News Per Dana White: Tom Aspinall will be the backup for Jones vs Miocic

Unless they man up and strip Jones after he refuses Aspinall, then make Aspinall vs Jalton/Gane/Volkov for the undisputed title.

Would be pretty comical if they chose to cancel an entire event rather than strip Jones
Of course there is an interim champ in play, but they didn't admonish him at all when he refused to fight Chael, they just didn't have an event. I doubt they'd make him fight Aspinall, they'd just come up with a million excuses why he doesn't have to

Last edited:
JJ won't have a choice but to accept, if he pulls out he will never hear the end of it, will taint him and his legacy forever.

has a back up fighter ever had to step in and fight, the answer is no. Tom should refuse it why go through a training camp for nothing. just wait to fight the winner or be crowed the undisputed champ if they retire.

If Stipe pulls out, 309 will be the second number card that just never happens.
Second numbered card that didn't happen because of Jones (maybe) 4th overall.
UFC 151: Jon Jones vs Dan Henderson
UFC 176: Jose Aldo vs Chad Mendes
UFC 233: Henry Cejudo vs TJ Dillashaw

Knowing our luck, Jones will be the one injured and Stipe will refuse to fight Tom. Stipe already made it clear he only wants to fight Jones.
I'd be totally fine with Stipe not fighting Tom.​

Stipe isn't masquerading as Dana's fake AF Gift of Gane HW "champ".

Stipe was a great HW Champion that earned and defended the title with honor.

Pico has zero characteristics of what made Stipe a great & respected HW Champion.

Will Jones fight Tom if Stipe pull outs?

They seem to have a ceremonial 'backup' fighter that wouldn't actually end up fighting anyone.

That makes a lot of sense for Dana to do if you think about it- ceremonial backups are along the lines of BMF champs- something completely farcical just for some showbiz points.

Second numbered card that didn't happen because of Jones (maybe) 4th overall.
UFC 151: Jon Jones vs Dan Henderson
UFC 176: Jose Aldo vs Chad Mendes
UFC 233: Henry Cejudo vs TJ Dillashaw
Damn, I never even realized the other two didn't happen. Or maybe I did, and I'm just old. I appreciate that, bud

I just want this Jones saga to come to an end, honestly. I don't even care if he and Stipe fight.

The UFC is wasting precious years from Tom's career. One of the most exciting fighters we have seen in years, someone who should have a few defenses under his belt and who has a legitimate chance to become HW GOAT and who knows, maybe more, and we are here wasting his time, strapping an interim belt on him.

Jon, please retire, win or lose. Let Tom start his championship career.

Does this mean that Jones/Stipe are contractually obligated to fight Tom in case of an injury?
If someone asked Dana White about Aspinall being "the backup", then that should had been the next question.

Another follow up question is if they would strip Jones and make Stipe vs Aspinall for the Undisputed title, considering its the 2nd pull out and its been a while since Jones won the title and 0 defenses.

What would Aspinal ask in exchange of being the Backup?

If they both pull out, which is practically guaranteed they need to have a replacement fight setup. Dana should immediately strip Jon and by default Tom would become the champ and the replacement bout would be for the unified belt.

Not a single circumstance Jon will fight Aspinall. Having him as a back up is useless.

Just incase, let's start a go fund me to pay stipe to drop out and hope for the best.
disagree. the right amount of money will make jon fight. jon’s behavior and statements are textbook leveraging his position for more money. dana knows it too. the only question is whether it’s worth it to the ufc. it probably will be since he is at the moment likely ufc’s biggest ppv star.

Back