• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Chito didn't look confident from the start

This place is cruel as hell to people who lose...

I didn't like the fight either. What I saw was Sandhagen surprised him with solid wrestling I. The first half of the fight. Cheeto had good sprawl in the 2nd half

Sandhagen clearly outpointed him but it wasn't too exciting of a fight. Both lacked urgency especially Vera

That's it. Not gonna call Vera a bum or say he doesn't belong there lol. I hope he brings it next time though

Yes but he clearly showed that he could handle the wrestling when he wanted to.

And of course you will get outpointed when you don't do shit for 5 rounds but the point is that each time he turned on the aggression he was landing.

Very disappointing.

I didn't see that.

I saw the typical "too cool for school" demeanor that Chito has when he's starting slow and feeling out his opponent's tendencies.

The issue was that Sandhagen jumped on him early, moved too well to get hit totally flush and didn't have much of reaction to what landed because he has a good chin.

Chito got outlanded in his last three fights too, but he managed to set up his opponents and catch them with hard shots that turned the fight in his favor.

His problem was not shifting into a higher gear until the very end of the fight.

Really well said.

Chito was doing Chito, the story here is that Sandhagen put on a world class performance and showed up having carefully planned for this fight. He even said it on the mic in his post fight interview - he knew Chito would come on in the later rounds so he took him down and weighed on him. That most definitely made a big difference and was an equalizer.

I thought Chito had the edge coming in to this but Corey had the superior fight IQ, simple as that. When two guys have similar skill levels, the thinking fighter has an advantage.

Corey said it best in the post fight. His reaction to Chito in round 1 just laying on the ground “what are you doing, man?”.

Nah, that’s typical Chito. He waits for the perfect shot and ends up looking bad if he doesn’t find it. Sandhagen gave him too many looks and he couldn’t set up or find the shot he needed.

I feel like Chito is a much more cerebral fighter than he likes to pretend to be. I think he is very calculated in the way he analyzes and attacks opponents. He commonly takes rounds off to make reads, apply the correct pacing/pressure etc., idk.

Sandhagen is a very tough style matchup for him, imo, because Sandhagen gives you SO many different things to think about between stance changes, wrestling, flying knees, spinning attacks, etc.

And it seemed to me that Chito just wasted entirely too much time trying to get reads and stood around taking pictures all night.

Coasting Corey needs more killer instinct.

You'd think that after the Dillashaw fight -- Cory would be very wary of the Judges, and attempt to close out this fight with a Finish or a statement round.

I guess the Leon kick blasting Usman shook Cory -- and he was just satisfied with managing the final three rounds.

He was jaw clenching hard, usually tells me they are nervous coming in, I see this happen a lot to fighters before they get whooped

I didn't see that.

I saw the typical "too cool for school" demeanor that Chito has when he's starting slow and feeling out his opponent's tendencies.
this all day. he started like he always started, then got in a hole and then on top of it couldn't figure sandhagen out at all. nothing to do with a confidence issue, he just got beat, partly by himself and partly by a really good opponent.

Chito is the Derrick Lewis of 35. He sucks. Has nothing but power. He got beat up by Dom, Frankie , and Font. Put him at 45 and he gets wrecked by every contender. Why anyone expected him to beat Sandhagen who actually fights contenders lol
He was a darling for most of us two days ago.
But I think you're right.
His next fight is very telling.

Chito was ranked too high because he beat a couple of a mainstays that are aging out. Corey was too much for him. Corey might not be champion but he is battle tested against contenders for the title. They should have matched Chito with Kungfu Monkey again.

Sanhagen outclassed him and Vera's coach gave him no advice. I was loling and the clown commentators talking like his coach was doing a good job. When Vera went to square up Sanhagen was already gone out of the pocket. The takedowns scored points in the beginning and then functioned to take away even more of Vera's striking later in the fight. Through at least the first three rounds Vera's coach was just asking him if he was ok and telling him to start being more aggressive. He was acting like Vera was way better than this guy and he didn't need any tactical advice. One thing I noticed is that I don't think Vera likes getting hit. Obviously no one likes getting hit but as soon as Sanhagen would connect with him Vera immediately reduced his aggression.

Vera looked like he was asleep except a bit toward the end of the 3rd and the last 30 seconds of the 5th. Sandhagen looked great and used a smart game plan.

Im a chito fan but last night really exposed how slow and unathletic he really is.

It wasnt confidence. He just kind of
got outclassed early on. Corry was much faster on the inside

Cory outclassed em all around. Chito just shelled up like the Font fight except Cory didn't sit there after his combinations to get nailed.

People act like Chito just didn't "turn it on", probably from regurgitating what biased Bisbing says. Fact is Sandhagen was just better. More output, angles, footwork, variety, and wrestling.

His problem was not shifting into a higher gear until the very end of the fight.
Chito seems to have an excellent chin with some pretty good power and even had Cory rocked, which was the biggest strikes of the fight by far. Then throw in how supposedly he has such great cardio, and it doesn't make sense why Chito doesn't do more in the cage. By the time the fight is over, you should be about dead dog tired and Chito never looks close to being this way. So it seems like there is a lot more he could do in a fight to give it his all. I would have liked to see a 5 round fight last night as Chito was starting to land more and press more.

Back