Put Conor Mcgregor in a top 30 of greatest fighters is a crime to the real fans of the sport

Not a big fan of fightmatrix.
I like their rankings (they're world rankings, are kept up to date, aren't arbitrarily configured, and they have historical rankings dating back to the 90s); I don't mind their all-time rankings for an individual division, but I try not to pay attention to or engage in absolute/p4p rankings (like I have in this thread).

Regardless of the order, the list of fighters on there isn't bad. All those fighters have more or equal championship belts compared to Conor. Plus a lot more wins.
edit: except Eddie Alvarez I guess.
Alvarez has defeated Hansen, Kawajiri, Curran, Chandler, Aoki, Melendez, Gaethje, Pettis, and RDA; that's a pretty impressive resume.

Shit. I forgot Lawler. I think Lawler has equal or better resume to Conor and likely a better skillset. Conor has better striking but Robbie has better takedown defense, a nice butterfly guard, better cardio late in the fight, and actually defended his titles against #1 contenders. Conor would likely lose to people like Hendricks, Jacare, Woodley and RDA. Robbie has more losses but far longer list of tough opponents.

1. Fedor
2. Nogueira
3. Anderson
4. Aldo
5. Hendo
6. Werdum
7. Cormier
8. GSP
9. Jones
10. Edgar
11. Wanderlei
12. Penn
13. Shogun
14. Machida
15. Junior Dos Santos
16. Demetrious
17. Romero
18. Randy Couture
19. Sakuraba
19. Hughes
20. Dillashaw
21. Cruz
22. Cro Cop
23. Josh Barnett
24. Rampage
25. Igor Vovchanchyn
26. Chuck Liddell
27. Jake Shields
28. Tony Ferguson
29. Tyron Woodley
30. Eddie Alvarez
31. RDA
32. Overeem
33. Jacare
34. Bas Rutten
35. Frank Shamrock
36 Takanori Gomi
37. Hayato Sakurai
38. Sergei Kharitonov
39. Vitor Belfort
40. Andrei Arlovski
41. Frank Mir
42. Conor McGregor

I have him at 42. This is based on resume and skillset. Conor has about 6 good wins, which is good, but so do all these guys, and most of these guys are more well rounded than Conor. They also fought a lot more ranked opponents than Conor did.
Log off and uppercut yourself. Brazilians should not be allow to discuss anything Conor related on Sherdog. Who gave y'all internet anyway?

Log off and uppercut yourself. Brazilians should not be allow to discuss anything Conor related on Sherdog. Who gave y'all internet anyway?
Lol. I am not Brazilian.

How many ranked wins does Conor have? All those guys on that list have more. Plus, just about all of them were more well rounded. They all fought a longer list of tough opponents as well. Being top 50 is still a great accomplishment. He is still young and has a chance to move up the list.

You cannot put in the all time greatest list a guy who got humiliated by Nate Diaz the 1st time and almost tkoed the second, winning a very lame UD, showing absolutly none bit of superiority.

I mean, if you are a solid fighter, its your obligation to obliterate Nate like did Rory, RDA or Thomson.

Conor is a good fighter, have really good genius moments, but he proved that he's not well rounded, can't handle pressure, has poor gas tank, hasn't fought some of the very great fighters of our generation besides Aldo and Eddie, perhaps 2 weeks notice Mendes.

Yeah he won two belts, but if you receive easy fights (Nate's fights should have been easy) and a undeserved title shot, eventually you will win.

C'mon, a guy struggles twice against a mid one dimensional who can't throw a single low kick fighter and its put as an all time great?

Its a offense to the true fans of MMA who watched true warriors over the curse of the years.

<DCrying>

Lol. I am not Brazilian.

How many ranked wins does Conor have? All those guys on that list have more. Plus, just about all of them were more well rounded. They all fought a longer list of tough opponents as well. Being top 50 is still a great accomplishment. He is still young and has a chance to move up the list.
Conor blitzed number 4 on your list. You put Jake fucking shields before Conor...Jake Shields...how many UFC belts did he hold? Romero...belts? You put Eddie Alvarez before Conor. The same guy that Conor absolutely put on a clinic against. Gomi...lol. List goes on.

You are correct TS. don’t let the sheep tell you any different.

Conor fans don’t realize mma did start in 2013. It’s beeb around for more than 20 years before they found the sport. Yes, you’ve all been watching since vale tudo days.

When Nate tools Poirier, you'll be singing a different tune.

Conor blitzed number 4 on your list. You put Jake fucking shields before Conor...Jake Shields...how many UFC belts did he hold? Romero...belts? You put Eddie Alvarez before Conor. The same guy that Conor absolutely put on a clinic against. Gomi...lol. List goes on.
Aldo went 10 years undefeated and has far more ranked wins than Conor. He also had a more well rounded game with his TDD and BJJ, along with being the top FW striker for all that time. Sure, Conor beat him but every fighter eventually loses and every champion's reign ends eventually. We are judging by entire careers, not by one fight. Conor hasn't achieved what Aldo did nor shown the same complete skill set like Aldo.

And this isn't Highlander.

McGregor defeating Aldo doesn't make him the FW GOAT.
McGregor going 4-2 against LW's doesn't make his LW resume better than career LW's like Alvarez.

Eddie getting tooled by Conor doesn’t make him greater either

1. Fedor
2. Nogueira
3. Anderson
4. Aldo
5. Hendo
6. Werdum
7. Cormier
8. GSP
9. Jones
10. Edgar
11. Wanderlei
12. Penn
13. Shogun
14. Machida
15. Junior Dos Santos
16. Demetrious
17. Romero
18. Randy Couture
19. Sakuraba
19. Hughes
20. Dillashaw
21. Cruz
22. Cro Cop
23. Josh Barnett
24. Rampage
25. Igor Vovchanchyn
26. Chuck Liddell
27. Jake Shields
28. Tony Ferguson
29. Tyron Woodley
30. Eddie Alvarez
31. RDA
32. Overeem
33. Jacare
34. Bas Rutten
35. Frank Shamrock
36 Takanori Gomi
37. Hayato Sakurai
38. Sergei Kharitonov
39. Vitor Belfort
40. Andrei Arlovski
41. Frank Mir
42. Conor McGregor

I have him at 42. This is based on resume and skillset. Conor has about 6 good wins, which is good, but so do all these guys, and most of these guys are more well rounded than Conor. They also fought a lot more ranked opponents than Conor did.
That’s a good list. Personally, I have him a little higher (right around top 30) on my list but I think a lot of new fans rank Conor in their top 10 or even top 5 simply because they haven’t been a fan of the sport long enough to truly appreciate a lot of the legends on your list. It’s the same with all pro sports, really.

The fighting from 10 years ago looks nothing like it does today. These GOAT lists are fucking stupid. If you put half the fighters from today back in UFC 1, they would actually probably kill someone. Fighters get progressively better, and more athletic as it becomes a more mainstream sport.

Trying to compare fighters from different eras is about as stupid as asking
Who is a better warrior, Achilles, or Chris Kyle the american sniper??
*queue pointless debate that has no relevancy to actual talent, and is based purely on discrediting the other person*

ANDERSON, FEDOR, GSP, SHOGUN, WANDERLEI, HUGHES, ROYCE, GSP, BJ PENN, CHUCK, COUTURE, ORTIZ, ALDO, FABER, CRUZ, DEMETRIUS JOHNSON, JDS, CORMIER, JON JONES, SAKURABA, CROCOP, WERDUM, FRANKLIN, BIG NOG, DAN HENDERSON, TAKANORI GOMI (debatable), LYOTO MACHIDA (debatable), FRANKIE, VITOR BELFORT, RONDA ROUSEY, CRIS CYBORG
(sorry for capslock)

Well, in how many legendary fights Conor have been envolved? 1? 2?
He's good in marketing, and an amazing fighter, but when you look at the history of mma and see in how many legendary and unforgetabble fights those guys were involved, its hard to Put conor in the greatest fighters discussion; Who has he beat besides Aldo and Eddie?
18 year old Max? 2 week notice Mendes?
we can do this all day.
Anderson lost to Daiju Takase who was 5-7 at the time. Ryo Chonan who was 8-4 and Luiz Azeredo who is a 155er.
GSP lost to Matt Serra.
Chuck Liddell lost to Jeremy Horn by inverted arm-triangle choke

Off the top of my head, in no particular order outside divisions, thought up in two minutes. In terms of importance to the sport or dominance.

Stipe, Cain, Brock, Werdum, Fedor, Nog, Randy

Chuck, Rampage, Jones, Shogun, Cormier

Silva, Belfort, Franklin, Wandy, Hendo

GSP, Lawler, Hughes

Penn

Conor, Aldo

Cruz, Urijah

Mouse

Ronda

Royce, Sakuraba, Ken Shamrock

Aldo went 10 years undefeated and has far more ranked wins than Conor. He also had a more well rounded game with his TDD and BJJ, along with being the top FW striker for all that time. Sure, Conor beat him but every fighter eventually loses and every champion's reign ends eventually. We are judging by entire careers, not by one fight. Conor hasn't achieved what Aldo did nor shown the same complete skill set like Aldo.

Why does it matter how many ranked wins you have or how large your fight resume is? If someone hypothetically walked in to the UFC (CM Punk/James Toney etc.) and for their first ufc fight fought Aldo or Holloway and won the FW strap, then moved up and fought Alverez/Kabib for the LW strap and then beat a WW, he would be considered an all time great with 3 total fights.

LMAO your list is shit.

Let me repeat. P4P #1. ONE PUNCH. 13 SECONDS.

Back