Cannonier is 40, literally turned his back and stumbled away…its over.

lol there was no glazed eyes and he wasn't hurt much at all. What happened was he got hit on the ear and it made his balance go off, if you get hit on the ear clean it can mess your balance up and it takes a few moments to reset and then it comes back, its not a KO blow at all, its a balance thing and its very well known. Cannonier was nowhere near done, awful stoppage, dreadful, ref freaked out way too soon

Your ear effects your balance, not your legs, its called equilibrium, boxers often try to hit the ear for that reason, but its not a KO blow, it only looks weird if you don't watch fighting much, which is what I'm assuming here

You have been living your life thinking you are much smarter than you actually are…This makes zero sense you goober.

Why do people keep bringing up that he is 40? Poatan us like 37, should his next fight be stopped sooner than the fight of a 25 year old would?
Don’t compare Cannonier to Alex…that just silly

The thing about this fight, and these circumstances, and these fighters in particular at this very point in time, when you consider every angle in totality, zoom out, look at the big picture, zoom back in, examine the fine particulates, sleep on it, approach it fresh in the morning, maybe over a cup of coffee, then later on, get high, let that settle, come back to it again, I found, conclusively, that I truly don't give a shit

• Haha
Reactions: YSB
his title aspirations are done that’s for sure.
To be fair, he got his title shot vs. Izzy a few years ago when he was younger. It's too bad he moved to MW pretty late in his career, but it was a good run and he had his chance. I feel worse for Jacare, Yoel and a few others who wasted their prime while Bisping was holding up the title fighting a 46-year Hendo then a former WW who came off a 4-year layff.

He should probably fight Costa and call it a career.

Reactions: mkt
the Louisville Screwjob
giphy-downsized-large.gif
Montreal-2.gif

You can turn in order to move faster and get distance from your opponent, that's not a problem and it doesn't become a problem even if you're in your 40s. As for the people saying "he was done," how do you know? We've seen fighters land a counter in a firefight before and turn the tide. Maybe Imavov gasses? Maybe he breaks his hand on the next punch? And even if he had Cannonier beat, the controversial stoppage takes the shine off his performance, so it's a bad call for both guys.

As for the people saying "he was done," how do you know?
Fight was stopped with Cannonier standing and defending. Second Herzog waved his hands even Imavov looked confused and didn't start celebrating until a few seconds later. This was like the Ankalaev versus Cutelaba stoppage where the referee went overboard to protect a wobbled fighter. It happens.

Jared shouldn't have even been fighting Imavov in the first place he was coming off of wins over Strickland and Vettori. Costa should have gotten this fight while Jared got Sean. This shit is so unbelievably unfair and stupid.

pretty much, they wasted jared's last possible title run
really wish i could see jared and dricus and scrapping at some point

You can turn in order to move faster and get distance from your opponent, that's not a problem and it doesn't become a problem even if you're in your 40s. As for the people saying "he was done," how do you know? We've seen fighters land a counter in a firefight before and turn the tide. Maybe Imavov gasses? Maybe he breaks his hand on the next punch? And even if he had Cannonier beat, the controversial stoppage takes the shine off his performance, so it's a bad call for both guys.
He was done

Imanov is 4 real. Entering the top 5 very soon. Or already did. Prime

Not a terrible stoppage but a bad one.

I agree that Alex doesn’t get the same treatment that other fighters who are up there in years get.

But from what we’ve seen Alex seems to be a Bernard Hopkins type old.
Those are some critical years though. A few years doesn't seem like a lot but the track record seems to show guys can usually hold their ground in late 30s and almost always go off a cliff around 40. Yoel Romero and the unnatural randy couture are the very few that are the exception.

This was not a bad stoppage at all…Cannonier is not going to be the MW champion.

He had his chance, put on a lackluster performance against Izzy and now it’s done.

People hate on Imanov but(despite the clueless commentary from Frazier), Imanov was finding his range and all Cannonier was doing was grabbing and holding him up against the fence(which wins you rounds in the UFC, i guess).

Herzog saw the turning of the back and stumbling, glazed eyes and stopped it. No issues here.
Yes and no.

Yes..... Cannonier is not going to be MW champion. Imanov was finding his range and Cannonier didn't look good.

All true

No..... It was a bad stoppage. It probably wouldn't have made a difference in the outcome. Herzog was early there and should've let it continue.

I picked Imanov because Cannonier is old and even though he hasn't really shown his age this was bound to happen. This is a young man's sport except HW. I think we've seen pick Cannonier and it's only downhill from here.

Did look like he was likely to be finished to me, was taking significant punishment and didnt seem to be able to do anything to stop it.

Turning your back at all in that situation is always going to be a bit of a risk and he did it 3 times.

Last edited:
the ref told him several times to do something. he didnt. defend yourself intelligently doesnt apply only to when you're getting pounded on the ground. it was a good stoppage.

Back