Why did GSP struggle so much with Jake Shields?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eyepokes and GSP safely cruising without any danger from grappling. I wouldn't say he struggled, it was a clear watershed decision.

Jake Shields was asking his corner for permission to pull guard.

Gil Melendez(?) thought it was too risky and tactically a bad option, so Jake didn't.

Anyone who actually watched that fight, knows why GSP struggled.

You just ousted yourself TS.

Jake Shields is one of the most underrated tough fighters in MMA history.

GSP was outclassing him fairly easily initially.

Once Georges got his eyes scratched you could visibly see him start to wince and struggle.

easy. gsp was scared as hell to be on the ground with shields. shields has far superior ground skills, and gsp didn't want to take the risk. it was gsp who wanted the fight on the feet. that helped jake a ton on the stand-up.
God damn you are dumb as shit

Anyone who actually watched that fight, knows why GSP struggled.

You just ousted yourself TS.

Jake Shields is one of the most underrated tough fighters in MMA history.

GSP was outclassing him fairly easily initially.

Once Georges got his eyes scratched you could visibly see him start to wince and struggle.
Ousted myself? Come on man…Shields and his “win streak” which included guys like Mike Pyle and Ido Portal was not anywhere on GSP’s level… yet…

George fought scared(to go to the ground) and that’s why we saw what we saw.

<{1-9}>

First thing to know is Bully Beatdown is a scripted show, Mayhem the host admitted it years later.

Link: https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/4/17/842873/from-mayhem-i-have-a-confession-to

And yep, this could be a factor too.

KJq4Q.gif
gsp-eye-poke-om7rl.gif

shieldseyepoke02.gif
shieldseyepoke01_medium.gif

And just the overall fact that Shields is deceptively tough and wasn't fazed to go for it.

Jesus those are some pretty nasty eye pokes.

I remember watching Shields on Bully Beatdown back in the day and it looked as if the Bully was getting the better of the stand up portion.

Shields had some of the worst, robotic, awkward striking a Pro fighter could have. Yet GSP, who is regarded as a GOAT candidate(not my me) around here struggled to do much with Jake.

GSP had the superior wrestling and FAR superior stand up when compared to Shields yet Shields busted GSP up and was never closed to getting finished by Georges.

GSP fanatics, explain.
ufc129_12_gsp_vs_shields_024_large.jpg
I suggest going back and watching some of Jake’s fights.

GSP didn't want to risk being taken down and get sat on from top control. He honestly should have taken Jake down. Jake had Askren level of striking and demian maia level of take downs

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back