Are stereotypes about your country true?

P

Pugilistic

What are some stereotypes about your country do you think people have? Are they true?

I guess people think in my country, Korea, eating dog is common.
This is not true and it's becoming increasingly rare.
Horrendous driving.
True. I'd say it's probably one of the worst in Asia.
People are manlets.
Depends where the manlet cut off is. I'm 5'5 and I'm definitely a manlet here. It seems people are getting taller and taller every generation. My 13 year old cousin is over 6' and 80kgs. There's a reason I'm going to South East Asia.
Young misguided women from other countries think living in Korea is like being in a Korean Drama
Dramas show an idealized vision of Korea where everybody lives in expensive and spacious skyscrapers and goes to the best universities. Growing up in Korea is much harder than they can probably imagine especially if you compare it to western standards. Most people barely get by and are in debt to show off an image they can't afford.

Not my country but I consider Murica to be my second home.
Europeans think Americans are overly friendly and fake.
Kind of true? Americans as a collective are definitely more friendly and I think it's wonderful.
Koreans think you can get shot any minute in America.
Depends where you go but I'd say no. It's definitely less safe than Korea but I've never been mugged or shot at in all the years I've been there and I been to some rough places too. The only time I've heard a gun shot in America was at a shooting range with my ex's dad who was a cop.

Yes some of them are. Some are not. But yes.

I don't know what the stereotypes of Singapore is tbh.

You guys are extremely anal about cleanliness and drugs. My stereotype of singapore is that everything is expensive and it doesn't seem like a fun place to live in.

Drugs -
Yes. We have extremely strict laws. iirc, anything over 10g of hard substances is mandatory death sentences.

Expensive -
The housing are expensive
Cars are luxury not necessities
Food can be affordable depending on where you eat.
Alcohol and Cigs are easily x3 to x5 any other countries.

Not a fun place to live in -
It's a city. Barely any nature scenery, Night life is decent, not as crazy as some countries though.

I heard spitting and chewing gum in Singapore is a crime. True?

Edit: Google says it is

Spitting as in saliva or phlegm? It's illegal but not strictly uphold in law. Punishment is $500 fine.
Buying in chewing gum is illegal. Consuming it is as well but not strictly uphold.

I heard spitting and chewing gum in Singapore is a crime. True?

Edit: Google says it is
A good buddy of mine used to work in Singapore for a couple years and he hated it. He developed a racist attitude towards Chinese there too. Says they're the worst element of Singapore. He got the fuck out of there and went back to France as soon as his contract was done.

Drugs -
Yes. We have extremely strict laws. iirc, anything over 10g of hard substances is mandatory death sentences.

Expensive -
The housing are expensive
Cars are luxury not necessities
Food can be affordable depending on where you eat.
Alcohol and Cigs are easily x3 to x5 any other countries.

Not a fun place to live in -
It's a city. Barely any nature scenery, Night life is decent, not as crazy as some countries though.

Worth visiting? Singapore is one place I never really had an inkling to go to but I figure I should at least check it out since I'm in the area.

Yes, the water swirls the other way when you flush the toilet in Australia.

In Australia we like to say "I'm not racist but... and then continue to say absolutely racist things and explain why we not racist... But .".

What are some stereotypes about your country do you think people have? Are they true?

I guess people think in my country, Korea, eating dog is common.
This is not true and it's becoming increasingly rare.
Horrendous driving.
True. I'd say it's probably one of the worst in Asia.
People are manlets.
Depends where the manlet cut off is. I'm 5'5 and I'm definitely a manlet here. It seems people are getting taller and taller every generation. My 13 year old cousin is over 6' and 80kgs. There's a reason I'm going to South East Asia.
Young misguided women from other countries think living in Korea is like being in a Korean Drama
Dramas show an idealized vision of Korea where everybody lives in expensive and spacious skyscrapers and goes to the best universities. Growing up in Korea is much harder than they can probably imagine especially if you compare it to western standards. Most people barely get by and are in debt to show off an image they can't afford.

Not my country but I consider Murica to be my second home.
Europeans think Americans are overly friendly and fake.
Kind of true? Americans as a collective are definitely more friendly and I think it's wonderful.
Koreans think you can get shot any minute in America.
Depends where you go but I'd say no. It's definitely less safe than Korea but I've never been mugged or shot at in all the years I've been there and I been to some rough places too. The only time I've heard a gun shot in America was at a shooting range with my ex's dad who was a cop.
There are many elements of truth to the stereotypes of where I am from.

America can be pretty dangerous dude.

I've had mugging attempts against me on at least 5 occasions once at knife point. Had guns pulled on me twice in non mugging attempts. Had groups of people try to jump me on two occasions and I've seen someone shot to death in front of me once.

@5crew
Pug hit the nail on the head. Stereotype of Singapore is iris too strict (legally), uptight (socially), and expensive. Not exactly a fun party destination. I know lots of people like to go for the beaches? They say the water is relatively clean.
@dildos
What about the racism? I have heard that Aus is the most backwards western country on that front. Also there is a stereotype that Australians are less intelligent then other western countries.

A good buddy of mine used to work in Singapore for a couple years and he hated it. He developed a racist attitude towards Chinese there too. Says they're the worst element of Singapore. He got the fuck out of there and went back to France as soon as his contract was done.

Worth visiting? Singapore is one place I never really had an inkling to go to but I figure I should at least check it out since I'm in the area.

Probably worth a 1 or 2 day layover while traveling between neighboring countries. That's about it. Other that the foods, everything found here can be found in Asian countries and probably more fun/better.
It's an excellent place to retire, if you can afford, though.

@5crew
Pug hit the nail on the head. Stereotype of Singapore is iris too strict (legally), uptight (socially), and expensive. Not exactly a fun party destination. I know lots of people like to go for the beaches? They say the water is relatively clean.
@dildos
What about the racism? I have heard that Aus is the most backwards western country on that front. Also there is a stereotype that Australians are less intelligent then other western countries.

I guess the stereotypes are true.
Being uptight socially is not accurate imo, at least for generations that are born after mid 70s. It's possible for Caucasians to have that impression because of our parent generations simply due to language barriers imo. We, generally, are timid on making ashamed of ourselves so limit conversions that we know we can't hold. That might be the reason why foreigners think we are uptight.

But I'm surprised people come for our beaches. They are tiny and plenty of beaches way better in neighboring countries. The clean part is definitely true.

Singapore really is a safe place to live and retire. That's the major plus. We don't get mugged at some random street/corridor at 2am 3am. The ladies can feel safe traveling around alone at 2am 3am as well. Other than that, not so.

There are many elements of truth to the stereotypes of where I am from.

America can be pretty dangerous dude.

I've had mugging attempts against me on at least 5 occasions once at knife point. Had guns pulled on me twice in non mugging attempts. Had groups of people try to jump me on two occasions and I've seen someone shot to death in front of me once.

For sure it's not the safest country I've been to and I am careful when I'm in the States, especially at night and in the cities. But there are people who think it's almost an inevitability that you'll get shot if you visit America. They don't realize it is very dependent on which area you visit and how vigilant you are. I did some stupid shit not realizing how dangerous SF can be when I was there, but I got pretty lucky.

I am from Canada and all the steriotypes are actually true. And I mean painfully true. (maybe not in the middle of the big cities where it is mostly new immigrants and such, but absolutely every where else)

No, we don't fuck sheep.

Well, nobody I know has.

No that they told me about anyway...........

It's totally possible that there's a significant number of us fucking sheep right now as I'm typing this.

I guess the stereotypes are true.
Being uptight socially is not accurate imo, at least for generations that are born after mid 70s. It's possible for Caucasians to have that impression because of our parent generations simply due to language barriers imo. We, generally, are timid on making ashamed of ourselves so limit conversions that we know we can't hold. That might be the reason why foreigners think we are uptight.

But I'm surprised people come for our beaches. They are tiny and plenty of beaches way better in neighboring countries. The clean part is definitely true.

Singapore really is a safe place to live and retire. That's the major plus. We don't get mugged at some random street/corridor at 2am 3am. The ladies can feel safe traveling around alone at 2am 3am as well. Other than that, not so.
That probably has something to do with it socially. Also the uptight is in regards to attitudes towards premarital sex, recreational drug use, dating, young adult life.
Well I don’t think westerners come to Singapore for the beaches. Comparatively more of the people here in the country I currently live, like to travel to Singapore for the beaches and shopping.

No, we don't fuck sheep.

Well, nobody I know has.

No that they told me about anyway...........

It's totally possible that there's a significant number of us fucking sheep right now as I'm typing this.
dvamskpxjy.jpg

Luckily there's no stereotypes about the English...

Back