250lb dips

JohnnyQuo said:
partials give you much better functional strength.... full range reps... are more dangerous cos of the stretch involved

Okay... I will politely disagree here.

And if Dan181 said you can't do 3 dips to just above parallel with 250lbs, he was right. That was nowhere near just above parallel, no matter how you look at it.

JohnnyQuo said:
ive been training since i was 12, and partials give you much better functional strength, perfect for mma. i still do full range reps, but they are more dangerous cos of the stretch involved.
Could you explain this? How are they more dangerous because of the stretch involved?

Could you explain this? How are they more dangerous because of the stretch involved?

Isn't it obvious?

Do you want to do full squats with 3 times more weight than you can safely handle? No cause you'd die.

Therefore, you need to shorten the range of motion up until you can handle the weight.

Cause thats smart...

that was so far away from parrallel it was funny.

TheNerdKing said:
Isn't it obvious?

Do you want to do full squats with 3 times more weight than you can safely handle? No cause you'd die.
He was talking about partials in general, not just squats. Squats are a bit specific because the lower you go, the more the glutes and hams are activated, while quarter squats are mostly quads.

But with military press (his example), it's basically the same muscles working, the only major difference is how stretched they are. And I got the impression that he claimed that there is some danger related to the stretch.

Therefore, you need to shorten the range of motion up until you can handle the weight.

Cause thats smart...
Not to be an ass, but wouldn't it be better to use a weight you can handle at the full ROM and build up your strength from there? If you build the strength in a very limited ROM like that, then you do risk injuries outside this ROM.

Evil Eye Gouger said:
Not to be an ass, but wouldn't it be better to use a weight you can handle at the full ROM and build up your strength from there? If you build the strength in a very limited ROM like that, then you do risk injuries outside this ROM.

i think it was sarcasm

batman69 said:
that was so far away from parrallel it was funny.
people keep sayin about parralel, but if you read my post, i never said parralel

Evil Eye Gouger said:
ive never heard of anyone tearing a muscle in the fully contracted position, only the stretched position. only time ive injured myself with weights is in the stretched position

JohnnyQuo said:
ive been training since i was 12, and partials give you much better functional strength, perfect for mma. i still do full range reps, but they are more dangerous cos of the stretch involved. when i squat, i never ever go below parralell, its askin for knackered knees and lower back, sayin that, i've done 50 reps to just above parralell with 4 plates a side, and ive done 6 inch partials with 10 plates a side for 5 reps.
full range reps of ANY exercise is never more dangerous than partial reps of NAY exercise. It is simply wrong of you to say so.
Functional strength is specific, plz refer to the hugeantic thread on this, called something like 'functional strength' or the like.
Stretching a muscle isnt dangerous, stretching a m,uscle under load isnt dangerous. Not knowing what you're doing or being unprepared CAN be dangerous, such as doing full range reps when you normally only do partials.....

There ahve been several studies UNABLE to prove any relationship between FULL squats and knee problems, but there have been studies to show the reverse.

just above parallel are u kidding they look like jane fonda reps to me----cmon ---not even close to a rep---1/4 rep at best---a lot of weight but not sure if u are totally working any muscle--seems like u may be putting way too much stress on ur joints especially since watching u do those reps---u shouldnt do a weight like that unless u can do a rep imo

JohnnyQuo said:
dont really do them to be honest, and my thighs are 28inches round the top

bah! I'm 16 and i am 5'8" and i only weigh 152 pounds, and i have a 30 inch waist, but here's the good part, i have 25 inch thighes, yes...that's right...my thighes are nasty large and my upper body is frickin skinny

JohnnyQuo said:
ive never heard of anyone tearing a muscle in the fully contracted position, only the stretched position. only time ive injured myself with weights is in the stretched position
The reason muscles tear when stretched is that they lack the strength to handle the weight in the stretched position.

Wouldn't it be better to build strength in the full ROM instead? This way you increase strength AND prevent injuries.

What you are doing now is exactly the opposite, and it will make you more susceptible to injuries by radically reducing your flexibility.

pwned.

Accept my apologies guys, too much time in the War Room today, I ran straight into this one.

Hey np.

I just about fell out of my chair when you started taking it seriously.

Jarfi said:
full range reps of ANY exercise is never more dangerous than partial reps of NAY exercise. It is simply wrong of you to say so.
Functional strength is specific, plz refer to the hugeantic thread on this, called something like 'functional strength' or the like.
Stretching a muscle isnt dangerous, stretching a m,uscle under load isnt dangerous. Not knowing what you're doing or being unprepared CAN be dangerous, such as doing full range reps when you normally only do partials.....

There ahve been several studies UNABLE to prove any relationship between FULL squats and knee problems, but there have been studies to show the reverse.

Agreed.

Seems like ego lifting to me. If you cant lift it with good form through the full range of motion or at least something within 10 miles of a just above para, then it dont mean a thing.

It reminds me of a time when this guy at the gym loaded 14 plates on the sled, lowered 5 inches then barely brought it back up. WTF??????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back