Why do people get tattoos?

They look cool or you look cool with them? You don't have to get ink'd if you just like pictures. If you like art then get a fucking painting.

i think they look cool

i couldnt care less what people think of the way i look, they should have better things to worry about

This. People express their individuality by doing one of the most cliche things possible.

"At a time when individuality is supposed to be shown most tellingly by putting boots on one's hands and gloves on one's feet, it is somewhat refreshing to come across a true individualist who feels the chasm between himself and others so deeply, that he must perforce adapt himself to them outwardly, at least, in all respects, so that the inner difference should be overlooked."

Those aren't "people." Those are "pigeons." Pigeons get tattoos.

it's what the sheeple do these days

Lol we are all sheep to some degree, we all conform to some degree..look around you, look at your life, how different do you really think you are from everybody else? Do you live such a unique life?

Three reasons:

1) for attention
2) due to self loathing (they want to change their image because they hate who they are)
3) for faith based reasons

the last of which is the only reason that deserves respect.

i think they look cool

i couldnt care less what people think of the way i look, they should have better things to worry about

This doesn't make any sense, if you don't care what people think of how you look than how in the hell do you have any concept of what "looks cool?"

The clothes you wear and the tattoo's you have are 100% about the image you're trying to project to others, unless you're obsessed with looking at yourself in a mirror.

Three reasons:

1) for attention
2) due to self loathing (they want to change their image because they hate who they are)

Lol so much judgement..

i have a tattoo of a butt, with a butt tattooed on it, tattooed on my butt.

Lol we are all sheep to some degree, we all conform to some degree..look around you, look at your life, how different do you really think you are from everybody else? Do you live such a unique life?

Of course conforming to societal norms is a necessity to some degree, in order to be a functioning member of society. The point is the pretentiousness involved in someone getting themselves permanently marked with some philosophical saying that they think is so meaningful and insightful, that literally thousands of others have the same exact markings. I'm not saying getting ink is right/wrong; I don't really care what someone does with their own body, nor is it my business. But can you(not you literally, just figuratively) save me the pretense that you think you're somehow deep or anticonformity because you had a guy draw a picture on your body that you got because you thought it looked cool, attractive, etc? In this day and age, getting ink is one of the more conformist things you can do, if you're n your teens or twenties. For most, it's essentially jewelry.

I don't have tattoos and probably never will but I'm shocked by a lot of these responses. I always enjoy looking at others tattoos even if I don't find them aesthetically pleasing

There could be a ton of reasons from just liking the way they look to having some sort of significant meaning. Doesn't mean something is wrong with that person or they are for attention.

This doesn't make any sense, if you don't care what people think of how you look than how in the hell do you have any concept of what "looks cool?"

The clothes you wear and the tattoo's you have are 100% about the image you're trying to project to others, unless you're obsessed with looking at yourself in a mirror.

i generally keep mine covered up

and it makes perfect sense, "I think they look cool"

i'm not trying to project any image, i buy clothes i like the look of, because i(see the 'I' again there) think they look cool

fuck what ever anyone else thinks i look like

Three reasons:

1) for attention

Funny is how judgmental this post is and at the same time respects faith.

Back