War Room Lounge v166: It's the classical freedom FROM gussets vs freedom OF gussets conundrum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeesh, I don't even remember the last time I played videogames for 4 hours straight. I usually only play 1 to 2 hours at a time.

Every night before bed. Like 10 pm to 2. Sometimes later. Its been ritual since about 5th grade and i cant sleep if i dont.

Every night before bed. Like 10 pm to 2. Sometimes later. Its been ritual since about 5th grade and i cant sleep if i dont.
Damn, I can't do that anymore as I'm usually asleep by 10pm. I'll play on my Switch for an hour or two before bed.

My issue with it is that the early game becomes very samesy across multiple games. I pretty much do the same thing every early game to win and by the time the later eras come it becomes a sure thing where I boringly click next turn till I finally win.
Every high difficulty game I rush slingers and take the nearest city state before settling a few cities so the first 50-100 turns always feels the same.

Huh. My early games feel very different depending on if I’m going for conquest, science, or culture. I loathe religion victory. I always get bored moving scores of missionaries and apostles mid game. And diplomatic victory seems like a stumble into it if culture goes sideways

do agree on 3 slingers. Best defense as well as city taking once they become archers. And lot more efficient to build as slings then pay to upgrade

Huh. My early games feel very different depending on if I’m going for conquest, science, or culture. I loathe religion victory. I always get bored moving scores of missionaries and apostles mid game. And diplomatic victory seems like a stumble into it if culture goes sideways

do agree on 3 slingers. Best defense as well as city taking once they become archers. And lot more efficient to build as slings then pay to upgrade
Its usually the mid game where I start to take off towards whatever victory condition I am aiming for. Early game against high difficulty AI, to me, seems more about trying to keep up with the bullshit extra settlers the AI gets so I focus on military and settling no matter what.... unless its one of those random lucky games where I end up solo on my own continent.

Trump started to use a new phrase to describe protesters: insurrectionists.

People are going to get killed on election day.
Hey, at least he's using it in a way that, if what he were describing were true, would be a proper usage of the term.

That's a win in my books. Like, I get that the American right has an addiction to buzzwords and finding new terms and phrases to describe the exact same people (vaguely, "the left"), but the blazing speed at which they are picking up and discarding words without regard for what they really mean is seriously terrible for discourse.

The fact that we live in dignified times strips citizens of the ability to publicly say what should be done to exceptionally undignified men. Having to remain "civil" allows snakes like Bill Barr to exist.

I see the angle, but how do you draw the line between legitimate disagreement and stuff that should make one a pariah or worse? And how do you stop it from constantly moving? It seems to be an unsolvable problem (if you really care about being correct and about being decent).

20200916-113140.jpg

How do you drive such a small car and still park like this?

I mean given the size of the parking spaces, it is pretty hard to excuse this, but sometimes this stuff has a history. Like a full parking Lot, and others have been parking like assholes, and this is the only option. And then these others leave.

Well, it's perfectly functional for the left half of the country. Things may get heated between the left, center-left, etc., but discussions generally stick to the actual issues and rely upon mutually agreed-upon terms.

We're at a point now - with most Republicans, it seems - where Trump profiting from government, exchanging political favors with hostile foreign governments, and appointing blatantly compromised agency heads is "just politics," yet Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez saying she doesn't like Trump and also voting against something Trump supports is "corruption."

It just seems like too many Americans are ideologically broken...for lack of a better word. People seem to have been cleaved from a perception of their own interests, and it's not like this in the rest of the world. Most people elsewhere know where their bread is buttered. But on this board I can find a trades worker saying yellow dog contracts should be legal and right to work should be the federal law of the land. I think it's the result of decades of well-poisoning by the American right intelligentsia in the wake of the civil rights movement. I think it's been too successful to be reversed.

It just seems like too many Americans are ideologically broken...for lack of a better word. People seem to have been cleaved from a perception of their own interests, and it's not like this in the rest of the world. Most people elsewhere know where their bread is buttered. But on this board I can find a trades worker saying yellow dog contracts should be legal and right to work should be the federal law of the land. I think it's the result of decades of well-poisoning by the American right intelligentsia in the wake of the civil rights movement. I think it's been too successful to be reversed.

I think the bigger issue is that the right lives in a different world when it comes to facts. All information sources that aren't explicitly rightist are seen as unreliable. The media, the gov't, academia, even former Trump officials who speak out are just dismissed as being part of the deep state. If the right were libertarians or something, that would be one thing (bad), but what's worse is when Trump can just assert that he fixed the problem with pre-existing conditions, and people who support doing something about the problem just believe him. Or we could argue rationally about the costs and benefits of various climate-change-mitigation policies, but if some people just say, "nah, it's a hoax," where do we go?

@Lead

I got a fucking problem with y'all. Shall we discuss it here or PM?

@Lead
Would this access you are referring to be Pepsi and or bacon related?

Another one I like is this:

I've made this analogy before, but it's 1 Kings 3:16–28 situation. Who's the real mother of progressivism? True Progressives or people they hate? Seems to me that "progressives" themselves believe that people they call centrists care more about progressive policy goals than they do (and they're right).

The baby is left-wing policy. True Progressives are the mother who's cool with slicing the baby in half, and the normie left is doing what's best for the baby.

I think the bigger issue is that the right lives in a different world when it comes to facts. All information sources that aren't explicitly rightist are seen as unreliable. The media, the gov't, academia, even former Trump officials who speak out are just dismissed as being part of the deep state. If the right were libertarians or something, that would be one thing (bad), but what's worse is when Trump can just assert that he fixed the problem with pre-existing conditions, and people who support doing something about the problem just believe him. Or we could argue rationally about the costs and benefits of various climate-change-mitigation policies, but if some people just say, "nah, it's a hoax," where do we go?

Even (perhaps especially) Libertarians are against the notion of the factual influencing policy. The american libertarian project - which in my understanding is the ideological underpinning of a neo-feudalist movement (check out Peter Thiel, for example) - is devoted to divorcing its adherents policy considerations from the results that are produced. This is what I mean when I say that people have been cleaved from their interests. People are to be convinced that to ask for a different set of rules isn't wrong on a policy level, it's immoral. The result is that, seemingly, the only unified group left with a class consciousness is the wealthy: the so called ''vulgar marxists'' as I think Mark Blyth put it.

The city has jet black squirrels running around everywhere. I don't think I've ever seen one before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back