MMA is a D-Level Sport

so they can suck at the olympics and dominate MMA. also a guy with less than 5 years training MMA can beat the best fighter in the world (MM). still a long way to go until this sport is remotely respectable

Then why watch it? Are you really so desperate for attention that you sit around watching a bunch of athletes who you think suck just so you can get on an internet forum and say so?

so they can suck at the olympics and dominate MMA. also a guy with less than 5 years training MMA can beat the best fighter in the world (MM). still a long way to go until this sport is remotely respectable

Why do you have an account on this website if this is your narrative?

If you're going to look at combined records, then you have to look at DC's overall record in world and olympic competition. It's like 10-6 or something. Respectable but not great.

I see you, but TS is talking about performance at 2008 Olympics. Just pointing out that his data shows a different story re. UFC title fights. If we include Mocco and Askren, those four went 7-3 at 2008 Olympics and went 6-2 (1) in UFC title fights. So by TS's analogy, competition level at the 2008 Olympics is roughly comparable to competition level of UFC title fights.

You'll get no argument from me that international level wrestling is fucking leaps and bounds more competitive than MMA as a sport.

But a lot of people don't appreciate how insanely good the average UFC fighter is. Joe 6-pack who gets cut after going 1-2 in the UFC is still a monster. And there's a big gap between that guy and the champ.

Not saying being a UFC champ is harder than being an Olympic champ (only a numbskull would believe that). But becoming a UFC Champ might be comparable to qualifying for (not winning) the Olympics in some sports.

This argument would be somewhat valid if wrestling wasn't the most important aspect of MMA.

This is some B level trolling.

This argument would be somewhat valid if wrestling wasn't the most important aspect of MMA.
I think that makes it MORE valid.

It's illuminating that DC and Cejudo (despite Olympic wrestling credentials ) LOST so convincingly to Bones and Mighty Mouse, neither of which had international wrestling experience. MM only has a High School wrestling pedigree.

The problem with MMA is a win or loss is largely based on fluke.
Look at TJ vs Cody. TJ nearly loses but saved by the bell. Second fight Cody loses 'clean'.
Throw the same two guys and you get basically a random result each time. You cant compare to olympic sports. If one guy wins at javelin its because he can just throw better than the other guy and that will always be the case.

it's true - so many stories of guys like feijao who only do MMA for weight loss and end up becoming champs in a few years

mma fake sport worse than WWE

You f'n tell em @Toco , u da fkng man

I think that makes it MORE valid.

It's illuminating that DC and Cejudo (despite Olympic wrestling credentials ) LOST so convincingly to Bones and Mighty Mouse, neither of which had any international wrestling experience. MM only has a High School wrestling pedigree.
I see what you're saying but you're also cherrypicking a couple perfect fights to fit your narrative. The bigger picture is that both DC and Cejduo have experienced tremendous success, largely due to their wrestling. No other background affords you better ability to dictate the terms of a fight.

You have to also take into consideration that they have access to several of the best mma gyms in the usa.

The flaw in that tweet is he's comparing just the Olympic record with (essentially) three fighters' entire MMA records.

Cormier
218-15
https://www.teamusa.org/usa-wrestling/athletes/daniel-cormier
https://mmajunkie.com/2009/08/u-s-olympic-team-captain-daniel-cormier-announces-move-to-mma

Askren
153-8
https://mutigers.com/hof.aspx?hof=184

Cejudo
150-0 (excluding collegiate record; couldn't find it)
https://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/20/sports/olympics/20cejudo.html

521-23 (95.77% win rate)

Factor in that Cormier and Cejudo are competing in the (relatively) weakest divisions in the UFC, and Askren has only ever fought in B/C-level MMA organizations, and this sweeping generalization about MMA being a D-level sport becomes laughably bogus.

Great wrestlers transitioned into a sport that just so happened to have a set of rules that disproportionately favors their skill set.

I see what you're saying but you're also cherrypicking a couple perfect fights to fit your narrative. The bigger picture is that both DC and Cejduo have experienced tremendous success, largely due to their wrestling. No other background affords you better ability to dictate the terms of a fight.
Agree 100%

But I'm not cherrypicking anything - I'm just responding to TS' troll analogy about 2008 Olympic wrestling vs. MMA.

As a scrub former wrestler, I think it's the hardest sport to train and be competitive in bar none. But I also think it's almost a required skill for UFC level fighters regardless of their actual sport wrestling experience. GSP and Whittaker are prime examples of this.

is that if you can come from an A-Level sport you can easily dominate MMA. just like brock lesnar did and greg hardy will do too. even failed NFL rejects like mitrione and schaub did well in MMA, mitrione even KO'ed the HW GOAT

What if Mitrione and Schaub were just more talented fighters than footballers? How can you know that is not the case? And neither were never a legit top10 HW anyway.

make knees to the head on the ground legal and watch wrestlers start getting KO'd left and right like PRIDE days

stalling positions in american MMA often aren't stalling positions IRL because if you sprawl on a guy his skull is getting caved
Wouldnt knees on the ground help wrestlers? They can finish you more easily when they get you to the ground.

is that if you can come from an A-Level sport you can easily dominate MMA. just like brock lesnar did and greg hardy will do too. even failed NFL rejects like mitrione and schaub did well in MMA, mitrione even KO'ed the HW GOAT
You're probably trolling, but Brock Lesnar got destroyed by your so called D level athletes. And Mitrione is very mediocre and Shaub was below average. What the hell are you talking about?

Thats their record in MMA? Whoever posted that does he think that MMAis UFC? Also mma stands for mixed martial arts. One of those being wrestling which is one of the stronger bases therefore if you are great at it that means youll probably do well in mma aka mixed martial arts. Sort of ashamed of any sherdoggers responding to it like it wasnt a dumb fuck who posted that.

Back