Social San Diego to spend 11 million on elaborate homeless tent facility

A lot of homeless people are assholes and won’t want anything to do with it. It sucks but I don’t think there will ever be a cost efficient and actually effective way to fix the homeless issue. Even if this works to some degree there will still be a bunch of homeless people who refuse to stay there. I have a buddy whos a cop who had to go to a homeless encampment that was being cleaned up by cal trans workers. The homeless people were throwing bags of shit and needles at them and shit. Acting like they own the land. Fuck those disgusting people.
I've had to do very similar things in the past. As well as had to work in close proximity to city and charity run shelters. For a lot of those people there is no easy solution. Mental health and substance abuse problem are the root cause for most, not access to somewhere to stay.

Anyone who isn't a cunt would think that adapting the Salt Lake City model towards homelessness is the compassionate and intelligent way to deal with homelessness.

Anyone who isn't a cunt would think that adapting the Salt Lake City model towards homelessness is the compassionate and intelligent way to deal with homelessness.
They have the zoning to do it. California does not.

A lot of homeless people are assholes and won’t want anything to do with it. It sucks but I don’t think there will ever be a cost efficient and actually effective way to fix the homeless issue. Even if this works to some degree there will still be a bunch of homeless people who refuse to stay there. I have a buddy whos a cop who had to go to a homeless encampment that was being cleaned up by cal trans workers. The homeless people were throwing bags of shit and needles at them and shit. Acting like they own the land. Fuck those disgusting people.

There are actually a lot of countires that don't have homelessness. They have a few homeless people here and there, but this sort of mass homelessness as an aspect of society is very solvable and has been solved all over the world.

If it doesn't include drug rehab and mental heath services it's only going to help a small portion of the homeless. Drug addicts are a huge percentage of the homeless and without proper rehab and mental health services those people will remain on the streets. In the city I live in we have a huge homeless issue, there are open beds in every shelter that has a no drug use policy or a curfew. Just housing people isn't going to help with the underlying issues. It's treating the symptoms not the cause.

And very quickly this will become a magnet for even more homeless until it can't possibly house them all.

I'm not sure what the answer would be at the State or Local government level. Much of this is a drug problem and it's driven by family issues and the fact that these people don't have anything productive to do. Just building more tent cities will only help for as long as it takes for those facilities to become overwhelmed.

I can't speak to the massive homeless problems in California. Here in Cleveland it is just as you describe. There are some people who are down on their luck and the system, though imperfect, usually works pretty well at getting them back on their feet. A large majority however, struggles with mental illness and/or drug addiction. It's usually both. That obviously complicates the issue.

It's good that San Diego is at least trying to reduce the squalor and improve conditions, but to really solve the problem takes a lot of individual care and is very time consuming and emotionally draining.

You live in Cleveland? I am deeply sorry.

PopularOrangeAfricanparadiseflycatcher-size_restricted.gif

At least this diverts funds from the huge dildo factory they were going to build

They were gonna corner the market on dildos

At least this diverts funds from the huge dildo factory they were going to build

They were gonna corner the market on dildos

I for one am relieved. My dildo futures contracts are safe.

Dismisses link to large group of people that have helped the homeless since the 1940s

Read your own link shithead.

The tents is San diego help the Temporary/Transistional type.

"
TYPES OF HOMELESS
The face of homelessness is changing rapidly. Though, veterans, people with disabilities, single parent families, substance addict are at a higher risk, nowadays, more and more working population are struggling with the risk of homelessness.
Here are the types of Homeless;

Chronic Homeless
These people constitute the least common kind of homeless. For instance, they are the ones who have been living on the streets without any source of income for over a year or more.

Temporary/ Transitional Homeless
The people who stay at a shelter or on the streets for a short period due to a catastrophic event is the most common type of homelessness in America.

Episodic Homeless
The ones who are frequently going in and out of the homeless shelters constitute the Episodic homeless. In other words, they are usually young people suffering from medical conditions, abuse, domestic violence or unemployment.

Homeless under other Federal statutes
This category comprises of unaccompanied youth under 25, or families with children or youth who are on the verge of becoming homeless as they do not have steady source of income.

Fleeing from Domestic Violence
In short, much of homeless population comprises of men, women and children who are victims of domestic violence. They do not have any other home and are fleeing from the one they used to call their own."

While there are some homeless folks that are down on their lucky, looking to make life better for themselves, a larger part is either on drugs, has mental issues, or a mixture of the two. The mental aspect seems to be one that our society is more than happy to ignore.

Exactly. I would go so far as to say this is an unnecessary expenditure. A waste of money. There are numerous shelters and soup kitchens in every city in the US. Some religious ones, some non-profits, some privately funded. The all have rules. You can't be a psycho or a hopeless addict or drunk. I think that's about it. So that should end up being a nice little Thunderdome within a year via adverse selection---and no longer in use within two years (unless they staff/police it like a prison).

Read your own link shithead.

The tents is San diego help the Temporary/Transistional type.

"
TYPES OF HOMELESS
The face of homelessness is changing rapidly. Though, veterans, people with disabilities, single parent families, substance addict are at a higher risk, nowadays, more and more working population are struggling with the risk of homelessness.
Here are the types of Homeless;

Chronic Homeless
These people constitute the least common kind of homeless. For instance, they are the ones who have been living on the streets without any source of income for over a year or more.

Temporary/ Transitional Homeless
The people who stay at a shelter or on the streets for a short period due to a catastrophic event is the most common type of homelessness in America.

Episodic Homeless
The ones who are frequently going in and out of the homeless shelters constitute the Episodic homeless. In other words, they are usually young people suffering from medical conditions, abuse, domestic violence or unemployment.

Homeless under other Federal statutes
This category comprises of unaccompanied youth under 25, or families with children or youth who are on the verge of becoming homeless as they do not have steady source of income.

Fleeing from Domestic Violence
In short, much of homeless population comprises of men, women and children who are victims of domestic violence. They do not have any other home and are fleeing from the one they used to call their own."

Golfclap, the leftist finally, after how many posts decides to actually even click on the link to the professionals that help the homeless but still manages to have his head so far up his own arse he things highlighting 1, out of 5 types of homeless people somehow proves his limited point, over mine which encompasses all types.

Well, Lefty McLeftist perhaps you should keep on reading because right below what you quoted is...

"MEASURES TO END HOMELESSNESS
The homeless people face several changes such as unemployment, lack of education, domestic violence, language barriers, physical, mental and behavioral health concerns, substance and alcohol addiction, lack of self-confidence, rejection by peers and lack of job search skills.
However, we can work together to bring an end to this problem. It involves massive participation of common people, government, country officials, law enforcement, NGO’s and social welfare organizations towards a common goal.

Here are the steps to bring an end Homelessness;

• Affordable Housing
The gap..."

Ahh shit, the first and most important thing listed is actual housing...

Also, why are you now quoting from my link, its just a "conservative strawman" remember...actually fixing homelessness is a conservative thing, your words. Fool.

[<dunn]

But you really should go on with your tents end homelessness while housing does not argument...

<Gordonhat>

There are actually a lot of countires that don't have homelessness. They have a few homeless people here and there, but this sort of mass homelessness as an aspect of society is very solvable and has been solved all over the world.

USAs homelessness % is actually lower than a lot of other first world countries.. notably Germany, France, Sweden and the UK. I don’t think it’s as easily solvable as you’re making it sound. The problem is that the homeless in the US often congregate to the same spots(where the weather is favorable). And that location becomes known for having a lot of homeless.

Homeless and hunger are two of the issues I struggle with the most living in America as I believe both can be largely eradicated with little effort if people were serious about combating these issues.

I came across this article which shows the city of San Diego, which has the nations 4th largest homeless population is spending 11 million dollars to fund 3 "bridge shelters" which are indoor facilities where people can sleep and store their belongings.

San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer, a Republican, signed off last week on a City Council-approved $11 million contract to fund through June 2020 three such “bridge shelters” for the homeless and a facility for people to store their belongings. The contract also laid the groundwork for the construction of a fourth bridge shelter.

“We’re taking dramatic action to move homeless people off the streets and get them help,” Faulconer told Fox News. “Our strategy is to connect, support and shelter them.”

I must say I'm proud of this Republican governor for making an attempt to mitigate this problem as I don't believe anyone in America should go hungry or be without a roof over their heads.

So my question to you is, are you ok with using taxpayer money to build shelters like this or should they just use their bootstraps?

Homelessness is a major problem in America that isn't going away so I think it's the right thing to do to tackle this problem at a local level.

This is what one of the facilities looks like.

SD-Homeless.jpg

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/sa...to-build-elaborate-tent-facility-for-homeless
So naive. If you build it, they will come.

There are always more. There is always going to be life fighting to find a way on the fringe. If you feed what exists, more will populate, and take up their place on the outskirts in the most desperate conditions of human subsistence where possible. Death is the only equilibrium.

That's why homelessness isn't much of a problem in countries where it freezes over in the winter. The desperate migrate. Don't even have to be homeless. I think of all the Russian husbands who freeze to death because they're scared to go home, and answer to their wives for all the vodka on their breath.

What you're talking about is managing it. That is more sensible. Expensive, but perhaps less expensive for a city like San Diego considering other policies that are out of their hands.

Well I think the answer is somewhere in the middle... I'm not for giving them any "money" but I'm all for giving them a roof over their head, 3 meals and some clean clothes and basic hygiene products. Like someone said previously, maybe offer them some classes, help with a resume or get them into an entry level job so they can begin to rediscover their dignity. Of course some drug rehabilitation and mental health treatment would also accompany that.

You need the mental health assessment on the intake, and they would have to pledge to be clean and get tested and such. Or you get Thunderdome. And guess what? Those places are already everywhere. It's the addicts/drunks and unstable folks who can't stay. You or I can spend this whole summer in Cincinnati and eat and sleep on the man's dime, no problem at all. But I'm in favor of what you describe---with the aforementioned churches, non-profits and private ventures that already provide said services. The no addicts using/drunks drinking rule is what keeps probably most of your population on the street. And that's where they will remain. Unless they let them all in which would end in bloodshed and isn't really feasible. The $11M could most certainly be better spent. Eating is available and is used by all or most, I think, but there are typically vacancies at the drop-in shelters (rules) where you can sleep overnight.

Back