Media Cory Sandhagen Doubles Down Says He WANTS Umar Nurmagomedov NEXT

I don't actually see it as all that "risky." Sandhagen is ranked #3--Merab is getting the next shot, and Aljo moved up--so Sandhagen really just needs a win against anyone and he's probably next in line. For Sandhagen, there's really not much difference in fighting someone in the top 5 or #13 Umar; either way he likely gets the next shot. Might as well take the unproven guy with all the hype. Even if he loses, it's not like Sandhagen would plummet in the rankings; Umar would just skyrocket.

Also, Sandhange already fought Yan, Chito, Song, and Font. Deiveson is scheduled for 300. And Henry's future is up in the air. There really aren't that many options for Sandhagen.

I didn't even want to be a Sandcastle fan.....but here I am. Respect for calling out a stylistic matchup that looks less than favorable for him.

All jokes aside, I know it's his debut but how good is Bekzat? Like does he have a solid chance

It's pretty unlikely.

I know he's highly rated by his team in Kazakhstan, which actually means something, but a few Sherdoggers think he's way behind Azat Maksum, who has looked pretty average.

I'm going to assume he does okay but never threatens to win, but it's really hard to say.

All jokes aside, I know it's his debut but how good is Bekzat? Like does he have a solid chance

No, Umar should be like a 10-12 to 1 favorite. Bekzat is the best BW prospect out of Kazakhstan but he's kinda small for the division and Umar is huge. Beyond that, Bekzat has a tendency to get caught and hurt....good recovery but still. And while he's a great prospect and only 26-27? He's not exactly one of the best BW prospects in the world outside the UFC, a very good contender series guy but Umar in his debut? Just nuts.

I don't think he has the size, physicality, defensive wrestling, aggression/ pressure or ability to be effective at range you need to combat Umar. A guy like Saidyokub so far did the best and Saidyokub honestly is Umars best win to date ironically it was outside the UFC. Saidyokub had the defensively wrestling, physicality and brought the aggression standing even though it wasn't successful.

No, Umar should be like a 10-12 to 1 favorite. Bekzat is the best BW prospect out of Kazakhstan but he's kinda small for the division and Umar is huge. Beyond that, Bekzat has a tendency to get caught and hurt....good recovery but still. And while he's a great prospect and only 26-27? He's not exactly one of the best BW prospects in the world outside the UFC, a very good contender series guy but Umar in his debut? Just nuts.

I don't think he has the size, physicality, defensive wrestling, aggression/ pressure or ability to be effective at range you need to combat Umar. A guy like Saidyokub so far did the best and Saidyokub honestly is Umars best win to date ironically it was outside the UFC. Saidyokub had the defensively wrestling, physicality and brought the aggression standing even though it wasn't successful.
I think that's the weirdest thing about it, even if he was very, very good and one of the better prospects outside of the promotion it would still be just as weird of a fight to have for a guy's debut.
I mean I know Umar maybe shouldn't get a big bump, but they couldn't get someone else in the rankings like Martinez or Munhoz at the very least?

Also thanks to you and @Siver! for the insight!

Now with Merab seemingly confirmed to get next he's gonna have to fight someone. If Umar wins next weekend maybe they do line it up for summer.

Umar/Sandhagen on that Saudi card in June would be perfect, add in Khamzat and some others and you'd have a big time fight night for that region.

Feel like Sandhagen is the only guy that is willing to let Umar into the top 5. It's basically once he gets there he'll probably run the division. It's crazy that Sandhagen would even entertain the fight again.

Is it true that W J. Longdong had his colon knocked out in his last fight?

Cory is the man. Umar vs Sandhagen might be the most interesting fight at bantamweight right now

Respect. Even if he never becomes champion, I respect him more than O'Malley.

Feel like Sandhagen is the only guy that is willing to let Umar into the top 5. It's basically once he gets there he'll probably run the division. It's crazy that Sandhagen would even entertain the fight again.
Umar doesn't want to fight a top 5 wrestler like Sandhagen. His next fight will be against a striker or an elderly Cejudo, wanna bet?

Calling out the guy the rest of the division is ignoring. I like the confidence.
They are ignoring all low ranked fighters. Top 5 fighters not wanting to fight against top 15 or unranked fighter is not ducking.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back