• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

RBR ***Official*** Sherdog Sanctioned Fury vs Usyk Discussion 5/18 1PM ET DAZN PPV / ESPN+

It's right to give a count when the only thing holding him up are the ropes. Either he counts or he stops it then and there, you can't let it go on when Fury is crumpled into the ring post.

I dont agree- take a knee or continue to get punished

usyk stood toe to toe with him too as the smaller guy. rarely took a step back, always moving forward. excellent game plan.

such a craftsman with extreme timing abillity.

I wouldn't usually respond to posts of this low calibre but they just illustrate the point I made earlier.

People dislike Fury because:

He's White.
He's British (yes I know he is an Irish Traveller by descent).
He's modern.

People just love Black American boxers from many decades ago. And it's not just Black Americans in their 60s who prefer them, I've known young White Brits who are like this. There's a massive bias in boxing fandom for some reason. There's something analoguous with the Pride-era HWs in MMA. People don't give the former Soviet HW boxers the credit they deserve either.

Apparently the oldest world athletic record standing is from 1983 (Jarmila Kratochvilova, women's 800 metres). The reality is that sport moves on, and I don't know if people are still getting bigger and healthier but they were until recently. [Edit: The population is growing too.] Unless it's a sport which is dying out, the standard rises over time. The best of the 60s and 70s would be out of their depth against the best of the 20s. People talk about the era being weaker now but the standard of the sport as a whole has probably never been higher. Unless you argue that the factor of people going into MMA instead of boxing is stronger than the improvement over time? But if so that's very recent too.

You can get as misty-eyed as you want about the past and find rationalisations to minimise the achievements of non-Black, non-American fighters, but the reality is Black, American HWs haven't dominated for a while, and Fury is not only huge, he is a brilliant boxer and absolutely in the best ever conversation. Check out the turning point around 2004, or earlier maybe, and face up to reality.

999.png

Not reality: I looked up the first result for 'Top 10 HW boxers ever' and here are their birth years:

Rocky Marciano: 1923
Tyson Fury: 1988
Joe Louis: 1914
George Foreman: 1949
Joe Frazier: 1944

Larry Holmes: 1949
Mike Tyson: 1966
Evander Holyfield: 1962
Lennox Lewis: 1965
Muhammad Ali: 1942

<Dany07>

Fighters born 80+ years ago (if time travelled forward in their prime) would get smashed in today's world. Rocky Marciano weighed about 186lbs lol.
1716077427921.png

I had it 4-4 going into the 9th. The most I can see anyone giving Fury is 5-3 after 8. Nothing comfortable about it.

I had it 6-2 fury.

Joshua was losing badly in both fights. I think Usyk came on with heart I think fury got too cocky. Rematch I think I favor fury. The reach gave him too many issues. I’ve never seen Usyk have that kind of problem before. He looked demoralized in there

I think everyone should have known Usyk could hurt Fury, a bunch of people have hurt Fury. Only maybe it will affect Fury in the rematch as he won't be so proud about going down taking a count to recover when he's obviously rocked instead of letting Usyk swarm him.

They were saying October but that seems a fast turnaround. Looking forward to the next one, whenever it is!

I had it 6-2 fury.

Joshua was losing badly in both fights. I think Usyk came on with heart I think fury got too cocky. Rematch I think I favor fury. The reach gave him too many issues. I’ve never seen Usyk have that kind of problem before. He looked demoralized in there
The reach did give him issues but he was still able to go to the body and score when he couldn't reach Fury's head. Fury lost cleanly.

I think everyone should have known Usyk could hurt Fury, a bunch of people have hurt Fury. Only maybe it will affect Fury in the rematch as he won't be so proud about going down taking a count to recover when he's obviously rocked instead of letting Usyk swarm him.

I doubt there will be a rematch. Usyk likely to retire.

I had it 6-2 fury.

decision could have gone either way. That was the toughest fight I've ever seen Usyk in for sure

The reach did give him issues but he was still able to go to the body and score when he couldn't reach Fury's head. Fury lost cleanly.

I love Usyk and I know you hate fury but it wasn’t clean hence the split.

You’re biased and you know it.

I’ve never seen Usyk lose rounds like that before either. I think Tyson has slowed down a lot tho to be fair. His movement and speed aren’t what they were from 4-5 years ago

watching the 9th round back i am legitimately surprised the ref didnt stop that. Fury was in really deep trouble.
Usyk might be able to take advantage of that in the rematch

I had it 6-2 fury.

It depends. If Trump is President again, the war in Ukraine will have been stopped and Usyk will lose motivation, so Fury by KO. If we get another round of Sleepy Joe or some other democRAT, the war will continue and Usyk will continue to fight like hell.

I want Fury to win, so MAGA!

I love Usyk and I know you hate fury but it wasn’t clean hence the split.

You’re biased and you know it.

I’ve never seen Usyk lose rounds like that before either. I think Tyson has slowed down a lot tho to be fair. His movement and speed aren’t what they were from 4-5 years ago
I'm biased? Usyk won the fight fair and square. There was nothing controversial about it. Usyk vs Joshua II was also scored a Split Decision and nobody agreed with that. Realistically it should've been a Usyk UD.

He did but now he knows he can beat him.

So he will have less doubt next time. The momentum is all Usyk's now.

I mean legit didn’t know who they would give the victory to, I think he knows he can hurt Tyson that’s about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
romanych
Back