Social Automotive stereotypes ( peoples' perception of the owners of certain vehicles and brands)

I just watched a documentary on "Vanning". In the 70s they had van meets that would attract 10s of thousands. Now those same meets attract 40-50 and they are the same ones that went in the 70s. What a shit show. I have to admit though, with a current paint scheme, I would rock one of these with some cragars, a badass system, and bed in the back.

View attachment 1032790
Holy crap
Around 2005 I was on vacation in Canada and met a guy from Quebec who told me he was into the Van scene back in the day. He told me of the driffent places he went to in the north east US for events. I had no idea what he was talking about since I never heard of it. I only new of classic car shows or street racing scenes. Never heard of Van meets.

I posted this before but I’ll say again that 99/100 Kia’s I see are driven by morons that can’t drive.

In England the Range Rover is known as the "Chelsea Tractor".

Chelsea is a rich neighborhood in central London.
Friend/colleague swung by last week & I got to drive his brand new 2024 Range Rover Hybrid around Tagatay/Highlands mountain highway/open roads near my house south of the city .
images

I’d be too nervous driving that rig in metro Manila traffic.
IMG-0328.jpg

Has some pep at over 540 hp for a bigger vehicle, surprised how quiet & comfy/responsive handling.
Easy to drive.

Got some strong torque, & moves really well on open road, for a bigger suv.
Felt like driving Red October: commanding ride/presence, yet smooth & quiet.
IMG-0337.jpg

IMG-0336.jpg

IMG-0335.jpg

Outta my solar system, price wise, But thing was fun to drive on the open roads.

Last edited:
It's a proven fact that Jeep owners are arrogant a$$holes who think they're special. Even if Jeeps are always on the list of worse vehicles.

I've owned two, an '89 Wagoneer Limited (4.0L straight six) and an '93 Grand Cherokee Limited (also the straight-six). You had to fuck up pretty badly to toast those motors, probably one of the most durable motors made. I don't think I fall into your stereotype, but w/e. I rarely ever had issues with either, and managed to put up 475k on the Grand Cherokee with the original motor and tranny before someone fucking stole it. Still two of the best vehicles I've ever had for winter driving.

I would love to get my hands on some of the earlier models of Jeeps, like a Willys, Jeepster or Fleetvan.

1970s-custom-vans-15.jpg

=

Just the coolest people.

Not a fan of the paint job, but that thing is fucking mint. The 70's/early 80's vans were awesome.

I've owned two, an '89 Wagoneer Limited (4.0L straight six) and an '93 Grand Cherokee Limited (also the straight-six). You had to fuck up pretty badly to toast those motors, probably one of the most durable motors made. I don't think I fall into your stereotype, but w/e. I rarely ever had issues with either, and managed to put up 475k on the Grand Cherokee with the original motor and tranny before someone fucking stole it. Still two of the best vehicles I've ever had for winter driving.

I would love to get my hands on some of the earlier models of Jeeps, like a Willys, Jeepster or Fleetvan.

Not a fan of the paint job, but that thing is fucking mint. The 70's/early 80's

Back in high school I remember these dudes in their early 20s had a van like that. They went from one side of the street to the other. Stoners they would spend their nights drinking and smoking weed in the van.

Not a fan of the paint job, but that thing is fucking mint. The 70's/early 80's vans were awesome.
I was referring to that van. You would walk by and there was a permanent Marijuana smell.

I don't understand the lesbian and Subaru thing. I know 4 people who drive them and none of them are gay. Is it overblown?

Subarus are the Pruises of the mountains. They drive insanely slow and never pull into turn offs to let traffic by.

I only notice the monolithic shitty attitudes of pick up truck drivers.

Never signal.
Always think they have the right of way, no matter the situation.
Tailgate literally every single car they're behind, no matter what speed they're going.
Double park.
Will stop and block the road on a residential street to have a conversation with another truck driver.
Likes that shitty cover of "Fast Car"

Popular Automotive stereotypes

BMW
- drivers are douchy / entitled.
- Favored by Persian and other MiddleEastern ethnicities
- Driven by guys who like to use a lot of gel and mousse and slick their hair back. This has a strong overlap with MiddleEastern Ethnics.

G-Wagon
- Favored by MiddleEastern ethnics
- Pretentious folks
- People wanting to project they are ballers
- People who think driving a G-Wagon means they have made it
- Celebs, Rappers, Atheletes
- People concerned with trends and being fashionable

Full-Size pickup
- Conservative leaning
- People compensating
- Bro Dozer douche
- Guys wanting to project a country / rugged persona

Saab
- Teachers
- quirky intellectuals
- Liberals

Import cars modified with aftermarket parts
- young Asian Americans
- Young kids into F & F movies

VW Golf Cabriolet
- Preppy Chicks

VW Beetle
- Hippes
- Free spirits

Buick (SUV an large cars)
- Old Peopl

Donks
- Urban African American dudes and some Hispanics

Lowriders
- Mostly Hispanics and African Americans

Toyota Prius
- Liberals / Enviromentalists

Tesla
- Tech Bros
- Lots of Asian Americans
- College Degree folks in STEM field
- Those with Enviromental concerns

Range Rover
- Country Club set / rich people
- Celebs, Atheletes,

Whay say you Mayberry? Am I reasonably close to accurate or way off?

Lighthearted thread. Not meant to be derisive of anyone's preference.
Everyone could be described as compensating for something . . . why not include that for other vehicles?

I only notice the monolithic shitty attitudes of pick up truck drivers.

Never signal.
Always think they have the right of way, no matter the situation.
Tailgate literally every single car they're behind, no matter what speed they're going.
Double park.
Will stop and block the road on a residential street to have a conversation with another truck driver.
Likes that shitty cover of "Fast Car"
You've been driving long enough to know this is all in your head right? :)

There are so many other people on the road who are just as bad if not worse.

Maybe it applies to North America. A lot of American drivers get trucks but they really don't use it. There are also scenarios where a minivan might be better than a Truck. No guy really wants to drive a minivan.

Everyone could be described as compensating for something . . . why not include that for other vehicles?
I don't think it is true for pickup owners (I drive a pickup) ; I only mentioned it because that is a popular perception. I see / hear it most often ascribed to large pickup trucker owners so that is why I only mentioned it for pickups.

I don't think it is true for pickup owners (I drive a pickup) ; I only mentioned it because that is a popular perception. I see / hear it most often ascribed to large pickup trucker owners so that is why I only mentioned it for pickups.
I know why you posted it . . . I also drive a truck. I hear the same about gun owners. It's just all so tiresome.

Back