So. What's the difference?

People have literally been pulling down confederate statues across the country. Those same people want traitors' names taken away from government property.

Nothing wrong with that.

Very few people that were manipulated by the media, sure. Like I said, I don’t really care either way. Keep the same or change, doesn’t make a difference to me. But to make it a bigger issue than affordable healthcare/Medicare for all, funding social security, decreasing the wealth gap, addressing poverty etc is absolutely asinine.

After WW2, Germany pulled down all Nazi symbols. After the USSR imploded, former Iron Curtain states toppled statues of Lenin and other Soviet leaders. After the US invaded Iraq, US Marines brought down a statue of Saddam Hussein.

The rightwing in America never whined about any of the above , but they are whining about Confederate leaders, says a lot about the closet sympathies of many on the right.
The dude was talking about George Washing statues, not Confederate statues.

Lefties really wanted an anti establishment candidate, but they settled with the establishment. No big changes.

After WW2, Germany pulled down all Nazi symbols. After the USSR imploded, former Iron Curtain states toppled statues of Lenin and other Soviet leaders. After the US invaded Iraq, US Marines brought down a statue of Saddam Hussein.

The rightwing in America never whined about any of the above , but they are whining about Confederate leaders, says a lot about the closet sympathies of many on the right.

You haven’t really dealt with my point here.

Going by your logic, we should remove everything and anything to do with George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin ... burn it all to the ground.

Very few people that were manipulated by the media, sure. Like I said, I don’t really care either way. Keep the same or change, doesn’t make a difference to me. But to make it a bigger issue than affordable healthcare/Medicare for all, funding social security, decreasing the wealth gap, addressing poverty etc is absolutely asinine.

What media do you think we're engaging in?

Furthermore, correct me if I'm wrong @MicroBrew, this entire conversation is due to Micro making a quip about the sheer lack of real change we'll see.

Those names and statues glorify the Confederacy and is a big ole F You to Blacks. Most of the Confederate statues were erected long after the Civil War ended, in the Jim Crow era and when Blacks were fighting for Civil Rights.
We should also get rid of that Columbus statues , because of what he did to the natives he encounted and his attitude towards them.

A lot bigger issues in this country that we ignore

Wow, that certainly improves my quality of life. Can he paint Black Lives Matter on more streets also?
Imagine suggesting that there could be more substantive issues in regards to the lives of working-class Americans than statues or names of military bases?

Go back to your basket, deplorable.

Curious as to what people think will be biggest changes made with Biden in charge. Less drones more health care and immigration,? Change to taxes etc or a harder attack on covid?

Or does nothing much change apart from not having to be embarrassed by Trump,

Genuinely curious because it doesn't seem to matter who's in charge here ( Australian) as they're all bloody terribly similar. ( our politicians)

I think there were more drone strikes under Obama ironically.

Very little will change in terms of policy due to Republicans controlling the Senate. If Joe had a blue Senate, we could expect a return to reducing the deficit by taxing the rich at a higher rate.

Given the lack of congressional power, I do expect we'll see minor changes in foreign policy. We'll rejoin the Paris Accords, resume some sort of trade relations with Cuba, and seek to reinstate the Iran deal. We'll stop acting favorably toward North Korea and Brazil. We'll continue acting favorably toward Israel and Saudi Arabia.

In terms of the executive branch, Biden will reinstate some level of competence. Instead of having oil lobbyists using the EPA to benefit polluters and having for-profit school barons using the Dept. of Education to screw students and lendees, we'll see minimally qualified centrists in the positions.

What media do you think we're engaging in?

Furthermore, correct me if I'm wrong @MicroBrew, this entire conversation is due to Micro making a quip about the sheer lack of real change we'll see.

Nah, wasn’t a quip about the lack of real change we’ll see. He thought it would be a huge accomplishment for Biden. A milestone, if you will.

Nah, wasn’t a quip about real change we’ll see. He thought it would be a huge accomplishment for Biden. A milestone, if you will.

Then you don't know him as a poster. He's not enthusiastic about Biden/Harris.

he wasn’t so bad before the TDS afflicted him. Used to watch him every Friday night but he got a little too Trump obsessed.
I always wondered how he doesn't get his ass kicked every day.

So the argument is that the confederate statues should be removed as they were traitors to the Republic and therefore shouldn't be allowed?

Back