250lb dips

I don't know where he gets 250lbs from , it looks to me like he has 4 or maybe 5 , 45 pound plates or maybe they're 44 pound plates because you're in the UK that would be either 180lbs or 225lbs either way thats a PARTIAL rep and is NO WHERE near " just over paralell " and in my opinion very dangerous to dip weight that you can't fully control , and I hate to tell you partials will NOT give you functional strenght , partials are usally used for power programs and like was stated to get out of a plateau , and you should do some more research about proper weight lifting in NO WAY shape or form will going below paralell on a barbell squat adversely effects your lower back or knees , people who don't go paralell all use excuses , because going rock-bottom is so damn hard , behind the neck presses can be dangerous , the danger lies with using to much weight and NOT fully warming up the muscles before use , its an exercise with tremendous benefits but has to be done responsibly and you have to be dedicated to it and not lift beyond proper techinque and form which are more important than how much weight you use , Arnold Schwarzenegger used to say " 2 reps with perfect form are better than 12 with mediocre form " so you can apply that to your dips , you would gain a hell of a lot more strenght by doing dips with just your bodyweight going below paralell than what you're doing now , and if you want tips are real world functional strenght read John Littles book , Bruce Lee The Art of Expressing the human body " Bruce knew what functional strenght was and he could do 2 finger push-ups and I know 300lb bodybuilders who couldn't do that , thats functional strenght.

Jun Fan Lee said:
I don't know where he gets 250lbs from , it looks to me like he has 4 or maybe 5 , 45 pound plates or maybe they're 44 pound plates because you're in the UK that would be either 180lbs or 225lbs either way thats a PARTIAL rep and is NO WHERE near " just over paralell " and in my opinion very dangerous to dip weight that you can't fully control , and I hate to tell you partials will NOT give you functional strenght , partials are usally used for power programs and like was stated to get out of a plateau , and you should do some more research about proper weight lifting in NO WAY shape or form will going below paralell on a barbell squat adversely effects your lower back or knees , people who don't go paralell all use excuses , because going rock-bottom is so damn hard , behind the neck presses can be dangerous , the danger lies with using to much weight and NOT fully warming up the muscles before use , its an exercise with tremendous benefits but has to be done responsibly and you have to be dedicated to it and not lift beyond proper techinque and form which are more important than how much weight you use , Arnold Schwarzenegger used to say " 2 reps with perfect form are better than 12 with mediocre form " so you can apply that to your dips , you would gain a hell of a lot more strenght by doing dips with just your bodyweight going below paralell than what you're doing now , and if you want tips are real world functional strenght read John Littles book , Bruce Lee The Art of Expressing the human body " Bruce knew what functional strenght was and he could do 2 finger push-ups and I know 300lb bodybuilders who couldn't do that , thats functional strenght.

functional strength is having strength in the area of your field. why would a professional strongman want to do finger pushups? or a football player? their time would be better spent pulling some cars around or doing sled sprints. bruce was a martial artist and therefore required strong hands and fingers.

Jun Fan Lee said:

Behind the neck presses are bad even if you do them "properly" as you say. Its simple kinesiology, rotating the arm backwards beyond vertical torques the shoulder, then you slap on 175 lbs and you shoulder joints rub themselves raw from the up and down friction. Its unnecessary wear and tear, as military presses are all you need, and theyre done front of neck.

he got banned b/c he posted a long string of pm's in a thread that is now deleted...

it happened in the war room...

Mihail said:
I dont get it.

racial slurs are not usually accepted here, but as polynikes said, it was for something different. guy had it coming anyway.

Jun Fan Lee said:
john little is the biggest advocate of partials there is. and just so you know, ive got 5 45lb discs round my waist, and 2 11lb discs, plus the amount of chain to hold this weight equals 250lbs.

JohnnyQuo said:
john little is the biggest advocate of partials there is. and just so you know, ive got 5 45lb discs round my waist, and 2 11lb discs, plus the amount of chain to hold this weight equals 250lbs.

HAHAHAHAHA I have John Little's book. He is so full of shit its ridiculous. I think I"m going to put it next to the pot and read it again, it always gives me a good laugh. If you guys want to read a book that is a joke, go to the local book store and read it. Its called Power Factor Training or something like that.

His whole routine is doing 1/8 or even less of the movement for all things. Even one arm pulldowns and one arm preacher curls. He claims that contraction is contraction regardless of if the muscle moves.

That sounds like a sure-fire way to walk around funny, unable to wipe your own ass.

That sort of training will kill your flexibility dead.

How much does a belt and chain for weighted dips and pull-ups weigh anyways, I didn't even favor them in when doing my 1/16ths pull-ups.

John Littles book is a compelation of Bruce Lee's weight training methods and NOT his ideals he mearly complied the book , and there is nothing wrong with behind the neck presses when done properly , I'm speaking from personal experience , I've been doing them and have had zero problems , because I stick to proper form , warm-up throughly and never use more weight than I can handle , I've known a lot of people who've used them for years with no problems , thats another bodybuilding-myth just like squats below paralell will cuase knee problems.

No, actually if you are indeed doing them with any real weight and not getting hurt, it's due to abnormal levels of flexibility. Even with proper form they aren't so hot.

Jun Fan Lee said:
John Littles book is a compelation of Bruce Lee's weight training methods and NOT his ideals he mearly complied the book , and there is nothing wrong with behind the neck presses when done properly , I'm speaking from personal experience , I've been doing them and have had zero problems , because I stick to proper form , warm-up throughly and never use more weight than I can handle , I've known a lot of people who've used them for years with no problems , thats another bodybuilding-myth just like squats below paralell will cuase knee problems.

Bruce Lee was a fan of partials and isometrics, but he didn't provide all the ideas for Johns book. Bruce understood that they have a place in weight lifting, but they weren't the whole routine. John had informatino that he said he got when he talked to famous bodybuilders such as Franco. I am almost positive he took ideas from many people (not even close to all Bruce Lee) and wrote a whole program around only doing heavy partials and working up to an incredible load. The goal of the book was to do a million pound workout and I know Bruce Lee didn't advocate only doing partials and working up to such incredible numbers.

you guys are talking about two different books...the art of expressing the human body and power factor training, two different books, even still...the bruce lee book (the art of expressing the human body) has a ton of info that jonh little puked up all over the pages as well

That "power factor" training is great for athletes on heavy steroids and GH, and even that not as the primary training method. Strictly for freaky bodybuilders.

Just so were clear on behind the neck presses, before even considering the flexibility required (which everyone SHOULD have but DOESN'T and should NOT do BTN presses without) they are VERY unsafe for some people due to poor genetics. It's not uncommon at all for the ball of your shoulder joint to be egg shaped to such an extent that doing BTN presses is a guaranteed recipe for injury. Just because you can do them without incident does not mean everyone observing proper form will be able to do the same. There are safer, equally beneficial exercises that can be done.

one more point about behind the neck presses, i havent done them since my injury 10 years ago. i substituted them for smith machine presses to the top of my head, keeping my arms in line with my shoulder joint, NOT behind or in front like PBN and military presses. it just feels more natural to me

ok... so partials to use more weight AND smith machine exercises? ugh...

JohnnyQuo said:
doesnt that tell you something?

Everything you've ever posted tells me that I'm a stronger man and a better powerlifter than you, by a huge margin. Go back to your bodybuilding forum where your 17 year old friends with "14.75 inch guns" will pat you on the back for your pathetic attempts at making a spectacle of the strength you don't even have.

Back