Are stereotypes about your country true?

People always say Canadians are nice. I wouldn't necessarily say that's true. We're polite. Big difference.
I've met a lot of Canadians who are neither nice nor polite. Just sayin'

so are you arguing against their interpretation or the concept of whiteness in general?

i'm arguing that we have to come to an agreement on the colors and characteristics that define white people. i'm not saying that my definition is the be-all. i'm only saying that, in general, white people are categorized more as having lighter skin, lighter features, and certain shapes to their eyes, nose, etc. looking at the two examples i gave in maradona and beckham, how could those two people be in the same group, if the whole point in defining something, is making it easier to differentiate it from something else?

Last edited:
What are some stereotypes about your country do you think people have? Are they true?

I guess people think in my country, Korea, eating dog is common.
This is not true and it's becoming increasingly rare.
Horrendous driving.
True. I'd say it's probably one of the worst in Asia.
People are manlets.
Depends where the manlet cut off is. I'm 5'5 and I'm definitely a manlet here. It seems people are getting taller and taller every generation. My 13 year old cousin is over 6' and 80kgs. There's a reason I'm going to South East Asia.
Young misguided women from other countries think living in Korea is like being in a Korean Drama
Dramas show an idealized vision of Korea where everybody lives in expensive and spacious skyscrapers and goes to the best universities. Growing up in Korea is much harder than they can probably imagine especially if you compare it to western standards. Most people barely get by and are in debt to show off an image they can't afford.

Not my country but I consider Murica to be my second home.
Europeans think Americans are overly friendly and fake.
Kind of true? Americans as a collective are definitely more friendly and I think it's wonderful.
Koreans think you can get shot any minute in America.
Depends where you go but I'd say no. It's definitely less safe than Korea but I've never been mugged or shot at in all the years I've been there and I been to some rough places too. The only time I've heard a gun shot in America was at a shooting range with my ex's dad who was a cop.

Philippines - They love Karaoke and there are lady boys everywhere like in Thailand , True.

i'm arguing that we have to come to an agreement on the colors and characteristics that define white people. i'm not saying that my definition is the be-all. i'm only saying that, in general, white people are categorized more as having lighter skin, lighter features, and certain shapes to their eyes, nose, etc. looking at the two examples i gave in maradona and beckham, how could those two people be in the same group, if the whole point in defining something, is making it easier to differentiate it from something else?
In general most people would consider someone like Ronaldo white, even though he doesnt have light hair or eyes. Maybe they call castizos white in argentina, but we do the same thing in the united states and have our own culture of race. Race is a matter of practicality to a large degree. Every decision that is made in regard to race serves a purpose.

Yes we are nearly autistic socially

Yes we finns like to party.

We also like to stab each other at these parties

And we are liked pretty much in every country (except scandinavia but they can go fuck themselfs,especially sweden)

So you're saying the people that are actually near you don't like you.. makes sense.. and is probably something you take pride in in your own finnish way..

Nah, just kidding.. i like finland, it's a bit like having a brother that actually hates you and you never knew why but it makes sense to him..

I don't even know what stereotypes there are of sweden now.. whatever they are it's probably true.. perception varies depending on where you go though.. it used to be vikings, polar bears, hot blondes etc.. now i hear our country is going to shit and we're close to being an official ally of isis..

I met a German recently.

I had heard how Germans are apparently very cold seeming and not great conversationalists. But once you become friends with them you're friends for life.

Well anyway he was cold, reclusive and never smiled once all evening. Even though he claimed to be having a great time. Also never spoke once unless you spoke to him first.

very good breakdown. i've noticed that with most germans i've met. quick story:

i was in munich visiting a friend. we were going to take the metro, and go about three stops away. i didn't realize that i didn't buy a pass. i felt bad about it, but figured it was only three stops. no big deal. well not for my friend lol. she literally grabbed my hand, and walked me out of the train, so i could buy a pass haha. it took more time to do all this, than it would have taken to simply ride out the initial ride.

anyway, i do appreciate that type of honesty. it is contagious, and goes a long way in general for society.
That’s the German way, even though you honestly forgot for a German it’s seen as lazy, rebellious and free loading (this is of course from the outside looking in at your situation) you can also be fined quite heavily now for not buying a pass, your friend did well

Philippines - They love Karaoke and there are lady boys everywhere like in Thailand , True.
I used to think ladyboys were just a Thai thing until I went to the Philippines. What an eye opener. They were also not uncommon in Laos as well.
I've met people who think Vietnam also has a bunch of ladyboys because it's in SEA, but I think they have a totally different culture compared to other countries in that area.

I guess we should be glad we don't have posters from conservative muslim countries. I have some stereotypes about them and this thread could turn south real quick.
<6>

In Australia we like to say "I'm not racist but... and then continue to say absolutely racist things and explain why we not racist... But .".

Well i've heard people say that in other countries that i've lived in, it's not an Aussie thing.

Actually i get sick to death about this idea Australia is full of racists, it isn't. Like NZ and England, we are very welcoming to all new migrants.
Australia admits more migrants each year than any other Western country, and when Labor wins the next election they've said they'll increase the number.

I used to think ladyboys were just a Thai thing until I went to the Philippines. What an eye opener. They were also not uncommon in Laos as well.
I've met people who think Vietnam also has a bunch of ladyboys because it's in SEA, but I think they have a totally different culture compared to other countries in that area.

I guess we should be glad we don't have posters from conservative muslim countries. I have some stereotypes about them and this thread could turn south real quick.
<6>

I have friends from more Liberal Muslim countries Kuwait, Bahrain and Dubai, let's just say they aren't fans of the traditional conservative types .

I have never met a Kiwi or Safaa who lived in Sydney have a nice word to say about the native Aussies. It seems they are lazy and not too bright.

I have friends from more Liberal Muslim countries Kuwait, Bahrain and Dubai, let's just say they aren't fans of the traditional conservative types .
Same here. I've met Moroccans and Iranians who are cool but people from other places were not fun to be around with. At the very least they were weird as shit. They're like entire societies of incels.

Well i've heard people say that in other countries that i've lived in, it's not an Aussie thing.

Actually i get sick to death about this idea Australia is full of racists, it isn't. Like NZ and England, we are very welcoming to all new migrants.
Australia admits more migrants each year than any other Western country, and when Labor wins the next election they've said they'll increase the number.

Not saying we're all like that, but sometimes the larrikin goes too far.

How do the indigenous people there feel about it?

People being dumb, fat, lazy, with bad attitudes.

Back