.

What legal protection does he have? Since you’re more we’ll-versed on the case, and contend that he’s done this, i’ll try and keep an open mind here. As such, should I now await his success in the courtroom?

Whatever George Lucas has done in the past has no bearing on how Disney will react to fan films like this. I assume they have full latitude to address these films and protect their IP whenever and however they see fit.

Back