MMA is a D-Level Sport

You can't compare entire careers to the highest conceivable level of competition. You'd have to look at every wrestling match that every member of that team has ever had for that to be an accurate baseline.

You paid for your sherdog account so that you can troll without being banned. You’re honestly pathetic. Ignored you fat dork
how is he trolling when he's simply stating stats? Is it not illuminating that American wrestlers have a much higher success rate against MMA fighters than they do against international Olympic wrestlers?

No man, I'm saying there are regular dudes who get into MMA and fight nobody but guys with losing records. Those would be your D-level Athletes, but at the end of the day they're still having fun. Guys like DC, Randy, Hunt etc...are A-level, they didn't fight a bunch of cans.
Makes sense. I did SO enjoy Dan "the beast" Severn beating the living snot out of a hundred of these type fighters that you mentioned after 40 years old! A little serious skill goes a long way in MMA even today!

To be fair, if Lesnar beats Cormier then I'm gunna campaign to have this thread stickied

The integrity of the sport is at stake here

Makes sense. I did SO enjoy Dan "the beast" Severn beating the living snot out of a hundred of these type fighters that you mentioned after 40 years old! A little serious skill goes a long way in MMA even today!

I love Dan Severn... He could fight at 60 and I'd still watch...

so they can suck at the olympics and dominate MMA. also a guy with less than 5 years training MMA can beat the best fighter in the world (MM). still a long way to go until this sport is remotely respectable

The only time I remember a guy with a big Olympic background fighting an MMA guy was when gold medal winner Kevin Jackson got subbed by Frank Shamrock in no time flat.

Those stats don't mean much, especially since they weren't at high level MMA.

Anyone can fight MMA and if you have incredible discipline, you're probably going to be able to beat a bunch of people.

I think your stance is to try and undermine MMA as amateurish but it's definitely one of the hardest and dangerous sports in the world.

At the Affliction show, there was an NFL player who got KO'd by a comedian that had 2 MMA fights.

Last edited:

so they can suck at the olympics and dominate MMA. also a guy with less than 5 years training MMA can beat the best fighter in the world (MM). still a long way to go until this sport is remotely respectable

MMA is D level says the guy who has posted on this MMA board 21 times per day for the last 4.5 years.
So...you have basically posted every hour on the hour "non stop" for 4.5 years.
God, I squirm thinking about what you really look like. Im fairly certain you would register as morbidly obese on a BMI scale. More importantly, morbidly obese with the eye test.

This is flawed though because wrestling is a martial art and it's the most dominant one for MMA.

Cejudo - wrestler, TJ - wrestler, Max - striker, Khabib - judo, Woodley - wrestler, Whittaker - striker, DC - wrestler....

The majority of the champs in the UFC have wrestling as their base.

If you had a plethora of baseball players entering the UFC and being dominant, this point would mean more.
they would also be pretty dominant, make no mistake about it, we are full of D-Level atlhetes in this sport. it doesn't mean that it's not enjoyable, but the facts are there. basketball players would just take the HW division by storm

Grab an bucket of ice cream and sleep the day off. You probably don’t have much else to do otherwise.

you said you would ignore me
HA4USjO.png

Think about what you just said, little kid....

one day your mind will be open like mine was

Just stop watching MMA then.

Who the fuck cares about levels, Tyron Woodley is a beast and is defending his title. I doubt any Gold medalist would have a chance against him.

Fuck off
its because WW doesn't have an A level athlete in the division. look at 40 year old romero tearing the MW division apart. only a shady judge's decision stopped him. him in his 20s would completely dominate the MW division. that's what an A level athlete does in MMA. and he wasn't even gold medalist! cejudo in just 5 years took the best fighter in the world to school. I wouldn't be surprised if he would just KO him in the first round with more 6 months of training

You are a D-level poster.

I speak only facts, my friend

It is already respectable

I mean, it's getting better

Not sure I see the logic of that, what does the rest of the US team doing badly in 2008 say about Cejudo? nothing negative I can see given he won gold.

yes, everyone sucked while he conquered the world. and that's why you see him with no more than 5 years in the sport already taking to school the best fighter in the history of the sport. with more 6 months of training I see him KTFO MM in a rubber match

No man, I'm saying there are regular dudes who get into MMA and fight nobody but guys with losing records. Those would be your D-level Athletes, but at the end of the day they're still having fun. Guys like DC, Randy, Hunt etc...are A-level, they didn't fight a bunch of cans.
Even the UFC (supposedly the highest level of mma) has mediocre athletes. Take for example Donald Cerrone who is a perrenial top 10 contender in the two most stacked divisions. He has accomplished a lot in this sport with his limited gifts, due to hard work and toughness. But if he had pursued a career in a much deeper talent pool like boxing or wrestling, he would be washed out before he left the local circuit. And no, his regional "kickboxing" championships dont count. Those guys are a dime a dozen and get utterly destroyed if they compete in Thailand.

Lol. I wish I could see the fat p.o.s that types this into the internet.

I want to know the standard this guy holds himself too.
Dude, hes posted an average of 21 times a day for the last 4.5 years. Thats every hour on the hour for 4.5 years. Im sure he is even more slovenly than we could imagine

Olympic wrestlers >> general MMA competitor pool = TRUE
Olympic wrestlers >> UFC Champions = FALSE

2008 U.S. Olympic wresters who fought MMA:
Daniel Cormier: 0-0 record at 2008 Olympics
Ben Askren: 1-1 record at 2008 Olympics
Henry Cejudo: 4-0 record at 2008 Olympics
Steve Mocco: 2-2 record at 2008 Olympics

DC and Cejudo are only ones who have fought in UFC (highest level of MMA). Their combined 2008 Olympic record was 4-0. Their combined UFC record is 17-3. Their combined UFC title fight record is 6-2 (1).

So assuming this data represented a large enough sample size (it does not), conclusion:

UFC champion > Olympic wrestling

Last edited:
That's mostly because of how overvalued the TDs are in MMA, taking an opponent down and keeping him there for a minute is pretty much eliminates what the other fighter did for 4 minutes in the eyes of most judges.

Exactly.
That’s really all it is.

they would also be pretty dominant, make no mistake about it, we are full of D-Level atlhetes in this sport. it doesn't mean that it's not enjoyable, but the facts are there. basketball players would just take the HW division by storm

you said you would ignore me
HA4USjO.png

one day your mind will be open like mine was

its because WW doesn't have an A level athlete in the division. look at 40 year old romero tearing the MW division apart. only a shady judge's decision stopped him. him in his 20s would completely dominate the MW division. that's what an A level athlete does in MMA. and he wasn't even gold medalist! cejudo in just 5 years took the best fighter in the world to school. I wouldn't be surprised if he would just KO him in the first round with more 6 months of training

I speak only facts, my friend

I mean, it's getting better

yes, everyone sucked while he conquered the world. and that's why you see him with no more than 5 years in the sport already taking to school the best fighter in the history of the sport. with more 6 months of training I see him KTFO MM in a rubber match

I'd love to see how good LJ would do in MMA. I think he gets punched in the face once and goes back to basketball where he can flop from a gust of wind.

[QUOTE="Toco, post: 143596507, member: 449747]

cejudo in just 5 years took the best fighter in the world to school. [/QUOTE]

A split decision win is taking somebody to school?

Their combined 2008 Olympic record was 4-0. Their combined UFC record is 17-3. Their combined UFC title fight record is 6-2 (1).

If you're going to look at combined records, then you have to look at DC's overall record in world and olympic competition. It's like 10-6 or something. Respectable but not great.

buddy it's not my problem if this is a D-Level sport. amateurs that struggled in the olympics can just completely dominate the sport. it just tells you enough
Didnt cejudo win gold? Who else dominated in mma at a high level lol. Being an Olympian heading into your pro debut your gonna have more credentials than your opponents.... but your a troll that rates athleticism by letters so dunno why i responded

While MMA is a D-Level sport this is more because to reach the Olympics in the first place you have to be the best in your country. So you're taking someone that's the best or at least top 3 in their weightclass and then competing on an international stage in the Olympics against others that are of equal or near equal skill level.

Then you take someone that was amongst the best in the world at their sport, and they're now competing against people that aren't even in the top 20 in most cases in MMA which is a lower level sport to begin with with less skilled competitors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back