• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

UFC 303 - Jiri unleashes anti-magic protection

I like Jiri and hope he wins but this is definitely wrong focus on his part.

Jiri has grown men in this thread seriously arguing about rituals and witches, fucking hilarious development.
actually their discussions is not far away genuine anthropologists debates, i'm pretty impressed by sherdog right now

Calling these practices 'black magic' has its roots in colonisers dismissing the people they conquered beliefs as 'evil'.

Each culture has their own spiritual practices.. Jiri should respect them.

Fighters invoke christ all the time, why can't Alex invoke his totems?
<PlusJuan>

Christian and Muslim god don’t work the way Alex’s rituals do
Could you elaborate ? I like you conversation and i'm more with your opponent at the moment, but this assertion spikes my interest. (and note that if christianity persecuted witchcarft in europe, it is also because it was see as the magic of dominated minorities, so it was also a colonial-like perspective)

Could you elaborate ? I like you conversation and i'm more with your opponent at the moment, but this assertion spikes my interest. (and note that if christianity persecuted witchcarft in europe, it is also because it was see as the magic of dominated minorities, so it was also a colonial-like perspective)
Both the bible and the quran accept the validity of rituals and ghosts and mediums, but they both condemn the acts as it’s like knowing what god knows or communing with Satan/Shaytan

Christianity did pursue people who practiced this sort of stuff and it had little to do with ethnicity, there was an order of knights that killed tens of thousands of people in the Baltics because they were seen as satanic since they were pagans and performed rituals to trees and nature and stuff, and did animal sacrifices, refusing to convert to Christianity

When you pray to God or Allah or whatever before a fight or a match, unless I’m misremembering what I read, it basically doesn’t help you, cause it’s like an influencing a material thing, so it’s condemned. Maybe it helps you not die, but God doesn’t just help you win if you pray to him

Both the bible and the quran accept the validity of rituals and ghosts and mediums, but they both condemn the acts as it’s like knowing what god knows or communing with Satan/Shaytan

Christianity did pursue people who practiced this sort of stuff and it had little to do with ethnicity, there was an order of knights that killed tens of thousands of people in the Baltics because they were seen as satanic since they were pagans and performed rituals to trees and nature and stuff, and did animal sacrifices, refusing to convert to Christianity

When you pray to God or Allah or whatever before a fight or a match, unless I’m misremembering what I read, it basically doesn’t help you, cause it’s like an influencing a material thing, so it’s condemned. Maybe it helps you not die, but God doesn’t just help you win if you pray to him
All right i get you. Just two things before leaving this strange sherdog conversation :

- I still think what you are saying prove the point of @wildchild88 : to discriminate between "white" and "black magic" you are using western/monotheist conceptions of what is white and what is black. Christianity, and maybe monotheism in general, consider that "praying" is pure but "trying to influence material things" is not. Well. Animist societis doesn't see it like that and there is no reason to impose them the chistian/monotheist view.

- colonisation doesnt necessarily have a link with ethnicity but with difference in general. Pagans, women (witches), etc. were persecuted because their cultural practices were different from the norm of those who had the power at this moment in this area and didn't want to adopt the same cultural view. Trying to impose cultural views in order to keep or impose one's domination is what is commonly called coloniality.

If he LOSES to Alex can we conclude that he was right about this matter and that to beat Alex we must first prevent him from using his shaman magic?
That and not get your face mashed by that left hook.
<Y2JSmirk>

When is Dana going to pull the finger out and hire a company exorcist so we can finally close this loophole?

All right i get you. Just two things before leaving this strange sherdog conversation :

- I still think what you are saying prove the point of @wildchild88 : to discriminate between "white" and "black magic" you are using western/monotheist conceptions of what is white and what is black. Christianity, and maybe monotheism in general, consider that "praying" is pure but "trying to influence material things" is not. Well. Animist societis doesn't see it like that and there is no reason to impose them the chistian/monotheist view.

- colonisation doesnt necessarily have a link with ethnicity but with difference in general. Pagans, women (witches), etc. were persecuted because their cultural practices were different from the norm of those who had the power at this moment in this area and didn't want to adopt the same cultural view. Trying to impose cultural views in order to keep or impose one's domination is what is commonly called coloniality.
Abrahamic religions don’t consider praying to be magic at all though, all magic would be bad or black magic. And it’s not just a western or Abrahamic thing, buddhism isn’t as 1’s and 0’s on it but the Buddha has decried magic before as materialistic and as attachment which is a bad thing in Buddhism

The colonisation thing came from the other guy just saying that not accepting Indian rituals is like being a coloniser, which asks why should jiri accept it if he sees it as cheating. And I don’t know if spreading religion with force to people within your ethnicity can exactly be considered colonialism. Plus there’s some limited evidence that there were in fact witches killing people in the forest, especially in Germany I think, which had the most witch burnings, so it isn’t just them being different, there may have actually been people being killed, especially children who were weaker and more kidnappable

Back