News Robelis Despaigne vs Waldo Cortes-Acosta set for UFC St. Louis on May 11

Who wins?

• Total voters
To be fair, they're not exactly the cream of the crop.
You're right. The current HW champ is the current evolution of MMA, that's why you don't see guys from yesteryear holding the belt. Oh wait, that old fuck from yesteryear made DAT EVOLVED MMA top HW look like a complete bum.

The biggest comedy on these forums is that there is some big evolved MMA that guys like GSP, Anderson Silva, Jon Jones and co couldn't be the best in today's landscape.

It's the biggest bullshit narrative ever put out on these forums. There is no one more evolved than the best fighters from a decade ago.

You're right. The current HW champ is the current evolution of MMA, that's why you don't see guys from yesteryear holding the belt. Oh wait, that old fuck from yesteryear made DAT EVOLVED MMA top HW look like a complete bum.

The biggest comedy on these forums is that there is some big evolved MMA that guys like GSP, Anderson Silva, Jon Jones and co couldn't be the best in today's landscape.

It's the biggest bullshit narrative ever put out on these forums. There is no one more evolved than the best fighters from a decade ago.

I'm not sure who you are referring too, there is no heavyweight champion of MMA nor is there even an undisputed HW champion in the UFC. Do you mean Jon Jones?

I don't think GSP and Jon Jones not being able to compete with today's fighter is much of a thing. The latter wouldn't make that much sense as he is not retired.

I would say picking on heavyweights, especially non-ranked ones, is being highly selective. Tank Abbott and james colossus thompson wasn't a world beater either.

Disclaimer: I don't agree with top guys from the past not being good today.

I'm not sure who you are referring too, there is no heavyweight champion of MMA nor is there even an undisputed HW champion in the UFC. Do you mean Jon Jones?

I don't think GSP and Jon Jones not being able to compete with today's fighter is much of a thing. The latter wouldn't make that much sense.

I would say picking on heavyweights, especially non-ranked ones, is being highly selective. Tank Abbott wasn't a world beater either.
Cyril Gane what? Jon Jones is the UFC HW champ, regardless of whether people like it or not.

I can use any division. There is no evolution in the sense 99% of people on here think there is. On average, the fighters may be better but the very best from a decade ago are not less skilled fighters than the best of today.

Kamaru Usman and Leon Edwards are not more evolved fighters than GSP

Israel Adesanya, DDP and Alex Pereira are not evolved fighters from Anderson Silva

Mighty Mouse is a more well-rounded fighter than every FLW there's been since he left

The R1 was 1.68 or something, which wasn't that bad considering the match up.

The U2 was . . . 1.24 lol. I don't put many of those sorts of bets on as singles, and when I do, I never lose them. First one in years at those sorts of odds. Last few I had 5u on. One was Dustin/BSD ITD, and Maycee Chiasson to land 1 takedown in r1. At least this time it was only 2u. 5u would have sucked haha.

Since you give decimal odds are you in EU? Curious if so, which EU site do you prefer for mma betting and especially live betting mma

Robelis' hype train during the fight:

15441009.gif

Since you give decimal odds are you in EU? Curious if so, which EU site do you prefer for mma betting and especially live betting mma

Nah, Australia.

I use 365 a lot though, which I'm pretty sure is world wide.

Live betting is shit here in Australia. There's some law that makes it so you have to ring up to place a live bet. It's a pain because you have to read out an account number and then a ref code, and they have to read out some shit and bring up the bet. Sometimes it takes way too long and the live bet spot turns to shit while you're waiting lol.

Dunno if it's every country, but you can live bet just online in some.

Nah, Australia.

I use 365 a lot though, which I'm pretty sure is world wide.

Live betting is shit here in Australia. There's some law that makes it so you have to ring up to place a live bet. It's a pain because you have to read out an account number and then a ref code, and they have to read out some shit and bring up the bet. Sometimes it takes way too long and the live bet spot turns to shit while you're waiting lol.

Dunno if it's every country, but you can live bet just online in some.

LOL, that's nuts. It's tough enough to get the odds you want online before they change or lock it completely nevermind calling up and rattling off a bunch of numbers to some douchebag

Despaigne looks like a world beater on the feet. I actually like his hands down approach to maximum tempt his opponents to stand with him. Clearly he jumped in a little sooner than he should. I think if he built more tools to get back to his feet and better TDD, he actually looked good. Even had good head movement on the ground and tied up his opponent well and didn't get subbed. HW is a very shallow division and he could get a few strikers matchups in a row and be top 5. I'm not ruling this guy out until he gets figured out on the feet.

Despaigne looks like a world beater on the feet. I actually like his hands down approach to maximum tempt his opponents to stand with him. Clearly he jumped in a little sooner than he should. I think if he built more tools to get back to his feet and better TDD, he actually looked good. Even had good head movement on the ground and tied up his opponent well and didn't get subbed. HW is a very shallow division and he could get a few strikers matchups in a row and be top 5. I'm not ruling this guy out until he gets figured out on the feet.
Disagree on the world beater part. He looked better standing than on the ground, that’s for sure

<36>

He’ll be lucky to get someone to stand with him since at least from now on every Parker Porter of the division will just grab a hold of him and take an advantage of his.. Wait, I was going to say ground game, but he doesn’t have a ground game. Guy looked like James Toney after he was taken down. In 2024.

Cyril Gane what? Jon Jones is the UFC HW champ, regardless of whether people like it or not.

I can use any division. There is no evolution in the sense 99% of people on here think there is. On average, the fighters may be better but the very best from a decade ago are not less skilled fighters than the best of today.

Kamaru Usman and Leon Edwards are not more evolved fighters than GSP

Israel Adesanya, DDP and Alex Pereira are not evolved fighters from Anderson Silva

Mighty Mouse is a more well-rounded fighter than every FLW there's been since he left
The GOATs aren't supposed to be easily surpassed. That's why they're GOATs.

No one is better than GSP but hordes are better than Hughes - GSP's biggest rival. That's still huge evolution.

Waldo is a decent HW so this would always be a tough fight for him. But man. He looked shocking. Forget the grappling. His striking was so sloppy. I get the TKD game being loose and low hands but his actual punches were genuinely like something like Planet of the Apes. Just weird slapping hammerfists. Very weird. I'm already done with him as a prospect. He's late 30s no grappling and weird striking.....I genuinely can't name a UFC heavyweight he beats.

LOL, that's nuts. It's tough enough to get the odds you want online before they change or lock it completely nevermind calling up and rattling off a bunch of numbers to some douchebag

It's the worst lol. The reference code part kills me. It might be something like AR7N that you have to say to them. Random every time. But you read it out and they're like "So, was that M for Mary? And then you gotta correct them and all that lol. Meanwhile, the odds you rang up for and just dropping before your eyes haha.

It's the worst lol. The reference code part kills me. It might be something like AR7N that you have to say to them. Random every time. But you read it out and they're like "So, was that M for Mary? And then you gotta correct them and all that lol. Meanwhile, the odds you rang up for and just dropping before your eyes haha.

The more I think of it I'm starting to like the idea of it.

Sure, it's garbage for gambling but man.. it would feel like being back in the 90s early 00s. To make a fucking phone call for something like this, it feels so analogue and I kinda like it. It becomes like a little time machine lmao.

I don't even know if he looked like a world beater on the feet lol.

He'd only fought cans who had no clue how to strike. Even Waldo isn't some great striker, but after Rob's initial big flurries, even he was laughing at Rob's shit tier punches and calling him on.

Rob not getting subbed doesn't say much. If he was fighting someone who is a good grappler and good at subs, which Waldo is not, he'd have been lucky to get out the first round.

I don't even know if he looked like a world beater on the feet lol.

He'd only fought cans who had no clue how to strike. Even Waldo isn't some great striker, but after Rob's initial big flurries, even he was laughing at Rob's shit tier punches and calling him on.

Rob not getting subbed doesn't say much. If he was fighting someone who is a good grappler and good at subs, which Waldo is not, he'd have been lucky to get out the first round.

Yeah, I thought the same - honestly, if I didn't previously know his background I would just think he was bog standard HW brawler. His punches are weird as fuck, like clubbing punches it's so strange to watch.

Yeah, I thought the same - honestly, if I didn't previously know his background I would just think he was bog standard HW brawler. His punches are weird as fuck, like clubbing punches it's so strange to watch.

Well, I mean Rob's a Taekwando guy. I didn't really expect him to have good punching technique.

Honestly, his striking was trash. If Waldo can just sit there covered up against the cage, block everything and laugh about it and egg him on, then it's pretty obvious that Rob's striking is pretty useless unless he's fighting absolute bums.

Goof shitting on Waldo because he implemented the prefect gameplan lol

Back