Are you handy?

What's the trick to getting the toilet to release a good amount of water to flush upon just a quick press of the flusher handle?

I'm pretty sure it did that before, but now with new flapper, one quick press will result in very short duration flush and I don't dare take a large dump under that condition.

Now, only if I press and hold it down does it use a comfortable amount of water to flush. It's like the flapper shuts too soon. I even had bought the flapper that comes with a floater on the chain.

You gotta adjust the flapper on the chain to where it's tight. When you push the handle, the flapper goes all the way up.

Basically when you start pushing the handle, the flapper is already beginning to move up.

You gotta adjust the flapper on the chain to where it's tight. When you push the handle, the flapper goes all the way up.

Basically when you start pushing the handle, the flapper is already beginning to move up.
The flapper is designed like a hinge though. If I attach the chain to the far end of the stick, I don't think that'll give the max flapper open since that would be pulling away from where the hinge wants to open. I think the packaging had some illustration about trimming the hinge "U", so now I'm wonder if that's preventing fully flap open.

There's a clip at the end of that chain. You can take off the clip and put it somewhere in the middle of the chain, not the end, to make the chain tight.

Yes. I can do a ton of stuff around the home myself. I can't imagine being a man and not being able to do simple shit like replace a garbage disposal, fix a toilet, put in oven elements, replace break pads on a car, etc. You save so much money on that stuff. Plus it's kind of fun and rewarding.

My son shows zero interest in it and even when i force him to watch he gets bored right away and doesn't help at all. Hardly knows how to hammer a nail and gave up right away :( My daughter loves to help with everything and tries until she gets it. That reminds me. I gotta set up out 2 @ 2x4 and they don't came back inside until they hammer in at least 25 nails each.....and then pound them back out and pull them out with the rip claw.

There's a clip at the end of that chain. You can take off the clip and put it somewhere in the middle of the chain, not the end, to make the chain tight.
I know that.

Apparently the one where you can trim the "U" isn't what I ended up buying. The packaging on mine seemed to suggest lowering the floater on the chain to get more water flushed and seemed to be better, but I need to lower it further next flush.

I did my kitchen without permits and got caught 6 months after finishing. Inspector let it slide but told me I had to change the bracket on the beam that held thousands of lbs of ceiling and roof up. I was going back and forth trying to figure out how to do it and figured out how to lift the ceiling 1/8" with a 2x4. I pried off the old brackets and slid the new one under the 24' beam. It took longer to patch the drywall than to lift the whole ceiling.

VqHYZgF.jpg
liQqe8b.jpg

I know that.

Apparently the one where you can trim the "U" isn't what I ended up buying. The packaging on mine seemed to suggest lowering the floater on the chain to get more water flushed and seemed to be better, but I need to lower it further next flush.

Is the flapper not opening up all the way or is there not much/enough water in the tank?

Yes. I can do a ton of stuff around the home myself. I can't imagine being a man and not being able to do simple shit like replace a garbage disposal, fix a toilet, put in oven elements, replace break pads on a car, etc. You save so much money on that stuff. Plus it's kind of fun and rewarding.

My son shows zero interest in it and even when i force him to watch he gets bored right away and doesn't help at all. Hardly knows how to hammer a nail and gave up right away :( My daughter loves to help with everything and tries until she gets it. That reminds me. I gotta set up out 2 @ 2x4 and they don't came back inside until they hammer in at least 25 nails each.....and then pound them back out and pull them out with the rip claw.
Teach him some repairmen don't know what they're doing and will charge a lot of money.

Is the flapper not opening up all the way or is there not much/enough water in the tank?
Not sure if not opening all the way, but it shuts promptly. I think the position of the floater on the chain affects the water used. Up high was like low flow flush. Now it's low, but still not enough flow. I need to lower it even more and see.

Not sure if not opening all the way, but it shuts promptly. I think the position of the floater on the chain affects the water used. Up high was like low flow flush. Now it's low, but still not enough flow. I need to lower it even more and see.

Does it look like this configuration, with the floating ball attached to the metal rod? I'm not sure if you are taking about the chain attached to the flapper or if you have a chain attached to the floater.

FH05JAU_TOIFIX_02.jpg

Does it look like this configuration, with the floating ball attached to the metal rod? I'm not sure if you are taking about the chain attached to the flapper or if you have a chain attached to the floater.

FH05JAU_TOIFIX_02.jpg
There's no floater ball, but the flapper chain came with a foam marshmallow. The post to connect the flapper is closer to the flush handle than in that pic.

There's no floater ball, but the flapper chain came with a foam marshmallow. The post to connect the flapper is closer to the flush handle than in that pic.

Hmmm, I don't know if I've worked on that type. Is it like this? OR could you find a schematic online? Or you don't have to keep answering if you want to do it on your own. I just like to figure this kind of stuff out. :)

fluidmaster-400a-whole-tank-fill-valve-how-to.png

Hmmm, I don't know if I've worked on that type. Is it like this? OR could you find a schematic online? Or you don't have to keep answering if you want to do it on your own. I just like to figure this kind of stuff out. :)

fluidmaster-400a-whole-tank-fill-valve-how-to.png
Document

Closer to this positioning of the flapper post. The plastic flapper chain arm far end would pull the flapper away from the hinge normal motion.

Document

Closer to this positioning of the flapper post. The plastic flapper chain arm far end would pull the flapper away from the hinge normal motion.

Ahhh, you have the flapper with the adjustable float. I actually learned something new today as I have never seen one of these before.

If the flapper is closing to quickly (not enough water in the tank) move the floater down the the chain closer to the flapper. If there is too much water which means the toilet would keep running or you feel it's wasting water then, move it higher.

What's the trick to getting the toilet to release a good amount of water to flush upon just a quick press of the flusher handle?

I'm pretty sure it did that before, but now with new flapper, one quick press will result in very short duration flush and I don't dare take a large dump under that condition.

Now, only if I press and hold it down does it use a comfortable amount of water to flush. It's like the flapper shuts too soon. I even had bought the flapper that comes with a floater on the chain.

Some of the toilets are made that way. A quick flush gets a small amount of water to flush urine. You hold the handle down longer for a bigger flush. They are designed so the water flows faster so the flapper is closed by the force of the flowing water unless you hold the lever to keep it open longer. They also make toilets with a dual flush valve with one button for liquids and another for solids.

Last edited:

Where do you find break pads on a car?

Some of the toilets are made that way. A quick flush gets a small amount of water to flush urine. You hold the handle down longer for a bigger flush. They are designed so the water flows faster so the flapper is closed by the force of the flowing water unless you hold the lever to keep it open longer. They also make toilets with a dual flush valve with one button for liquids and another for solids.
Shit man, that's the most sophisticated thing I've ever learned on Sherdog. Thanks.

Ahhh, you have the flapper with the adjustable float. I actually learned something new today as I have never seen one of these before.

If the flapper is closing to quickly (not enough water in the tank) move the floater down the the chain closer to the flapper. If there is too much water which means the toilet would keep running or you feel it's wasting water then, move it higher.

Straight out of the packaging, the marshmallow floater was high up the chain, so I guess while tank was filling back up, chain had a lot of slack so no resistance to flap shutting. The old flapper removed didn't have a floater marshmallow and gave ample flush from one quick twitch flush. The old flapper was like flesh colored rubber that hardened and got a warped edge causing the leak. I would sometimes drop a toilet slow release tablet in the tank and noticed at the store, some flappers stated something like won't be damaged by chlorine.

Back