How long does it really take an elite striker to train to crossover and dominate the sport of MMA?

Depends entirely on the fighter, obviously. Some people pick it up very quickly, some people never adapt well at all.

Claressa Shields for example is arguably the best female boxer in the world but despite the fact she's been training MMA for a few years now she still barely scrapes by absolute cans.

Shields is a slap puncher with an amateur style, doesn’t translate to MMA well.

Other styles would.

1 training camp

they wouldn't be the best at it, but they can work that out while they build their resume and fight favorable fights.

the alex perriera route

MAO yeah sure noob, you would've missed me that first decade I was posting before you knew what MMA was.
I don't give a shit about your join date. You are a casual of the lowest order.

You need to work your way up. The issue with the boxer crossover is that they are pushed on to a main event quickly due to their pay. They aren't going to have a chance to get good. Even guys like Crocop and Alex had chances to work on their craft. They started from a lower level and worked their way up.

Depends entirely on the fighter. You’re better having a Canelo boxing skillset than a Mayweather boxing skillset, despite the latter being the better boxer.

Hunger is the biggest determining factor. Elite boxers coming to MMA isn’t happening anytime soon because of the financial disparity, so you’re left with ancient dudes who are simply there to pick up a pay cheque and go home, without suffering much damage, or the slightest dent in their pride.

Kick-boxers are a better example, because they’ll have the opportunity to make more money in MMA, so will switch over at a younger age, take the sport seriously, with the aim of actually making an impact.

There’s no correct answer basically, but if you’re an elite striker then it’s a relatively easy transition.

1 training camp

they wouldn't be the best at it, but they can work that out while they build their resume and fight favorable fights.

the alex perriera route
With favourable match making perhaps you could jump in there after that brief a time but the issue is in MMA you can be taken totally out of your dimension so why rush in so soon? For example even if you were a top striker and they matched you with a low level brawler, if he started getting pieced up on the feet he could just do a hail Mary shoot to turn it into a ground and pound brawl so it would be worth it to spend at least a few months drilling takedown defence.

I don't give a shit about your join date. You are a casual
Well this is kind of true now yes, I only watch the big fights these days but I was a hardcore when it mattered, when it was an underground sport that few knew about. Nowadays,everyone and their dog (ie you) is watching MMA so being a 'casual' has little meaning.

Stipe, Gonzaga, Carwin. Aside from Cain those are the only 3 guys to ever take JDS down and they each got 1 takedown. JDS was able to box up almost everyone cause he didn’t have to worry about take down threats and he was a better boxer than everyone else at the time. He was also very good at checking and getting out of the way of kicks. Then he ran into Cain who beat the shit out him in the 2nd and 3rd fights cause he’s not one dimensional like the rest of his opponents. JDS fell in love with his hands and his title reign was short lived. 1 defense.

Rampage was also great at avoiding takedowns and he had better hands than most so he took advantage of that. It didn’t take him very far though at least not as far as I think it should’ve. Considering his chin, striking, tdd, wrestling etc there’s no reason why his title reign shouldn’t have been longer…. until Jones came along at least. He literally defended the belt once and lost it to Forrest Griffin out of all fighters. Why? He fell in love with his hands after knocking down Griffin but he decided to eat a shit ton of leg kicks that hurt him and slowed him down. How you gonna be Rampage and get out stuck by FG?

Only other time Rampage got a title shot… this was the beginning of the end.

View attachment 1034287

View attachment 1034286
Rampage reign wouldve been way longer, he was gearing to be the knew superstar of the division after KOing Chuck, getting the A-Team role but with Jones in the picture he was never going to be regaining the title.
Cant fault Rampage for losing that but yes the kicks made a difference including those obliques kicks which should be illegal.
Him losing to Forest was sad though, he never lived it down especially as Forest was an ex police officer but Forest also has a win over Shogun so he cant be underrated looking back. I think Rampage underestimated him more than anything, he even said he never thought Forest could hang with him.

I just don't think that having a big kicking game is a necessity for MMA striking, more than knowing how to deal with and defend them which is much easier to learn. Another who seldom uses kicks aside from an occasional front thrust/teep and also just avoids taking them rather than checking is Strickland.

Whatever man. Some of these guys aint never going to do it no matter how good they are at striking,they will never adjust to being able to stay on their feet,defend with small gloves,or be able to chain the different disciplines together when it really matters.

Whatever man. Some of these guys aint never going to do it no matter how good they are at striking,they will never adjust to being able to stay on their feet,defend with small gloves,or be able to chain the different disciplines together when it really matters.
Would agree with most of those comments apart from the 'defend with the small gloves'. Its an adjustment period yes but their motor skills and coordination for striking is generally going to be way better and more refined...once they have adapated they will be far better with striking and defending with the small gloves. You can see what happened when Pulev obliterated Mir with the smalll gloves, and he hadnt even ever fought using them before but the accuracy he had was a different level.

Shields is one of the best if not the best example why a good team is needed and why the athlete shouldnt have a negative IQ.

ONE OF THE BIGGEST differences between ball sports and combat sports is the professionalism of the teams behind the athletes.

Its like day and night.

However long it takes to get good TDD. I remember when Phil Davis trained Gus's wrestling up after beating him it took about 3 years to get him to where he was in the Jones fight. So in my head the answer is 3 years.

Completely depends on who he will face in MMA and how much preferential treatment he would get with match making.

However long it takes to get good TDD. I remember when Phil Davis trained Gus's wrestling up after beating him it took about 3 years to get him to where he was in the Jones fight. So in my head the answer is 3 years.

Gus TDs had a lot more to do with the footwork and making the right use of different angles aka boxing and thats why Floyd/Loma would dominate MMA with absolute ez.

Wrestling is a sport for pussys with with an lemme put my fist in your ass complex, lmaooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

But Gus already had 4 years of grappling experience by that point, so it's more like 7 years. He was also 23 when he lost to Phil, not 34 like Joshua. It's easier to pick stuff up the younger you are.

Gus TDs had a lot more to do with the footwork and making the right use of different angles aka boxing and thats why Floyd/Loma would dominate MMA with absolute ez.

Wrestling is a sport for pussys with with an lemme put my fist in your ass complex, lmaooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Aren't you the guy who thinks 57 year old Mike Tyson beats 37 year old Mike Tyson?

Back