Social San Diego to spend 11 million on elaborate homeless tent facility

So what do you do with someone you love that won’t stop stealing from you, is dangerous, brings illegal drugs into your home, is blowing through your retirement savings, and has been doing so for a decade and won’t stop? You have to cut ties or they will ruin your life with their own.

Sometimes, yes.

But there are also ways to prevent it from getting to that point with the right family support and training. No one comes out of the womb smuggling drugs and stealing TVs to sell for meth. It also depends on the person. Some people are genuinely beyond help, obviously. Most people, though, are just beyond the ability of the people helping them. Which isn't at all a knock on the people who can't help their family members. Our system doesn't really provide families with the resources or education they need to help their loved ones.

When I say "Americans don't care about family," that's what I mean. That we don't invest resources into family the same way we do the military, for example, or policing drugs.

That place will need to be heavily policed tbo, with that many desperate drug users in one dense area. There are some, like my uncle, who no matter how much help received will just never get their act together and only look to take short term advantage if there is an opportunity to do so. It's sad. This seems like at least something that may help those with the capability to help themselves.

Liberal cities in California, Oregon, and Washington state don’t enforce drug laws because their constituents think that’s that prosecuting addiction, a medical problem, is inhumane. The corollary to that is that the nation’s drug addicts move to those Californian, Oregonian, and Washingtonian cities to use drugs and avoid jail. They become those cities’ homeless populations.

When I say "Americans don't care about family," that's what I mean. That we don't invest resources into family the same way we do the military, for example, or policing drugs.

The entire school system is an investment into family. Providing water, roads and other basics are investments into people, and thus families...and far too many people do not understand that since WWII, almost everything the military has done was protect the assets flowing into America, making it easier for families to provide.

There is a reason most goods are cheaper in America than in other places.

I really do not see what other ways the government should be investing into families...do we just have the government do everything? What remains, is what the family should be doing themselves.

<snip nonsense away>

You are arguing with yourself at this point. I live in this city, I know what kind of economic hardships people endure. Tents are viable, building homes in one of the most expensive cities isn't for people who have no education or capacity to maintain them, never mind not even possible due to construction costs and budgets for public housing being out of sync.

Dude, I was just giving you shit. Just breaking your balls.

Here in Seattle we have a terrible, worsening homeless population situation...

I dont know what the solution is. Like you I struggle with conflicting thoughts of compassion and empathy, and frustration.
It's long, but worth the watch. They explain the issues, the causes and provide solutions.

dude, I saw this the week it came out.

rang true in so many ways.
They're doing another one on Los Angeles' homeless issue. I'm looking forward to it.
They need to kick Seattle's politicians out and vote in people who will implement an actual solution like the one provided in the video instead of feeding and growing the problem.

They're doing another one on Los Angeles' homeless issue. I'm looking forward to it.
They need to kick Seattle's politicians out and vote in people who will implement an actual solution like the one provided in the video instead of feeding and growing the problem.

absolutely they do. there is growing anger about this issue.

I work in downtown and I walk through the epicenter of this problem. It is as bad as they say it is.

I'm pretty much on board with it. From what I've read, one of the biggest burdens for the homeless getting of the street is the lack of a reliable address. So many social services request that you provide them with an address where they can contact you. They don't issue identification cards without addresses either.

It's such a small thing but it makes a big difference for those people who are genuinely trying to improve situation.

You are arguing with yourself at this point.

I was since the start. You only wanted to give your opinion, dismissed the opinions of a large professional group, realized you farked yourself over doing it then tried to use info from them to suit your argument and failed again only to try to say you didnt say two things to have it shown you did just for you to go full retard here after I showed fully how your support for this idea is proof of being a moron from top to bottom.

Not only are you in favor of tents over homes, you are in favor of over priced tents providing less shelter than a building that can house far far more, far better, for 1/10th the cost.

You are not for ending homelessness, you are here to do some SJW level moral grand-standing pretending you are about a thing you have no intention of actually fixing.

I was since the start. You only wanted to give your opinion, dismissed the opinions of a large professional group, realized you farked yourself over doing it then tried to use info from them to suit your argument and failed again only to try to say you didnt say two things to have it shown you did just for you to go full retard here after I showed fully how your support for this idea is proof of being a moron from top to bottom.

Not only are you in favor of tents over homes, you are in favor of over priced tents providing less shelter than a building that can house far far more, far better, for 1/10th the cost.

You are not for ending homelessness, you are here to do some SJW level moral grand-standing pretending you are about a thing you have no intention of actually fixing.

You don't know enough to counter my opinion. stop bro

You don't know enough to counter my opinion. stop bro

I know, homes for the homeless and charities that end homelessness are "conservative strawmen", you already told me.

iu

Lefties...

Your arument was enviscerated in post
I know, homes for the homeless and charities that end homelessness are "conservative strawmen", you already told me.

iu

Lefties...
Your conservative strawmen arguments were eviscerated in post #86 and with that I 86 you.

Your conservative strawmen arguments were eviscerated in post #86 and with that I 86 you.

You cant even spell eviscerated correctly...and you quoted me, eviscerating you on top of it.

Post 86, was proven wrong 3 times. twice with actual professionals that help the homeless. You are a typical lefitst, you think your personal uneducated opinion trumps everything.

talk about a total fail.

This post written by an 8 year old in the 2nd grade. School computers are not for Sherdog!

You cant even spell eviscerated correctly...and you quoted me, eviscerating you on top of it.

Post 86, was proven wrong 3 times. twice with actual professionals that help the homeless. You are a typical lefitst, you think your personal uneducated opinion trumps everything.

talk about a total fail.

You never countered any of my points in post 86. Now either respond or shut the fuck up.

You never countered any of my points in post 86. Now either respond or shut the fuck up.

<36>

But but everything I say to prove you wrong are magically conservative strawmen, remember? how is that possible if I am not responding...

<{pranko}>

Go to bed child, you sound cranky.

Downtown SD is staright up ravaged w homeless, there's a psych ward down there they release people from right into like the Horton Plaza area and it's just ridiculous.

I'm for this, but 11M seems a bit steep, no?

Back