I'm Finally Watching The Mandalorian

The problem with Disney is that Mandolorian was the only show doing well so they started shoe-horning other show characters into it and the last season was so unbalanced and all over the place. They hope that having episodes focusing on Ashoka , Boba, the lady Mando that people will then want to watch their respective shows. They need to cut that shit out and just have Mando, Gina Carano (back) , Baby Yoda and nobody else going on adventures episode to episode like the first season.

If they replace Mando with that lady moving forward then you might as well just cancel the series now because nobody has any interest in her or her story line.
Non Gina Mandalorian sucks

You should give Andor a shot. The writing is miles ahead of the other recent Star Wars projects and the show as a whole is very well done. There are some very strong performances too and I honestly think it's the best piece of media Disney has produced since buying the property from George (although that's not really saying much).

It's a bit of a slow burn, but the heist and prison episodes are fucking awesome.

It's crazy to me that the same company that shat out OWK put Andor out a couple months later. Complete insanity.
Shows just how important the writers and directors are. Hire the ones who understand the job.

Shows just how important the writers and directors are. Hire the ones who understand the job.
I think thats the massive mistake Disney made, seems like they really bought into the whole culture around the prequel takedowns that the problem was directors taking franchises too seriously, that you needed someone who would stick to a cheap formula.

Honestly I felt OWK was "ok" but mostly because it obviously stuck quite closely to the production style of stuff like Rogue One, Mando, etc which I'm guessing is pretty "in house" now post sequels? rather uneven but the fact it mostly looked and sounded the part plus had McGregor was enough to make it worth watching. Definately not on the same level as Rogue One, Mando or Andor though, the SW of the Disney era that its really worth seeking out more the same kind of level of the Solo film, passable but lacking in real inspiration and rather uneven.

I do tend to wonder whether part of the issue is execs like Kennedy are actually more afraid of directors/writers who are a bit more ambitious and actually fans of the franchise. You hire a hack to do a job and they do what you say, you hire someone with more ambition to do it and there more likelty to do what they want and perhaps more importantly become entrenched in the franchise costing you power as it looks like Feloni and Favreau have with SW.

I think this could maybe explain why franchises like Terminator have been as bad as they have for so long, you end up with execs in a position were they control the franchise, it becomes their meal ticket and they don't want some ambitious director coming in and potentially taking over.

Often it seems like with these really big franchises like SW and the DCEU you have to wait for them to fail before you actually get good stuff being made, you have to wait for the execs to lose some power before anyone with ambition/skill is allowed near a franchise.

Last edited:
Pro tip:

If you watched Mando 1 & 2... you have finished Mando.

Skip 3, forget it exists, & remember the show fondly.

I watched the first 2 seasons and liked it (I'm not a star wars guy in general. I've probably seen 4 or 5 of the movies). I totally forgot to watch season 3. I'll probably just skip it at this point even though I do like Pedro Pascal.

You should give Andor a shot. The writing is miles ahead of the other recent Star Wars projects and the show as a whole is very well done. There are some very strong performances too and I honestly think it's the best piece of media Disney has produced since buying the property from George (although that's not really saying much).

It's a bit of a slow burn, but the heist and prison episodes are fucking awesome.

It's crazy to me that the same company that shat out OWK put Andor out a couple months later. Complete insanity.
Honestly Andor is too good to be mentioned in the same vein as the other SW shows. I don't particularly care for the franchise, I'm even lukewarm on the original trilogy, but Andor was the best show I watched that year.

I was a huge star wars fan growing up, watched teh original trilogy a thousand times, and saw the second trilogy in theaters although it was slightly disappointing. That being said, I cant get into any of this spinoff/prequel/sequel shit. Fuck Disney too. disney + star wars = straight up nerd shit.
I cant believe adults watch this stuff. I feel the same way about superhero movies. besides Dark Knight of course..

Last edited:
The Mandalorian tuned into "Book of Grogu" too much and dropped off with me wishing season 3 didn't exist.

I don't give a shit about the little green booger, give him his own series if you want to sell more dorky looking Grogu merchandise.

1707832370584.png

Yeah Andor is the best SW media we've seen onscreen, probably better than the OT. But commercially it flopped and had the lowest viewership of any Disney SW series. Because casuals pay the bills and casuals are idiots.

Mandalorian was lightning in a bottle and they can't replicate that again. Right place, right time with just the right amount of awesome mixed with the right amount of silliness to be true to the OT formula. Cute baby yoda went viral. Lone Wolf and Cub vibe with some new guy who looks, acts and talks like Boba Fett. Basically a pixel color swap of the same character. And this during COVID lockdowns when people were glued to their TVs.

They'll keep milking the Mando series but since they can't replicate it, they'd rather do formulaic shit like OWK and BOBF featuring known characters from the movies because those get enough views to justify the production cost.

Ahsoka did about half the viewership of OWK and BOBF and worse than anything except Andor. This despite having about the same level of writing as OWK and BOBF (good in some scenes, WTF in others), live action Thrawn and continuation of Rebels storyline. Casuals don't know or care about Clone Wars and Rebels characters. They want Darth Vader, Obi Wan, Boba Fett. Guys they recognize from the big screen.

I’m sure Andor is good but it also seems kinda pointless. We already saw Andor and his fate in Rogue One. I don’t need origin stories for everyone and everything. Give me new stories and ideas.

That’s one of my big pet peeves with Disney Star Wars. Even if it turns out good, I simply don’t need to see when Han met Chewie, how the Death Star plans were stolen, when Obi met young Luke and Leia. Etc, etc. Let us have some imagination please and fill in the gaps ourselves.

I’m sure Andor is good but it also seems kinda pointless. We already saw Andor and his fate in Rogue One. I don’t need origin stories for everyone and everything. Give me new stories and ideas.

That’s one of my big pet peeves with Disney Star Wars. Even if it turns out good, I simply don’t need to see when Han met Chewie, how the Death Star plans were stolen, when Obi met young Luke and Leia. Etc, etc. Let us have some imagination please and fill in the gaps ourselves.

Andor was more than just good - it was the best thing on TV in 2022. It WAS new stories and ideas because it introduced previously unknown characters and events that happened off-screen in the movies and for which we had no knowledge of other than how the next chapter started.

FWIW I didn't give a shit about Andor the character before watching the series, and I still don't. He's like the dude in a pr0no - he's not the focus but is just a foil to enable the story. And the storytelling is excellent. This isn't the story of how I met your mother, this is the story of how secret squirrel shit went down in the SW universe.

Back