250lb dips

Evil Eye Gouger said:
The reason muscles tear when stretched is that they lack the strength to handle the weight in the stretched position.

Wouldn't it be better to build strength in the full ROM instead? This way you increase strength AND prevent injuries.

What you are doing now is exactly the opposite, and it will make you more susceptible to injuries by radically reducing your flexibility.

Agreed as well.

Despite the fact that partial rom lifts CAN be usefull in getting past sticking points or bringing up a weak lift, what the author of the thread is suggesting provides no real world benefits.

TheNerdKing said:
Hey np.

I just about fell out of my chair when you started taking it seriously.
I was extra confused because I'm used to reading really good advice from you, and this post was so fucking out there.

Double pwned.

JohnnyQuo said:
i never said parralell, i said just above

I'm usually not one to flame another person's lifting, but man, c'mon... that's nowhere near parallel. I hate to make a broad generalization, but you're ego has probably taken control of your lifting. I have more respect for a lifter who squats 400 below parallel than one who can quarter squat a grand. Good form is the foundation for strength.

About your squats: I'd bet my life against $5 that you have never been remotely close to parallel with "4 plates per side" for 1 rep, let alone 50... which is the most absurd assumption I've ever heard. This is the most ridiculous post I've ever seen, and it pisses me off because I actually train right.

So, brag about your thigh size and your shitty partial lifts all you want. I have little girl legs but at least I squat below parallel. Embarassment.

holy not-to-parallel batman.

i think the problem with partials is that you dont train your muscles through their natural range of motion, which leaves you with like a breakpoint of weakness. if you dip heavy and inch below your normal partial range, will you have any strength there? or will you hurt yourself? you should train in the largest range of motion that you are physically capable of.

i think some people are confused here, i train mainly full range, but i use partials aswell. the only exercises i dont ever use full range on is squats cos of knee and lower back problems, and press behind neck, cos i tore my rotator cuff once doing them

JohnnyQuo said:
ive been training since i was 12, and partials give you much better functional strength, perfect for mma. i still do full range reps, but they are more dangerous cos of the stretch involved. when i squat, i never ever go below parralell, its askin for knackered knees and lower back, sayin that, i've done 50 reps to just above parralell with 4 plates a side, and ive done 6 inch partials with 10 plates a side for 5 reps.

god i hate reading shit like this...

Polynikes said:
god i hate reading shit like this...
Omg......

I thought i would never agree with you in my life, but I do.

:icon_evil

JohnnyQuo said:
i think some people are confused here, i train mainly full range, but i use partials aswell. the only exercises i dont ever use full range on is squats cos of knee and lower back problems, and press behind neck, cos i tore my rotator cuff once doing them

Box squatting places no stress on the knee and behind the neck press is just plain dumb. I'm quite certain you do "partials" because they make you feel like some big-shot meatball gym world champ.

Worst dips I've ever seen in my life, and I've seen some terrible ones.

if you post a vid, doing a full rom seated military press with 300 lbs i will be very impressed.

graedy said:
if you post a vid, doing a full rom seated military press with 300 lbs i will be very impressed.

Did you even see the dip vid? Tell me this guy's done a full ROM lift ever in his life and I'll shoot myself in the face.

actually...if you watch how far his arm is from a 90 degree angle (which is parallel)...it's not that far from the 90 degree angle

hahaha....

i just watched the vid...

"oh my god, one more"

hahaha...

you can't do military presses with 300 lbs, at least, not real ones...

behind the neck pressing is very bad for you. like you said, it tears your shoulders up dude. why keep doing them? you already know they're bad for you. if i were you, i would cut back on the weight until i could properly handle the weight with good form. slow steady process keeps you injury free dude...

plus, i could be wrong but it seems like people who make slow steady progress seem to keep making progress...

JohnnyQuo said:
i never said parralell, i said just above
If that is just above, then my eight inch dick is 13 inches :D

why exactly did you decide to post that. it would be better to see you do real dips with less weight

JohnnyQuo said:
people keep sayin about parralel, but if you read my post, i never said parralel

Yeah but you were closer to the starting position than you were to parallel. Honestly, you were barely a third of the way to parallel. So describing it as just above parallel is innacurate.

Coach D said:
If that is just above, then my eight inch dick is 13 inches :D

congratualations! the missus must be quite happy!

and the 400x50 squat seems a bit....far fetched, to say the least. i say this because ive seen jesse marunde, a full time professional strongman competitor, squat 405x20 and it looked like it nearly killed him.

That's because it is far fetched. All you have to do is watch his dips and now that he does 1/4 squats.

405 x 50?

where did he say that?

bwaha...

what?

no, not just no, but not even no...

i don't care if he did 1/8 squats, he can't do that 50 times with 405 on the bar...

look dude, you need to cut back on the weight and improve your form. i'm serious dude...

Polynikes said:
405 x 50?

where did he say that?

bwaha...

what?

no, not just no, but not even no...

i don't care if he did 1/8 squats, he can't do that 50 times with 405 on the bar...

look dude, you need to cut back on the weight and improve your form. i'm serious dude...

you say dude a lot, just an observation.

Back