• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Topuria vs Volk official score

The mma ringer guys did the post fight show and they all said including Ariel that Volk won round one and was seemingly had figured out topuria in round 2. But my question for volk now is his chin completely cracked now? 2 nasty ko’s in a row in a short time can’t be good.

Relevant question.

It also calls into doubt the claims that Ilia is suddenly a P4P contender.

Some of the posts on here were plain silly, that Ilia is 'better than Volk everywhere' which certainly didn't look true last Saturday.

The mma ringer guys did the post fight show and they all said including Ariel that Volk won round one and was seemingly had figured out topuria in round 2. But my question for volk now is his chin completely cracked now? 2 nasty ko’s in a row in a short time can’t be good.
Ariel Helwani is now the voice of reason in judging? I'd argue that it makes it look even more wrong.b

I feel like you are just coming up with this out of thin air. We've had so many robbery threads after every decision, its a plague on here, so now there is no decision and it finishes in KO, we're just going to scream robbery for the 1st round.

I don't know where you're coming up with all this "he pieced Volk up" nonsense, not much happened in round 1, neither of them landed any big shots, it was very cautious from both and not much flush shots landed at all. No robbery. Volk 10-9 is more than fair

I simply don't see it. Aside from a couple flappy body kicks, volk looked scared and stung every time ilia threw. I honestly thought it was an easy round for Ilia, and am shocked at those in agreement. I guess its subjective.
No
I simply don't see it. Aside from a couple flappy body kicks, volk looked scared and stung every time ilia threw. I honestly thought it was an easy round for Ilia, and am shocked at those in agreement. I guess its subjective.
look at the stats from the fight. 26 significant strikes landed for Volk to Topuria 15 in round one. Neither guy knocked the other down in round one. No control time in grappling. And if we look at damage, topuria nose was already busted up and bleeding when they went to their stools. So how was topuria winning round one again? Because Volk was biting on feints a few times and flinching? That doesn’t have anything to do with the scoring criteria.

I feel like you are just coming up with this out of thin air. We've had so many robbery threads after every decision, its a plague on here, so now there is no decision and it finishes in KO, we're just going to scream robbery for the 1st round.

I don't know where you're coming up with all this "he pieced Volk up" nonsense, not much happened in round 1, neither of them landed any big shots, it was very cautious from both and not much flush shots landed at all. No robbery. Volk 10-9 is more than fair
I read the article about Ortega reflecting on volk and noticed they said he won the round on all three scorecards. It never occurred to me he won that round.

No

look at the stats from the fight. 26 significant strikes landed for Volk to Topuria 15 in round one. Neither guy knocked the other down in round one. No control time in grappling. And if we look at damage, topuria nose was already busted up and bleeding when they went to their stools. So how was topuria winning round one again? Because Volk was biting on feints a few times and flinching? That doesn’t have anything to do with the scoring criteria.
I don't usually like the significant strike meter they use because there's a lot of grey area on what counts as a significant strike.

Had volk up 1-0
Like almost everyone trying to be objective. I didn’t have a dog in that fight, but going of judging criteria I had volk winning round one. And it looked like he was starting to figure him out in round two. Most mma podcasts I listen all had volk up in round one. And the official scorecards did too.

I was rooting for Topuria and even I gave the first round to Volk.

I thought Volk took the round even though he seemed less “comfortable”. I couldn’t put my finger on it in real time, but I knew Volk need to loosen up or start grappling or else he was going to be in trouble when Topuria started to put out more volume.

Turns out Topuria adjusted first, cornered and caught him, without drastically increasing his output.

I don't usually like the significant strike meter they use because there's a lot of grey area on what counts as a significant strike.
But that withstands reason. He was out striking topuria in round one that is a fact. The stats show that. Neither guy knocked the other down and no grappling control time for either. Topuria was already wearing damage on his face with his nose. So everything points to topuria not winning round one. If the assumption is topuria hits harder than Volk and is more explosive than Volk then yes I would certainly agree with that. But that doesn’t have anything to do with scoring a fight with judging.

Like almost everyone trying to be objective. I didn’t have a dog in that fight, but going of judging criteria I had volk winning round one. And it looked like he was starting to figure him out in round two. Most mma podcasts I listen all had volk up in round one. And the official scorecards did too.
I see now that people had different opinions on it. All three sherdog judges gave ilia round one, and until now i didn't really think about it. I guess I can see where you guys are coming from, but I still think topuria won that round

I see now that people had different opinions on it. All three sherdog judges gave ilia round one, and until now i didn't really think about it. I guess I can see where you guys are coming from, but I still think topuria won that round
Fair enough. What reasons do you come to as to why you felt Ilia was winning? Im curious.

Volk has gotten really good at winning rounds. He's had many 5 round title fights and he knows how to stay active and get the judges to give him the rounds.

But IMO, that style sort of bit him in the ass. Ilia wasn't there to point fight and win rounds he was there to knock Volk out. And somewhere in all the title fights and success Volk lost a big of his edge and forgot that this is a fight not just a point sport

Volk even was crying about it after the fight.. " I won the first round easily things were going my way".

Yeah.. except your opponent was not trying to win rounds he was trying to put you to sleep man!

Volk did win the first round. You watch the fight?

Fair enough. What reasons do you come to as to why you felt Ilia was winning? Im curious.
I'd say his strikes looked like they had far more effect on volk. In particular his low calf kicks and the strike that bounced him off the cage. He moved forward the whole time and nullified volks attacks. Not sure what caused the blood but it didn't seem indicative of the round

Back