Are stereotypes about your country true?

Well a stereotype is something that doesn't form out of thin air too often so I'd say there is some truth to the majority of them. Here's my question though, if more than half of a population does or acts a certain way, is it safe to say that group as a whole is that "way."

*Black people can't swim
-to this day I only remember about 3 black people that I've seen swimming. Doesn't necessarily mean the ones I haven't seen can't, but I think a lot of black people will admit it. I'd wager to say this is true for more than 50% of black people.

*White people are racist
-I've met enough white people that are racist. However, I can't accuse a single white person of being racist if i've not witnessed it. I'd say at less than 1/4 of white people are racists from the people i've met. I struggle with the idea of accusing white people of being racist if I'm just guessing how they think or feel.

*Black people love fried chicken and watermelon
-I don't know many black people that don't like fried chicken, I also don't know many white people that don't like fried chicken so I'd say that part is mostly true. As for the watermelon, I feel the same way.

*Cops like coffee and donuts. Plain and simple-true for the majority of them.

*Southern people are dumb.
-As a general rule, it sounds bad when a dumb person has a southern accent. -However, the smart southern man has the same accent so it's hard for outsiders to distinguish. I'd say this is a myth. I'd wager southerns are just as smart as the rest of america in terms of common sense. Maybe lower on test scores....

*Yankees are stuck-up and rude
-I think this is a true for quite a few. But I've met plenty of nice yankees. When they are rude, they are very rude though. One bad habit of yankees is they love to talk over others (including each other). From my culture, that's very rude. However, from their perspective....some of the things we think are polite they may they are rude

*Americans think they are better than everybody. I don't think american's think they are personally better than others. But american's are richer and have more possessions than most other countries so I feel like that might lead them to believe they "are better off" but not personally "better"

It’s funny because I bartended in Manhattan all through college and for some years after. I worked in spots with lots of people from other countries and developed a pretty good idea of how they act and who they are. Mind you, my observations are based in a social setting with alcohol involved. But for all the shit Americans get overseas, I have seen some wild behavior. Some cultures are flat out cheap bastards. Some are generous. Some are polite. Some are full of life, others are reserved. My favorites are the Irish and the Brits, with Aussies and Canadians right there.

There are the typical American stereotypes like Americans are lazy, self-centered, loud, impulsive, fat, too friendly etc. but it's really hard to really say that they are true because the populace is so varied. Maybe the impulsive and self-centered stereotypes are more true, as consumerism and individualism are both at the heart of the American identity.

For Japan, the less weird stereotypes are very true: Japanese are meek to a fault, hard workers, punctual, and have a demeanor that in the West can often be taken as "social awkwardness". The more extreme stereotypes regarding okatus and other subcultures are still true but not as blatantly common as the memes portray them as.

99% of Florida stereotypes are true.

Well a stereotype is something that doesn't form out of thin air too often so I'd say there is some truth to the majority of them. Here's my question though, if more than half of a population does or acts a certain way, is it safe to say that group as a whole is that "way."

*Black people can't swim
-to this day I only remember about 3 black people that I've seen swimming. Doesn't necessarily mean the ones I haven't seen can't, but I think a lot of black people will admit it. I'd wager to say this is true for more than 50% of black people.

*White people are racist
-I've met enough white people that are racist. However, I can't accuse a single white person of being racist if i've not witnessed it. I'd say at less than 1/4 of white people are racists from the people i've met. I struggle with the idea of accusing white people of being racist if I'm just guessing how they think or feel.

*Black people love fried chicken and watermelon
-I don't know many black people that don't like fried chicken, I also don't know many white people that don't like fried chicken so I'd say that part is mostly true. As for the watermelon, I feel the same way.

*Cops like coffee and donuts. Plain and simple-true for the majority of them.

*Southern people are dumb.
-As a general rule, it sounds bad when a dumb person has a southern accent. -However, the smart southern man has the same accent so it's hard for outsiders to distinguish. I'd say this is a myth. I'd wager southerns are just as smart as the rest of america in terms of common sense. Maybe lower on test scores....

*Yankees are stuck-up and rude
-I think this is a true for quite a few. But I've met plenty of nice yankees. When they are rude, they are very rude though. One bad habit of yankees is they love to talk over others (including each other). From my culture, that's very rude. However, from their perspective....some of the things we think are polite they may they are rude

*Americans think they are better than everybody. I don't think american's think they are personally better than others. But american's are richer and have more possessions than most other countries so I feel like that might lead them to believe they "are better off" but not personally "better"

Those aren't countries bro. I gotta say the American accent in general does sound dumber than London accents. The same exact thing sounds better when a posh Brit says it as opposed to an American. I have an American accent when I speak English and I think sound like an idiot.

That probably has something to do with it socially. Also the uptight is in regards to attitudes towards premarital sex, recreational drug use, dating, young adult life.
Well I don’t think westerners come to Singapore for the beaches. Comparatively more of the people here in the country I currently live, like to travel to Singapore for the beaches and shopping.

Check on young adult life and drugs for sure.
I blame it on our education system, which I personally believe is deeply flawed, for the former accusation. Like most other Asia countries, we are very result oriented from age 7 to 23 during our schooling years. Because of this, we are well educated theory wise but practical wise not so. Because majority get good results because they cramp all the information weeks before our exams and "vomit" them out on the paper and forget them shortly after. That's not learning imo. Once we leave the comfort zone of "school", most seems to be totally clueless about work life and social life. Worst are the generations that grew up with smart phones.

I smh badly when I see couples having meals together and don't speak to each other the entire 30mins or so but is staring at their phones while directing food into their mouth.

Premarital sex and dating not so, at least within my social circle. We should be "reasonable" among all Asians, I don't know how accurate Hollywood movies depict sex life in USA, but if it's true. We are definitely "uptight" if that was the standard.

Completely void of common sense (and it is true). A lot of book smart, but life dumb people in Singapore.

I guess I'm neutral with this stereotyping, I can't fully deny or agree. But I swear the higher the education, the less common sense those people have.

Aren't Koreans like the tallest people in Asia?

As an Asian, I have to say this is true. Korean guys are definitely the taller ones compared to other countries.

-Mexicans are lazy: False
From my experience we don't have a middle ground like most other races. Mexicans are either really lazy or the hardest working MF'ers on the planet. Only in between are our first generation Mexican-Americans(me). It's up to us to break the cycle and find balance.

-Mexicans work too hard: False
See above

-Mexicans have to many people under one roof: True
Growing up with my dad meant living in 3 bedroom 2 bathroom home with 11 people.

Once I was in high-school my mom got custody of me and my situation improved somewhat. I was now in 3 bedroom 1 bathroom home with 6 people.

Never had my own room growing up.

-Mexicans have too many kids: Varies
From my experience that's usually the more southern and indigenous cultures. My dad's side of the family is from the southern state of Michoacan, and he has 7 brothers and sisters. My moms from the northern state of Baja California and she only has 3 siblings.

-Mexicans drink too much: True
Yes, every celebratory event is an excuse to crush a 30 of tecates and contemplate going into work the next day. Be it baby showers, graduations, wakes, gender reveals etc. These are all simply excuses for the brown man to introduce alcohol into his system.

Edit: Wow misread the thread title. Been doing that a lot lately, gotta check myself. I thought this was about race not country. I assume plenty of you are from the US, so it would be pretty redundant if I where to redo this. Im just going to leave this up, if you want to know anything about the land of liberty, AMA.

Last edited:
Those aren't countries bro. I gotta say the American accent in general does sound dumber than London accents. The same exact thing sounds better when a posh Brit says it as opposed to an American. I have an American accent when I speak English and I think sound like an idiot.
LOL... See Americans aren't racist they just like to think in terms of race at all times.

Like London then?

It could be just a perception but I think that the difference is that London, as much of the UK, still has a conservative, English elite which kept its ways and is very influencial, even if you don't really see it.

You don't have that in Canada and Canadian cities are run jointly by different groups, pretty much based on ethnic origins.

Canada is not even a real country.

You been eating her xannies and Val’s bud?
No. Shes probably slipping something in my food/drinks in an attempt to kill me though. Her roast tasted a little funny the other night.

What are some stereotypes about your country do you think people have? Are they true?

I guess people think in my country, Korea, eating dog is common.
This is not true and it's becoming increasingly rare.
Horrendous driving.
True. I'd say it's probably one of the worst in Asia.
People are manlets.
Depends where the manlet cut off is. I'm 5'5 and I'm definitely a manlet here. It seems people are getting taller and taller every generation. My 13 year old cousin is over 6' and 80kgs. There's a reason I'm going to South East Asia.
Young misguided women from other countries think living in Korea is like being in a Korean Drama
Dramas show an idealized vision of Korea where everybody lives in expensive and spacious skyscrapers and goes to the best universities. Growing up in Korea is much harder than they can probably imagine especially if you compare it to western standards. Most people barely get by and are in debt to show off an image they can't afford.

Not my country but I consider Murica to be my second home.
Europeans think Americans are overly friendly and fake.
Kind of true? Americans as a collective are definitely more friendly and I think it's wonderful.
Koreans think you can get shot any minute in America.
Depends where you go but I'd say no. It's definitely less safe than Korea but I've never been mugged or shot at in all the years I've been there and I been to some rough places too. The only time I've heard a gun shot in America was at a shooting range with my ex's dad who was a cop.
Korea is just a second rate Japan.

No. Shes probably slipping something in my food/drinks in an attempt to kill me though. Her roast tasted a little funny the other night.
Lmao, put a dieuretic in her drink round lunch for shits and giggles. But you would have to make she kept drinking fluids to have the funniest effects.

It’s funny because I bartended in Manhattan all through college and for some years after. I worked in spots with lots of people from other countries and developed a pretty good idea of how they act and who they are. Mind you, my observations are based in a social setting with alcohol involved. But for all the shit Americans get overseas, I have seen some wild behavior. Some cultures are flat out cheap bastards. Some are generous. Some are polite. Some are full of life, others are reserved. My favorites are the Irish and the Brits, with Aussies and Canadians right there.

Cmon dont leave us hanging like that,give us something on nationalities

Back