Media Merab Dvalishvili: 'Umar Nurmagomedov doesn't deserve to fight Cory Sandhagen!'

Merab is just embarassing himself at this point. Idk why he can't just chill and concentrate on his own path.

Umar is on an explosive, dominant path to the top. If anything, Umar deserves to fight for the title, while Merab deserves to wait until he can win a fight by ko or sub. Hell, at least until he can consistently complete some goddamn takedowns lol.

Explosive dominant path to the top by beating . . . non top 10 fighters.

If Merab needs to learn how to finish people, then so does Umar. Merab and Umar have the same amount of KOs in the UFC. Umar has a couple subs but they're against guys who lose most of their fights by SUB. Kelleher has been subbed 8 times haha.

Merab only has lots of decisions because he's fighting way better comp than Umar is. Umar couldn't even finish Maness or that guy that dropped him the other week which saw him resort to panic-blanketing for 3 rounds.

Winning is all that matters. Merab keeps winning and has earned his shot.

Fucking bullshit to hold someone down for getting decision wins. Cut the other guy for losing then with that silly logic.
Well it's that and the whole "I'll play tag team title and gatekeep for my friend while never wanting a title shot while he's champ" also kind of pissed them off I'm guessing.

Explosive dominant path to the top by beating . . . non top 10 fighters.

If Merab needs to learn how to finish people, then so does Umar. Merab and Umar have the same amount of KOs in the UFC. Umar has a couple subs but they're against guys who lose most of their fights by SUB. Kelleher has been subbed 8 times haha.

Merab only has lots of decisions because he's fighting way better comp than Umar is. Umar couldn't even finish Maness or that guy that dropped him the other week which saw him resort to panic-blanketing for 3 rounds.
This is always the excuse the guys at top make. How can Umar beat top fighters if none of them will face him?

Imo the only fighter who should be obligated to fight top fighters only is the champion.

I've never understood this type of rhetoric from fighters, saying that "X doesn't deserve a fight with high rank fighter Y". The only time I view it as a legit argument is when it comes to title shots, since there needs to be some merit.

However, what does it even mean that he doesn't deserve to fight a high ranked opponent? Did BSD deserve to fight Dustin? Did O'Malley deserve to fight Yan?

If Umar is not worthy, the cage will expose him and Cory will destroy him. If Umar beats Cory, then "deserves" has nothing to do with it, he is the better fighter (either on the night or overall, doesn't matter).

I understand it. It's the same premise as getting an undeserved title shot.

Part of building a fighting legacy is paying your dues and earning your place. If you leapfrog certain fighters over other guys, even if they win, they skipped alot of potential losses.

This is always the excuse the guys at top make. How can Umar beat top fighters if none of them will face him?

Imo the only fighter who should be obligated to fight top fighters only is the champion.

Yeh, that's nonsense lol.

Why should he get to fight the top fighters right now? He's 5-0 in the UFC and all against guys who aren't even ranked.

So, the top fighters face him? Why? Because he's Khabib's family?

He can go earn it like everyone else in the division is doing. I don't see him calling out guys like Mario, Phillips, or Martinez. Why does he expect to skip the line when everyone else is earning it fighting better comp than he is?

He's had the chances to move up the ranks like everyone else, but he thinks he's above all that and just whines and says everyone is ducking him. He could have fought Wood, which would have been a good step up, but pulled out. He could have fought Cory already, but again, he pulled out.

If Umar is so deserving, then so is guys like Jonathan Martinez who is somehow ranked below Umar at #14 now. He's on a 6 fight streak and the last 3 are better wins than any of Umar's, and yet we'd all laugh if he suddenly whined about not getting top 5 guys or title shots lol.

We already played this game with Islam. Turns out Islam was the best in the world we were wasting everyone making him fight nobodies. I am all for Umar getting to skipline. He is the best 135er in the world and tried of pretending he isn't.
He's right on Islam's timeline too. Almost had his Adriano Martins moment a couple weeks ago.

Yeh, that's nonsense lol.

Why should he get to fight the top fighters right now? He's 5-0 in the UFC and all against guys who aren't even ranked.

So, the top fighters face him? Why? Because he's Khabib's family?

He can go earn it like everyone else in the division is doing. I don't see him calling out guys like Mario, Phillips, or Martinez. Why does he expect to skip the line when everyone else is earning it fighting better comp than he is?

He's had the chances to move up the ranks like everyone else, but he thinks he's above all that and just whines and says everyone is ducking him. He could have fought Wood, which would have been a good step up, but pulled out. He could have fought Cory already, but again, he pulled out.

If Umar is so deserving, then so is guys like Jonathan Martinez who is somehow ranked below Umar at #14 now. He's on a 6 fight streak and the last 3 are better wins than any of Umar's, and yet we'd all laugh if he suddenly whined about not getting top 5 guys or title shots lol.
If he doesn't get the top fights yet, that's fine. There's nothing wrong with him calling out top fighters. We should be grateful the guy is ready and willing to take on such big challenges.

I was complaining about Merab's recent behavior. He went up to O'Malley and asked him to 'call him out'. He is saying Umar doesn't deserve to fight Sandhagen, which is another fighter's business completely. Why is Merab using this language? Not to mention, he was unwilling to fight Aljo while he was champ, which put stress on the weight class.

Merab is a boring fighter. He simply cannot afford to be so conditional with all these demands and specifics. He's the best bantamweight in the world. He should concentrate on that. Forget the other stuff because it's not his strong suit.

Winning is all that matters. Merab keeps winning and has earned his shot.

Fucking bullshit to hold someone down for getting decision wins. Cut the other guy for losing then with that silly logic.
I agree, if the other guy also goes to decision every fight.

Merab didn't get any favours only because he was refusing to fight Aljo, and publicly stated that Aljo gets first dibs.

If he doesn't get the top fights yet, that's fine. There's nothing wrong with him calling out top fighters. We should be grateful the guy is ready and willing to take on such big challenges.

I was complaining about Merab's recent behavior. He went up to O'Malley and asked him to 'call him out'. He is saying Umar doesn't deserve to fight Sandhagen, which is another fighter's business completely. Why is Merab using this language? Not to mention, he was unwilling to fight Aljo while he was champ, which put stress on the weight class.

Merab is a boring fighter. He simply cannot afford to be so conditional with all these demands and specifics. He's the best bantamweight in the world. He should concentrate on that. Forget the other stuff because it's not his strong suit.

It's fine to call out the guys ahead, but not the way he's doing it.

There's a difference between being ranked #1 in the division like Merab with 4 top 5 wins and calling out the champ than there is to being #10 with no ranked wins and saying no one wants to fight me just because the top 5 and the champ don't want to gift you something you haven't earned at all.

The problem isn't just Umar calling out fighters that he doesn't deserve, it's that he's also saying no one wants to fight him, which is nonsense. Like I said, he's not calling out guys like Martinez, Mario, etc.

Those guys have better wins than him. You don't see Mario saying no one wants to fight him and give me a title shot. Meanwhile, Umar wanted to go from beating unranked fighters and being unranked himself to fighting the champ.

That and saying no one wants to fight him when he's the one that pulled out of his step up fights is some crazy level of entitlement.

And as for Merab, yeh, he can be boring, but he's had some fun fights as well. Him telling Suga to call him out isn't that bad. It's the next logical fight to make.

And you can't say Merab put any stress on the division. The division wasn't waiting around while Merab passed on title shots. Merab was off fighting regularly the whole time that Aljo was off winning and defending the belt.

If Nurmagomedov beats Sandhagen he probably get a title shot lol.

Just shows how biased the UFC is when the likes of Merab, Belal, and Ferguson back in the day went on crazy runs and were still left waiting.

Merab is just embarassing himself at this point. Idk why he can't just chill and concentrate on his own path.

Umar is on an explosive, dominant path to the top. If anything, Umar deserves to fight for the title, while Merab deserves to wait until he can win a fight by ko or sub. Hell, at least until he can consistently complete some goddamn takedowns lol.
It's this sort of stupidity that encourages Dana and the rest to further take the piss with regards to rankings and matchmaking.

We already played this game with Islam. Turns out Islam was the best in the world we were wasting everyone making him fight nobodies. I am all for Umar getting to skipline. He is the best 135er in the world and tried of pretending he isn't.
I think Umar is the best at 135, but I don't think that Khabib's success or Islam's success should give Umar any shortcuts. That said, I think he's earned a top fight and if Sandhagen is game, it's the fight to make. Not too many top guys want to fight anyone from that camp on their way up, so props to Sandhagen. And it's smart, too, because a win over a Nurmagomedov in the UFC should pretty much lock up a title fight for Sandhagen.

Who should Corey fight though? Look at the rest of the top 10.
Merab should have a title shot. Sterling is at FW. He already fought Yan and Chito. Cejudo, Yadong and Font are all behind him and off losses. That only leaves 17-0 #10 Umar and #8 Fig, who is on a 1 fight win streak.

Back