• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Topuria vs Volk official score

Either persons round, leaned toward volk though. I think all 3 judges giving it to volk is about right

It was a similar fight to Cruz vs. Chito, where Volk was moving and using his speed to stay out of Topuria's range and power. Topuria was patient and waiting for his opening.

Volk made a big mistake against the cage of trading blows; he should have changed levels and clinched or just circled out. But Rd1 was Volk.

Volk has gotten really good at winning rounds. He's had many 5 round title fights and he knows how to stay active and get the judges to give him the rounds.

But IMO, that style sort of bit him in the ass. Ilia wasn't there to point fight and win rounds he was there to knock Volk out. And somewhere in all the title fights and success Volk lost a big of his edge and forgot that this is a fight not just a point sport

Volk even was crying about it after the fight.. " I won the first round easily things were going my way".

Yeah.. except your opponent was not trying to win rounds he was trying to put you to sleep man!
I can see that. But volk finished KZ and Yair 2 of his latest FW fights. Also as Volk said, him and his team knew ilia had the power to end the fight and they needed to fight smart. It’s kind of like fighting a guy like Pavlovich in the sense that you can’t get into a firefight or brawl with a guy like that because the odds of you not getting hurt badly are not good. So you have to have a good game plan and be careful. Volk said he was about to start opening up right before the ko. He said he was starting to figure him out. I think that was the first round was about for Volk.

The mma ringer guys did the post fight show and they all said including Ariel that Volk won round one and was seemingly had figured out topuria in round 2. But my question for volk now is his chin completely cracked now? 2 nasty ko’s in a row in a short time can’t be good.

I don't think you can infer anything about chin degradation after those two KOs. One was a straight up headkick and the other was a power hook that landed flush. Topuria would have put out anyone with that shot.

I don't think you can infer anything about chin degradation after those two KOs. One was a straight up headkick and the other was a power hook that landed flush. Topuria would have put out anyone with that shot.
Well I guess we will see with volks next fight. I hope we don’t see him in the cage again until close to end of this year. He needs time to heal and rest up.

I'd say his strikes looked like they had far more effect on volk. In particular his low calf kicks and the strike that bounced him off the cage. He moved forward the whole time and nullified volks attacks. Not sure what caused the blood but it didn't seem indicative of the round
Well the way someone reacts to a strike doesn’t have a real effect on how a fight is going. For example my boy max was literally putting on a striking clinic on Kattar and there were points where kattar was catching max and he would flinch a bit, but he won on the scorecards winning 3 rounds 10-8 on 2 of judges scorecards which means he was absolutely schooling Calvin. Which he did. But just an example of the way a guy is taking a strike and his body reaction doesn’t necessarily mean something on the scorecard.

Well I guess we will see with volks next fight. I hope we don’t see him in the cage again until close to end of this year. He needs time to heal and rest up.

Chin or not, taking that kind of damage is career shortening. He's only getting older too

I was going to say the same thing. If you go off the judging criteria Volk won round one. And he was winning round 2 until the ko. But that’s what happens with a guy like Topuria he has the ultimate equalizer in those bombs and speed and precision. I think Volk was starting to figure him out in round two and he kind of eluded to that when he said he was landing shots and seeing everything Ilia was throwing in round two. He said he was just about to start really opening up and showing different wrinkles right before the ko. If they rematch, Volk needs to figure out how to keep his back off the fence and not get cornered. He can’t stand in a phone booth and trade he won’t win that kind of fight. Ilia hands are faster and much more boom. Has to be elusive.
tenor.gif

I simply don't see it. Aside from a couple flappy body kicks, volk looked scared and stung every time ilia threw. I honestly thought it was an easy round for Ilia, and am shocked at those in agreement. I guess its subjective.
Vast majority of the thread - including several respectable non-juveline posters - disagree with you.

Your own logic is based on subjective assessments such as a Championship level professional fighter and former Rugby player "looked scared" at times. Ummmm for realz?

It's time to take the L and move on.

Not sure what the problem is. There was no grappling or knockdowns, and Volk landed like twice as many strikes. He looked a little unsure of himself after getting KO'd in his last fight, and was backing up with his chin out before circling, but was till landing more and the most notable thing Topuria landed was the first leg kick he threw, which wasn't that major.

So Volk got the high score in the first, does that mean he wins the round 1 prize? Guy got flat lined.

Topuria was definitely winning round 1 until about a minute left. Volk ended the round well and evened it, possibly edged it. It's a tossup round really. @Ares Black claiming clear Volk is smoking mushrooms.

Vast majority of the thread - including several respectable non-juveline posters - disagree with you.

Your own logic is based on subjective assessments such as a Championship level professional fighter and former Rugby player "looked scared" at times. Ummmm for realz?

It's time to take the L and move on.
I still think Ilia won round one, the only L I took was seeing that some people disagree...which makes no sense. I domt care if an army of non juvenile posters say one thing, doesn't make them or myself any more right or wrong.

All the excuses Volk is making up and false narratives.
Where did he make up excuses? I must have missed that. I did hear him say he was doing well until he wasn’t and that they knew ilia had power and tried to gsme plan for that. He also said he got caught and gave ilia his congrats. Didn’t hear him use any excuses.

I still think Ilia won round one, the only L I took was seeing that some people disagree...which makes no sense. I domt care if an army of non juvenile posters say one thing, doesn't make them or myself any more right or wrong.
Thinking that Ilia Topuria won the round is a perfectly reasonable opinion. I disagree, but it was a competitive round.

My issue is your claim that Topuria obviously won it and that the judges are corrupt.

The judges might very well be corrupt and/or incompetent (Sal D'Amato style) but this round isn't an example of poor judging, in fact quite the opposite.

Back