Why do people get tattoos?

i generally keep mine covered up

and it makes perfect sense, "I think they look cool"

i'm not trying to project any image, i buy clothes i like the look of, because i(see the 'I' again there) think they look cool

fuck what ever anyone else thinks i look like

You are projecting whether it be conscious or unconscious. Everyone projects what their surroundings promotes. You are just in self-defense mode because there is no solid rationale to mutilating your body.

Of course conforming to societal norms is a necessity to some degree, in order to be a functioning member of society. The point is the pretentiousness involved in someone getting themselves permanently marked with some philosophical saying that they think is so meaningful and insightful, that literally thousands of others have the same exact markings. I'm not saying getting ink is right/wrong; I don't really care what someone does with their own body, nor is it my business. But can you(not you literally, just figuratively) save me the pretense that you think you're somehow deep or anticonformity because you had a guy draw a picture on your body that you got because you thought it looked cool, attractive, etc? In this day and age, getting ink is one of the more conformist things you can do, if you're n your teens or twenties. For most, it's essentially jewelry.

Then it seems you are talking about a very specific type of person, or is that how you generalize everybody that gets ink? There are plenty of pretentious people around, doing all sorts of things pretentiously..what about someone who gets ink where no one else can see? Do you have them categorized the same?

Didn't realize there was so much hate towards tattoos.

You are projecting whether it be conscious or unconscious. Everyone projects what their surroundings promotes. You are just in self-defense mode because there is no solid rationale to mutilating your body.

Do you have your hair cut or do you just let it grow wild?

i'm not trying to give it rationale..you are

I don't really think its hate for the tattoos, just judgement from those who feel the need to judge..maybe we should evaluate why these people have such a strong opinion about something so insignificant..

People feel threatened by people that look/are different from them so they need all kinds of reasons to nullify that threat in their mind. And no I don't have any tattoos.

Then it seems you are talking about a very specific type of person, or is that how you generalize everybody that gets ink? There are plenty of pretentious people around, doing all sorts of things pretentiously..what about someone who gets ink where no one else can see? Do you have them categorized the same?

I'm probably coming off as judgemental. I'm not trying to classify all people who get ink as pretentious; nor trying to imply there's a lack of pretentiousness among those without ink. Just commenting on some commonalities. It's also a given that there could be any number of reasons why people get tats; personal meaning, aesthetic appeal, etc.

And for the record, I think ink can be attractive on a chick. Just, if you're basically getting it for it's visual appeal, please don't try and sell me that it's some sort of symbol of your individuality.

How fucking hard is it to understand that someone thinks something is beautiful so they want it without any alternative motive? People trying to make something other people do an inherent negative thing show more about their own mindset than the one they are judging.

I have no tattoos. But, asking this is like asking "why do people pierce themselves, or change their hair color, or paint their nails, wear certain types of clothing and not others?" etc. etc. Body decoration is a part of many, many cultures. People do it for all sorts of reasons. I'll bet that some people simply like how they look with them, in addition to the other potential reasons (attention, religion, crisis, etc.).

You don't have to hide your question in a question. Cutting hair isn't self-mutilation.

It is by your logic. But of course you draw your line where it suits you, not where it's consistent with your reasoning.

And I wasn't hiding a question in my question, lol. That doesn't even make sense. I need a prerequisite before making any conclusions/asking follow up questions, that's how sound reasoning works.

Well i cant say i was expecting this thread to be so angry.

Last edited:
I'm probably coming off as judgemental. I'm not trying to classify all people who get ink as pretentious; nor trying to imply there's a lack of pretentiousness among those without ink. Just commenting on some commonalities. It's also a given that there could be any number of reasons why people get tats; personal meaning, aesthetic appeal, etc.

And for the record, I think ink can be attractive on a chick. Just, if you're basically getting it for it's visual appeal, please don't try and sell me that it's some sort of symbol of your individuality.

Gotcha, and in that sense I agree..I'm glad intelligent discussion is still possible here, though that's not generally why I come lol

Now for the majority I think it's just quite simply fashion, generally nothing too deep and meaningful to it.

It's much more non-conformist to NOT have a tattoo these days.
Although anyone who got them or doesn't get them just to be non-conformist is a fucking cretin.

Now for the majority I think it's just quite simply fashion, generally nothing too deep and meaningful to it.

It's much more non-conformist to NOT have a tattoo these days.
Although anyone who got them or doesn't get them just to be non-conformist is a fucking cretin.

This. Most people get them because they like them. The days when having tattoos meant anything significant relative to non-tattooed people, pro or con, are long gone. They are basically a neutral medium nowadays, like clothing.

Of course you can still communicate through tattoos you choose, just as you communicate through many other things ... what music you listen to, what books you read, what clothes you wear, etc. But the mere fact that you choose different types of clothes, by itself, is basically meaningless. Everybody does that.

Three reasons:

1) for attention
2) due to self loathing (they want to change their image because they hate who they are)
3) for faith based reasons

the last of which is the only reason that deserves respect.

LMAO at faith based tattoos. It clearly states in the bible that tattoos/self mutilation are sins.

This. I don't have tattoos but that's what it seems like to me. I don't have problems with it either. I don't think it's that much more different than wearing accessories and nice clothes to appear a certain way. People will say tattoos will stay with you forever so I guess when you look old they will look weird, but chance are when you're that old you're already not going to look dashingly handsome or anything anymore so who really cares?

I do have ear piercings, and I got them because I like how they look and I think they look good on me.

Doesn't really need to be anymore complicated than that.

Back