• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Now that I have seen it...they got the right actor!

Different performances. I think Nicholson matched it in his own way.

It's like comparing blowjobs to Steak though.

Why not have both? :p

good point
at the same time?

In Tango and Cash, Stallone was initially cast as Gabriel Cash and Kurt Russell as Raymond Tango. They ended up switching roles, thankfully. It would have been an entirely different movie.

Stallone always wanted to be the smooth, suave guy
that film is GOAT buddy cop film

Clint and Jack Nicholson considered doing Big Trouble in Little China but were busy. It was originally going to be set in the old west.

Nicholson as Jack Burton would be awesome. And the movie being set in the old west also would've been cool.

Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry.

John Wayne, Frank Sinatra, Burt Lancaster, Robert Mitchum, Steve McQueen, and Paul Newman were all approached for the role before they gave it to Clint Eastwood.

George Lucas wanted to cast Tom Selleck to play Indiana Jones. Spielberg wanted and went with Harrison Ford.

tom-selleck-indiana-jones.jpeg

Selleck looks like a Burt wannabe.

People were shitting all over Heath Ledger being cast as Joker and look what happened...I always keep an open mind now when it comes to these things

Some people were also up in arms over Craig as the newest Bond (there were even web pages with petitions trying to get the decision reversed).

Having seen Layer Cake, I knew he could pull it off, and I'm glad they went with him.

*edit- it's often hard to imagine someone else doing a role that has been done well, so I suspect this thread will be mostly 'they made the right decision' threads.

Major difference being no internet when Keaton landed the Batman role.

Yeah I remember a lot of backlash against Keaton being cast- including from me. I went into a comic store where there was a petition (I'm assuming they knew it was futile). I think most fans of the comic were against it.

Al Pacino turned down the role of Han Solo in Star Wars

627.jpg

This picture really is something.

I wanted to see Will Smith as Django. I think it would have made up for WILD WILD WEST. And his balls were in that one so what's the big deal, fresh prince? Omar would have been cool. I love the move and Jamie Foxx was fine, but this role could have worked better with other dudes.

They originally wanted Ronald Reagan in Casablanca thank fuck that fell through.

Speaking of John Travolta.. he was right for Pulp Fiction at the time of making it when he was bit of a down-and-out actor with his best years far behind him... if he maintained his success leading up to Pulp Fiction I imagine he would have played Vincent Vega super cool with an overconfidence and surety about himself but the Travolta who got that part at the time wasn't so confident as an actor I think his performance reflected it. At the time it was weird to see him as a gangster in black but he fucking nailed that part to the wall. Right actor at the right time.

I think foxx wasnt that good as django. they should have gotten a lesser known but as good guy. He did alright, but the movie called "django unchained" django was the most boring part to watch

I would have liked to see Chiwetel Ejiofor as Django, though I thought Foxx was excellent.

I've said this before in other threads but I really feel that casting Keanu as John Constantine was a mistake. Jude Law should have been Constantine.

Also, in the movie Alien the role of Ripley was supposed to be a male (I don't know if they went as far as to hone in on a particular actor) but casting Sigourney Weaver was the right choice.

Major difference being no internet when Keaton landed the Batman role.

What does this have to do with my point about there not being as big of a backlash? Whatever the reason is/was, my point is that the backlash wasn't as big, and it wasn't. Doesn't mean that there wasn't any backlash at all about it.

I was around back then, saw the movie in question in theaters, and there wasn't the same backlash.

Speaking of John Travolta.. he was right for Pulp Fiction at the time of making it when he was bit of a down-and-out actor with his best years far behind him... if he maintained his success leading up to Pulp Fiction I imagine he would have played Vincent Vega super cool with an overconfidence and surety about himself but the Travolta who got that part at the time wasn't so confident as an actor I think his performance reflected it. At the time it was weird to see him as a gangster in black but he fucking nailed that part to the wall. Right actor at the right time.

Michael Madsen turned down that role. I think he would've done a good job, but you're right. Travolta nailed it.

Mads Mikkelsen as Hannibal Lecter. At first I was like "noo, fuck no". I know Mikkelsen is an excellent actor, but danes trying to speak english will always come with an accent (that doesn't sound sophisticated), the only exception being Waldau in GOT. But I just watched season 1, and I can say that it was the correct choice. Also having learned that Lecter originated from Lithuania, it makes sense to make him have an accent. Very different from Hopkins, but still very believable as Lecter.

Hoffman was nearly Rick Deckard in Blade Runner as well.

Speaking of Hoffman, for the Graduate , they originally wanted Robert Redford, Redford is fantastic actor but I don't think he could pull off the underdog feel of Benjamin Braddock. It was a case of Hoffman being the perfect choice for that role.

I don't remember as much backlash about that as Ledger playing the Joker in all honesty. Doubly true when you consider there was no other Batman movie to Judge Jack and Keaton by before they did it.

There was a big standard for the Joker by time Heath came along. Now the role of the Joker is that much more revered because of Jack and Heaths versions.

There were around 50,000 angry letters from the comic book community that were sent to Warner Bros studios protesting the casting of Keaton to play Batman. Especially since Keaton had played Mr. Mom and Night Shift, both which are comedies.

Many were worried it was going to be a movie of the 60's Batman series, which many disapproved. It wasn't a standard as the Joker played by Nicholson for Ledger, but they wanted the Dark Knight and were afraid of getting the revival of Adam West's Batman.

Halle Berry was offered the Annie Porter role in Speed, but turned it down. I think Sandra Bullock was perfect for the role, though and nailed it. It's funny because Berry has complained about the lack of good roles for black women in Hollywood, but she's reportedly turned down a lot of good roles and has appeared in some questionable roles too. Kind of makes you wonder if the issue is that there aren't good roles, or if the issue is that you don't know how to pick them. :wink:

I think foxx wasnt that good as django. they should have gotten a lesser known but as good guy. He did alright, but the movie called "django unchained" django was the most boring part to watch

Michael K Williams was originally cast, I believe.
I have heard he was was too busy with Boardwalk Empire, but have also heard the production company wanted a bigger name.

chalky-white.jpg

Back