Media Merab Dvalishvili: 'Umar Nurmagomedov doesn't deserve to fight Cory Sandhagen!'

We already played this game with Islam. Turns out Islam was the best in the world we were wasting everyone's time making him fight nobodies. I am all for Umar getting to skipline. He is the best 135er in the world and I’m tired of pretending he isn't.

Last edited:
I've never understood this type of rhetoric from fighters, saying that "X doesn't deserve a fight with high rank fighter Y". The only time I view it as a legit argument is when it comes to title shots, since there needs to be some merit.

However, what does it even mean that he doesn't deserve to fight a high ranked opponent? Did BSD deserve to fight Dustin? Did O'Malley deserve to fight Yan?

If Umar is not worthy, the cage will expose him and Cory will destroy him. If Umar beats Cory, then "deserves" has nothing to do with it, he is the better fighter (either on the night or overall, doesn't matter).

I've never understood this type of rhetoric from fighters, saying that "X doesn't deserve a fight with high rank fighter Y". The only time I view it as a legit argument is when it comes to title shots, since there needs to be some merit.

However, what does it even mean that he doesn't deserve to fight a high ranked opponent? Did BSD deserve to fight Dustin? Did O'Malley deserve to fight Yan?

If Umar is not worthy, the cage will expose him and Cory will destroy him. If Umar beats Cory, then "deserves" has nothing to do with it, he is the better fighter (either on the night or overall, doesn't matter).

I think they just don't want Umar go up in rankings so they won't need to fight him.

Merab is just embarassing himself at this point. Idk why he can't just chill and concentrate on his own path.

Umar is on an explosive, dominant path to the top. If anything, Umar deserves to fight for the title, while Merab deserves to wait until he can win a fight by ko or sub. Hell, at least until he can consistently complete some goddamn takedowns lol.

If anything, Umar deserves to fight for the title, while Merab deserves to wait until he can win a fight by ko or sub.
That's just silly when Umar's coming off a decision win over a debutant.

I understand what Nerab means, UFC's matchmaking for some of their prospects is complete dogshit and you end up with situations like these where a guy goes from fighting a bunch of unranked comp to a top 5 opponent without climbing the ladder.

Merab is just embarassing himself at this point. Idk why he can't just chill and concentrate on his own path.

Umar is on an explosive, dominant path to the top. If anything, Umar deserves to fight for the title, while Merab deserves to wait until he can win a fight by ko or sub. Hell, at least until he can consistently complete some goddamn takedowns lol.
Winning is all that matters. Merab keeps winning and has earned his shot.

Fucking bullshit to hold someone down for getting decision wins. Cut the other guy for losing then with that silly logic.

We already played this game with Islam. Turns out Islam was the best in the world we were wasting everyone making him fight nobodies. I am all for Umar getting to skipline. He is the best 135er in the world and tried of pretending he isn't.
Almost knocked out by a regional can, still has literally zero ranked wins in his career, but yea, definitely the best 135er in the world

We already played this game with Islam. Turns out Islam was the best in the world we were wasting everyone making him fight nobodies.

Eh, we don't really know if Islam is the best. Dude has just two top 10 wins and one of those was Hooker lol. Maybe Arman was top 10 at the time but I doubt it and it was short notice.

It's pretty obvious that Sandhagen vs Umar should decide the next title challenger.

I get where Merab is coming from with his 9 straight wins without a title shot, but Umar vs Sandhagen just makes a lot of sense.

It's perfect for the UFC either way. If Sandhagen wins, imagine the amazing style clash with O'Malley, assuming he gets past Merab.

And if Umar loses, you can chalk it up to him facing top-notch competition too soon. But if Umar wins, we could be seeing a new superstar from Dagestan.

We already played this game with Islam. Turns out Islam was the best in the world we were wasting everyone making him fight nobodies. I am all for Umar getting to skipline. He is the best 135er in the world and tried of pretending he isn't.

How old is Islam and who are all those great wins?
The pinnacle of his career is beating a 34 year old featherweight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back