Are you handy?

My dad wasn't the handiest and never really taught me much in terms of house maintenance and being handy. To compensate I tried a summer roofing in my early twenties but lasted a few weeks since I couldn't keep up. Then I did a summer of landscaping but struggled. I am strong and have endurance and a decent work ethic so I was always used as a gopher or for shoveling, less technical aspects of construction.

Now I just bought a house and don't really know what to look for let alone what to work on. I'm using my inspection report as a reference guide, but my buddy, who is quite handy, came over and showed me a bunch of things like having to redo the caulking in the bathroom, some light fixtures need to be changed, and some of the electrical was a bit questionable. It's nerve-wracking and all I see are dollar signs but this is a rite of passage when you buy a home. I'm looking forward to getting better and learning as I go. I've already done the caulking myself and feel pretty good about it.

Next project is laying down new sod in my backyard but I have a good idea of what to do thanks to summer landscaping job 10 years ago.

I'm more of the academic type, but a good and reliable blue collar worker brings a lot of value to society. I hate it when they are looked down upon.

He works pipes alright.
My day job is very white collar, but I like to build things. I basically built my entire house and rebuilt a couple motors, a Cummins common-rail, a Chevy big block, and a Chevy small block.

Yes. I can do a ton of stuff around the home myself. I can't imagine being a man and not being able to do simple shit like replace a garbage disposal, fix a toilet, put in oven elements, replace break pads on a car, etc. You save so much money on that stuff. Plus it's kind of fun and rewarding.

My son shows zero interest in it and even when i force him to watch he gets bored right away and doesn't help at all. Hardly knows how to hammer a nail and gave up right away :( My daughter loves to help with everything and tries until she gets it. That reminds me. I gotta set up out 2 @ 2x4 and they don't came back inside until they hammer in at least 25 nails each.....and then pound them back out and pull them out with the rip claw.
Same here when it comes to doing stuff around the house. He does seem to enjoy cars though.

Its all relative. I do HVACR work for a living so I can do anything related to that. Electrical and plumbing too. I dont think of myself as particularly handy though. I recently bought a used mountain bike and had to rebuild the front shock, adjust the derailer, bleed the brakes and change the brake pads,and install new tires. I was pretty proud of myself as I made it work and was out of my element. It rides like a new bike. Well shit. I guess i am handy lmao

Last edited:
Yes. I can repair most things and have saved myself and others thousands by doing so. I have a lot of other handy people in my family as well so chances are if I don't know how to do it, one of them might.

Not really and I also get angry extremely quickly when tinkering around with something that won't cooperate.

If it's not a simple fix there's probably a 50% chance I break something trying to force something into or out of place.

I feel handy, I feel bendy, I feel dandy, and randy today.

I'd go down, downtown, full-muff-diving on Peter's aunt May.

Oh, I'm horny, I'm so thorny, I'm so gay for Marisa Tomei...

Tomei-header.jpeg

About the only thing I am not super confident with is electrical. I can replace electrical fixtures, lights etc. But wiring stuff I'm not that confident in my ability not to zap the shit out of myself.

I can do some plumbing, haven't done much.

I can do most carpentry related things though with a good degree of success.

I've built some furniture for my house with good success. Also can do some blacksmithing and knife forging.

Ain't no shame in shutting off the main breaker.
Wiring in a residential setting is super easy especially these days with the internet. It's easy to figure out what size breaker, wiring size, etc to use.
Electricity should still be treated with respect.

I replaced a stuck light switch and according to youtube, I looked for a breaker switch to turn off power to that switch first and I'm pretty sure there was none. I tried all switches and light switch still had power.

it took me a little while to figure out my first pair of ratchet straps, but i did. i never tied it like a rope, wtf! lol

I'm a Power Lineman. 15 years in to the trade. So yeah...I can do everything.

I was raised by a dad that had a garage with 10 toolboxes and every tool you could ever think of. he probably didn't even know the name of 100 tools he had, or when/how he even got them, but bygod, he fuckin had them

Did you burn that wood?

I am not the most handy guy, but I'm not a fish out of water either. Some guys I've known cant even change a tire.. that's ridiculous.

But I am far from being a handyman. I've been a damn stoner musician my whole life. I've gotten alot better with age

Nope, just a good sanding, little stain, and three coats of oil based poly...you should make your own Guitar, some dude on YT made one out of colored pencils..

Back