Are you handy?

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Richmma80, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Richmma80

Richmma80 Green Belt

My brother in law bought a new Toyota Tacoma pick up truck. We went to harbor freight to buy a tool cart for his new tools. He bought ratchet straps and I was watching him try to figure out how they work, securing the tool box in the truck bed, and he ended up using them like rope. Even had a nice little bow tie a the end. He tied it like you would your shoestrings. Had to show him how to use ratchet straps. These are very straight forward. There's not much to them. I never got trained nor did I even read the instructions.

I assumed every guy would be able to figure out how to use it just by looking at it.

[​IMG]

2. JabToucher

JabToucher Yellow Card

I expected this to be about couture!

3. DeJulez

DeJulez Yellow Card Yellow Card

4. Sonny Qc

Sonny Qc Gold Belt

same, leaving this thread disappointed...

ssBaldy, Silent Liker and JabToucher like this.
  5. DaleBoca

DaleBoca Gold Belt

Sure, when I need something done or fixed, I use my phone to call up somebody to do it for me.

6. SamSchmidt

SamSchmidt I crossed time for you belt Platinum Member

I still don't know how to operate multi quote on this forum board.

Does that make me computer illiterate?

yamahacrasher and Silent Liker like this.
  7. Jack Stevonovich

Jack Stevonovich Black Belt

speaking of... I don't want to go blind and was wondering if you could help me out with that. What's your sisters number again?

Silent Liker likes this.
  8. Lowmanproblems

Lowmanproblems Red Belt Platinum Member

I'm good at giving myself a hand job. While I have never given another guy a handy, I assume from my vast experience that I would do well.

9. Gutter Chris

Gutter Chris Chiropteran Enthusiast

this thread should be called who grew up without their dad around

10. DaleBoca

DaleBoca Gold Belt

(323) 759-9185.

11. MIKOM

MIKOM Blue Belt

I was brought up using these big boys. I f you were not careful with them you could lose the tip of a finger easily.

[​IMG]

Uber_Noober and mb23100 like this.
  12. MoparOrNoCar

MoparOrNoCar Black Belt

Eh I could see how ratcheting tie down straps could confuse some folks. They're kind of weird in that the big release lever just opens up the ratchet but the small release lever that you have to finger fuck to open is the one that actually loosens the strap up. I've always thought it should be opposite because that's the lever that you really need to grip and hold on to while the lever that opens the ratchet is just a quick one time pull.

lowlife likes this.
  13. TheHegemon1

TheHegemon1 Sparky belt

For real.

I grew up without a father figure so when I first got into construction years ago I was lost about alot of tools and parts and how things worked. Almost a decade in and I've run just about every kind of equipment and tool around now. I've met alot of guys who's Dad or granddad was in construction so they've been around it forever and I see guys that were like me and never been on a job site, it's interesting to see the difference in work ethic and knowledge coming up in this generation. Alot of guys quit pretty early once they get tired of lifting heavy stuff or being yelled at by an old guy that knows time is of the essence, so they try and make a run to office jobs or easier stuff. Handy guys are going to be rare and valuable in the future, there's less and less of them as the years pass.

GuanoApes, lowlife and Gutter Chris like this.
  14. Gutter Chris

Gutter Chris Chiropteran Enthusiast

Im one of them

I grew up without a dad and on a worksite it would be clear as day to you .

I have noticed for years that my friends who grew up with dads around are all more productive people with more skills for the most part

I agree with ya handy guys are going to be more valuable in the future . Im on team call a guy and I hate it but id rather shit get done right regardless of pride

sweetviolenturg and TheHegemon1 like this.
  15. Cole train

Cole train Red Belt

lets just say if you got a chance to get off construction site then you should.

this coming from a construction guy who bounces the first chance i get (4 weeks left yeahhh boyyy)

16. boingyman

boingyman If can, can. If no can, no can.

What does this have ot do with being handy? He got ratchet straps. Probably didn't know how to use it on the fly so he just tied a knot. No big deal.

I think as I get older though and have less people to depend on, I become more and more handy. My dad could do it all since he builds custom houses with his team for a living and has been a carpenter for over 40 years. It was much easier to just ask him for help, but living 5 hour flight away I just end up just tackling things on my own. All it really takes is some effort to learn and practice although I think there is a point where it's better to just hire a liscenced professional such as complicated plumbing or electrical work, frabicating/installing countertops or dealing with anyting that has to meet code unless you have a pro that can help you along the way.

Silent Liker likes this.
  17. TheHegemon1

TheHegemon1 Sparky belt

Im an electrician so it's not terrible, if I get tired of job sites I can go to service work which is not terrible most of the time.
    That said I'm with you there bud, I'm thinking about getting out of it just because it's really hard on the body as you get older. What are you going to jump to?

Cole train likes this.
  18. laz0001

laz0001 15 year Sherdog vet.

Yes. A decent man must be keen on self-improvement, and should learn a bit about all trades/skills. Proud to say that as well as I.T. being my main job, I'm pretty handy, and can do decent electrical work, plumbing, woodwork, tiling, flooring, painting etc, and repair most things.

19. Cole train

Cole train Red Belt

lol im an electrician as well.

i started as a construction guy then went to trade school to become sparky and now i run wire on construction site, shit sucks(money is good if you are experienced guy)

i try to get to maintenance jobs or go to school to become some office drone because this construction thing is coming out of my ears

TheHegemon1 likes this.
  20. MFIC

MFIC Banned Banned

Shove the long black thing into the slit