Social US homelessness up 12% to highest reported level as rents soar and coronavirus pandemic aid lapses

It wouldn't inherently depreciate the value of existing homes. That's up to the market at that point. Plenty of countries are perfectly fine with multifamily housing. A homebuyer is buying a parcel of land and a dwelling, not a snapshot of time that is supposed to never change. That's how you end up with slums and housing shortages, when you make it harder for people to buy and sell homes and move naturally.

This also the same logic that led to white flight, housing covenants, and housing disparities between different populations. Cities and neighborhoods change throughout time, that's normal. Fighting that is incredibly damaging to society.

Again, why should a home be protected from depreciation when cars are not? You're essentially asking for a homeowner subsidy to protect them from competition on the market.

Are you arguing that criminality is bred into low income people? Because the correlation (and an imperfect one I'll add) is between poverty and crime. IE if you remove poverty, you would logically break that correlation. What's your evidence that renting an apartment makes you more liable to commit crimes?

1. This is just bad math and ignores sales tax and other tax methods.
2. It's incredibly shortsighted because this situation makes it less likely those several single parents move up the income ladder and gain wealth. In other words, you're cannibalizing your future tax base.

Tokyo.

Intentionally bringing in lower income people increases the likelihood of crime which increases the likelihood of depreciation.

I've already explained why the homeowners should be protected. They purchased their homes at a time when restrictions were in place to protect their property values. Those restrictions were a selling point at the time they purchased their home.

You are talking about creating slums, but you would be willing to lower the value of neighborhoods if it meant more people could live there. You would be willing to let middle class neighborhoods turn into slums.

Renters on average have less money than home owners. Lower income people on average commit more crimes than higher income people. Renters on average commit more crimes than home owners. You already know this. Why are you pretending that there is no safety risk to filling middle class neighborhoods with lower income renters?

My math was fine. More people will not equal more money if the additional people have considerably lower incomes. Few people would also put less of a strain on services.

You cherry picked one city in a country with low crime. Let's talk about the US. How many cities of 1 million or more have low crime, good schools, and decent traffic compared to the number of cities of 1 million or more that do not have low crime, good schools, and decent traffic?

Not too sure about the words you used ("people will force themselves to be homeless"), or maybe I just don't understand it completely, but I generally agree with you.

A large percentage of drug addicts are people self-medicating for some kind of mental health issue, and after Reagan closed down a large majority of mental health facilities, these people had/have nowhere to go.

My own father, upon returning from Vietnam War, got really messed up in the head from the war and tried to drink his problems away. He ended up homeless and eventually took his own life when I was just a young boy/baby. Not too sure what it was about his experience that drove him over the edge, however my mom had told me that he watched his best friend (In VN), who was getting ready to go home in a few days blow his own head off with an RPG or similar - it was an accident just total bad luck, but my mom said his friend's brains were literally in my dad's lap.

Of course I've always wondered if he would still be alive today had he got help for PTSD or mental problems, but times were different then. All I'm saying is that there is a certain percentage of homeless who deserve our help and we can't just write them off as nuisance drug addicts. Some do truly need help and literally have no family or friends to turn to.
I’m talking people that refuse to work, refuse to take orders from anyone, etc etc. Those people are gonna remain homeless no matter what. Especially if they burned their family/friend bridges already.

Then there’s alcoholics/druggies. Refuse to stop no matter what.

Not all of these are military vets. In fact probably very few.

I’m talking people that refuse to work, refuse to take orders from anyone, etc etc. Those people are gonna remain homeless no matter what. Especially if they burned their family/friend bridges already.

Then there’s alcoholics/druggies. Refuse to stop no matter what.

Not all of these are military vets. In fact probably very few.

I didn't say all were military vets - what I said was that a lot of drug addicts and alcoholics are self medicating for some kind of mental health problems.

I know it's only anecdotal, but we have a lot of homeless in San Diego (because of the weather they come from all over the country), do seem to be military vets - especially from the VN era, when PTSD and war trauma were not really a thing. From my understanding, by the time of Desert Storm and Iraq, PTSD was better understood and more mental health services were available. A lot of the homeless I talk to are in fact vets, believe it or not. Next time someone asks you for a dollar, strike up a conversation with them, you might be surprised.

Certainly there is a certain percentage of homeless who don't want help and refuse as much. I just don't think it's fair to lump them all in to that category.

I didn't say all were military vets - what I said was that a lot of drug addicts and alcoholics are self medicating for some kind of mental health problems.

I know it's only anecdotal, but we have a lot of homeless in San Diego (because of the weather they come from all over the country), do seem to be military vets - especially from the VN era, when PTSD and war trauma were not really a thing. From my understanding, by the time of Desert Storm and Iraq, PTSD was better understood and more mental health services were available. A lot of the homeless I talk to are in fact vets, believe it or not. Next time someone asks you for a dollar, strike up a conversation with them, you might be surprised.

Certainly there is a certain percentage of homeless who don't want help and refuse as much. I just don't think it's fair to lump them all in to that category.
I'd say the overall amount of homeless are in the shit category though. The vet % is very small. I talked to a few homeless here in Indiana. If they tell me they are a vet I start asking questions. You'd be surprised on how many are simply lying. Oh and btw, I got 20 years active under my belt. Retired in 2019.

Last edited:
Certainly if we cut corporate taxes, deregulate even more, and cut social welfare even more, this problem will go away.

I know we've been cutting taxes and deregulating for 50 years and it's had catastrophic consequences but bro I promise, I promise, we're almost there. Just cut taxes and deregulate a little bit more and homelessness will go away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back