Why did GSP struggle so much with Jake Shields?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ousted myself? Come on man…Shields and his “win streak” which included guys like Mike Pyle and Ido Portal was not anywhere on GSP’s level… yet…

George fought scared(to go to the ground) and that’s why we saw what we saw.

<{1-9}>
Shields win streak also included

Dan Henderson
Robbie Lawler
Jason Miller
Martin Kampmann
Carlos Condit
Yushin Okami

How can people downplay Shields?

Last edited:
Shields was a good fighter (his resume shows as much), but matched he up very poorly with GSP. It was a combination of GSP being generally poor and Shields landing some terrible eye-pokes that prevented it from being a slaughter. As it stands, the fight still wasn't close.

To be fair, I have not seen the Okami fight, yeah I heard it was controversial.

But even if you exclude Okami, Jake's streak is hella impressive.
ok, at least you acknowledge it, all propz.

A Shields win in that fight was the least realistic outcome. It iz what it iz.

Meanwhile, he won vs Kampmann [was a SD but could/should have been scored a UD] (a fight that got him the TS), but... he could really thank Kamp on this one, for a very bad display of fight IQ: Shields was literally a zombie in the 3rd Rd, & Kamp chose to grapple with him on the ground (& got reversed...) while he should have toyed with him on the feet...
Overall, a poor showin´...

Last edited:
ok, at least you acknowledge it, all propz.

A Shields win in that fight was the least realistic outcome. It iz what it iz.

Meanwhile, he won vs Kampmann [was a SD but could/should have been scored a UD] (a fight that got him the TS), but... he could really thank Kamp on this one, for a very bad display of fight IQ: Shields was literally a zombie in the 3rd Rd, & Kamp chose to grapple with him on the ground (& got reversed...) while he should have toyed with him on the feet...
Overall, a poor showin´...
Kampmann also conceded a shit ton of takedowns he could've otherwise fended off by going for those obvious guillotine attempts over and over again.

He should definitely have known better against a grappler of Shields' caliber.

I remember watching Shields on Bully Beatdown back in the day and it looked as if the Bully was getting the better of the stand up portion.

Shields had some of the worst, robotic, awkward striking a Pro fighter could have. Yet GSP, who is regarded as a GOAT candidate(not my me) around here struggled to do much with Jake.

GSP had the superior wrestling and FAR superior stand up when compared to Shields yet Shields busted GSP up and was never closed to getting finished by Georges.

GSP fanatics, explain.
ufc129_12_gsp_vs_shields_024_large.jpg

Why even mention bully beatdown? Did you not see Shields nearly get flash KO'd by Hendo and come back to win?

According to GSP excuse makers he only had problems with Penn and Shields on the feet because of eye pokes. Serra caught him on the back of the head and the Condit head kick was probably a fluke as well.

Fact is GSP would have been regional level in kickboxing.

gsp had no power at all and he bruised easy, so if a guy just went forward he would get marked up

I remember watching Shields on Bully Beatdown back in the day and it looked as if the Bully was getting the better of the stand up portion.

Shields had some of the worst, robotic, awkward striking a Pro fighter could have. Yet GSP, who is regarded as a GOAT candidate(not my me) around here struggled to do much with Jake.

GSP had the superior wrestling and FAR superior stand up when compared to Shields yet Shields busted GSP up and was never closed to getting finished by Georges.

GSP fanatics, explain.

Shields dangerous grappling threat enabled him to getting away with landing more strikes.

GSP fanatics, explain.

I suspect the same issue as with Serra the first time, GSP was wary of Shields grappling game and Jake was less afraid of being taken down than most GSP opponents,

The threat of the takedown keeping opponents at long range was really key to GSP's sucess as thats were he was best as a striker.

Apart from the TD thread, because Shields standup wasnt that bad at all.
Lot of uneducated folks who can only rate by "looks".

It was clear Shields had hundreds of hours sparring with profficient strikers, he had good range management, didnt panic under the pressure of power punchers, kicked well with both legs and even his punching technique wasnt't bad, it just that he didnt have the commitment, athleticism and even body-type that "looked" impressive for uneducated fans

I think Jake Shields beat/chocked out like two or three UFC world champions in one night...and GSP won a decision against Jake...that is how good GSP was. Kind of average now that you think about it.

As it always is. Shields is a terrible striker, but one of the best grapplers in mma history. GSP is obiously territied of going to the ground with him, which affects his striking. GSP is a very good striker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicenhot
Back