Now that I have seen it...they got the right actor!

RemoWilliams1a**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Now that I have seen it, I will say I think they casted the right actor.

OR

Now that I have seen it, I think the other actor would have been the better choice.

There are many movie or tv roles rumoured to have been offered or up for grabs for other actors.

An example is that John Travolta has said he turned down the role in Forrest Gump which then went to Tom Hanks.

Now that I have seen that movie I can say I think they casted the right guy as I do not think Travolta would have been right for the role.

Another is Will Smith who apparently could have had the role in the Matrix over Keanu Reeves. Not that I have seen it, I think Keanu (despite his general acting limitations) was perfectly type cast for the role and owned it.

Name movies where you think they got it right and name the key other(s) who turned down the roles or who were strongly rumoured that you think would not have fit the role as good.

Or conversely name the movies where they got it wrong and where you think the other actor rumoured or who turned it down would have been better.

Arnold Schwarzenegger as the terminator vs lance Hendrickson and oj Simpson.

they wanted

robert redford
james caan
burt reynolds

for the the role of Rocky. Stallone was perfect.

They wanted Burt Reynolds to play Michael Corleone. I don't think that would've worked.

Also, Dustin Hoffman as Rambo would've been a bad idea.

He was considered for the role.

I would've liked to see Molly Ringwald cast in Pretty Woman. She turned down the role.

Always liked her, and would've liked to see her as a more popular actress.

Kind of like Elizabeth Shue.

George Lucas wanted to cast Tom Selleck to play Indiana Jones. Spielberg wanted and went with Harrison Ford.

tom-selleck-indiana-jones.jpeg

Last edited:
People were shitting all over Heath Ledger being cast as Joker and look what happened...I always keep an open mind now when it comes to these things

they wanted

robert redford
james caan
burt reynolds

for the the role of Rocky. Stallone was perfect.

From what I've heard and don't swear me to this... That since Stallone wrote Rocky, he said that he had to play the role or it was no-go.

Will Smith also turned down the role of Neo in The Matrix. I think that if he were still alive, it would've been a perfect for Brandon Lee.

Hoffman was nearly Rick Deckard in Blade Runner as well.

I did not know that. That could've been interesting actually.

I think Harrison Ford nailed it, but I could see Hoffman in that role, just as long as he's not being funny.

They wanted Charles Bronson for nearly every role that Clint Eastwood made his career with.

From what I've heard and don't swear me to this... That since Stallone wrote Rocky, he said that he had to play the role or it was no-go.

True from what I've read.

http://www.nndb.com/people/761/000023692/

He wrote the screenplay for the modestly successful The Lords of Flatbush and had a featured role in the film, but was overshadowed by Henry Winkler. Stallone began getting more work in small film roles, but had his greatest success with Rocky in 1976. He wrote the script, and was shrewd enough to sell it with the stipulation that he star as the film's small-time boxer making the big time. Stallone was nominated for two Oscars, for Best Actor and Best Screenplay. He won neither, but Rocky won as Best Picture. Frank Capra said, "I think it's the best picture in the last ten years." He then starred in several Rocky sequels that did well at the box office, and a few that didn't, between other action movies that drew lukewarm audience response

Will smith turned down the role of django in django unchained. I think foxx was way better than smith could've been but you never know.

Nicolas Cage in The Wrestler. That would have been such a travesty. He would have been terrible and Mickey Rourke absolutely owned that performance.

I believe Tom Cruise turned down Enemy of the State, and I think Will brought a fun chemistry with Gene Hackman that may not have been there with Cruise, but who knows.

Nicolas Cage in The Wrestler. That would have been such a travesty. He would have been terrible and Mickey Rourke absolutely owned that performance.

That's one of my favorite performances in cinema. I think it's one of the top ten male performances in history, period.

The role of Axel Foley in Beverly Hills Cop was first offered to Mickey Rourke and then to Sylvester Stallone.

Back