Social San Diego to spend 11 million on elaborate homeless tent facility

zebby23

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Homeless and hunger are two of the issues I struggle with the most living in America as I believe both can be largely eradicated with little effort if people were serious about combating these issues.

I came across this article which shows the city of San Diego, which has the nations 4th largest homeless population is spending 11 million dollars to fund 3 "bridge shelters" which are indoor facilities where people can sleep and store their belongings.

San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer, a Republican, signed off last week on a City Council-approved $11 million contract to fund through June 2020 three such “bridge shelters” for the homeless and a facility for people to store their belongings. The contract also laid the groundwork for the construction of a fourth bridge shelter.

“We’re taking dramatic action to move homeless people off the streets and get them help,” Faulconer told Fox News. “Our strategy is to connect, support and shelter them.”

I must say I'm proud of this Republican governor for making an attempt to mitigate this problem as I don't believe anyone in America should go hungry or be without a roof over their heads.

So my question to you is, are you ok with using taxpayer money to build shelters like this or should they just use their bootstraps?

Homelessness is a major problem in America that isn't going away so I think it's the right thing to do to tackle this problem at a local level.

This is what one of the facilities looks like.

SD-Homeless.jpg

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/sa...to-build-elaborate-tent-facility-for-homeless

I believe homelessness is best tackled at the family level, but Americans don't really care about family so this is a good fix. San Diego's homelessness problem is insane. I remember hearing about this project early on (or maybe just an earlier version of this?) and I was a fan. Still am. Anything to get these people off the streets and give them a chance to get their lives back.

Any effort to help the homeless is worth the cost. Yes, most made bad life decisions and continue to. I hope it's more than just feeding them and clothing them, but offering classes and workshops that can help them get a job and earn a living. Teach them a trade and give them another chance.

While there are some homeless folks that are down on their lucky, looking to make life better for themselves, a larger part is either on drugs, has mental issues, or a mixture of the two. The mental aspect seems to be one that our society is more than happy to ignore.

Last edited:
Its good to see someone trying to do something. 11 million is a small price to pay if it can help bring people to places they used to avoid because of the homeless problems. I lived in SD about 20 years back. The homeless was always all over the place in the gas lamp district. I recall going to the red C lounge one night to find 2 homeless people on the dance floor. The whole place smelled like shit and the employees were lighting off incense. Needless to say, I didn't stay long.

Maybe bring the cost of living down so the poor people you pretend to give a shit about can afford to live? Nah

Some people: give them all the money! Welfare is always good!

Other people: They can get a job like the rest of us! Welfare is always bad!

Maybe bring the cost of living down so the poor people you pretend to give a shit about can afford to live? Nah

This is the reason everyone should have this clown on ignore lol...

Some people: give them all the money! Welfare is always good!

Other people: They can get a job like the rest of us! Welfare is always bad!

Well I think the answer is somewhere in the middle... I'm not for giving them any "money" but I'm all for giving them a roof over their head, 3 meals and some clean clothes and basic hygiene products. Like someone said previously, maybe offer them some classes, help with a resume or get them into an entry level job so they can begin to rediscover their dignity. Of course some drug rehabilitation and mental health treatment would also accompany that.

Welllllll, If you're gonna be homeless, San Diego ain't a bad place to do it. Eye candy, no extreme weather, generous hippies. Could be worse
<Fedor23>

But really, I used to live in SD, and I remember there always being a large homeless population. I'm all for helping people get off the streets. We waste so much money on a lot of bullshit anyways, and they aren't going to just disappear, so it's in everyone's best interest to help. Put a roof over their head and help them get a job.

Also assess their mental states. I remember quite a few 'famous' homeless people in SD that had their spots. Everyone knew who they were, and they were clearly mentally not well.

Well I think the answer is somewhere in the middle... I'm not for giving them any "money" but I'm all for giving them a roof over their head, 3 meals and some clean clothes and basic hygiene products. Like someone said previously, maybe offer them some classes, help with a resume or get them into an entry level job so they can begin to rediscover their dignity. Of course some drug rehabilitation and mental health treatment would also accompany that.
Yes

Me: sounds cool, but need more info to have an informed opinion. San Diego can do whatever it wants to alleviate its problems. I'm glad it's being addressed locally. America is too big for most problems to be addressed at a national level.

OMG, a concentration camp!

Probably the first time I've been in full agreement with you. Ever.

hmmm....
Nah, I'll continue to post as I see fit.

Ok then lets talk about your post...

Is a concentration camp a place where people are willing to go? Or did you shitpost because you saw a thread started by someone you disagree with?

I am 100% in favor of helping reintegrate the homeless into proper society. It starts with getting off of drugs, though. Nothing will improve until that is out of your system.

Back