Rumored Max Holloway vs Ilia Topuria - UFC 307: Salt Lake City, Utah - Per Ariel Helwani

SLC tourism must be paying a nice fee to the UFC. I’d never have fights there, or in Denver if it was my call. But that 291 BMF card was way better, and more entertaining than the 278 Usman vs Edwards 2 card.

It would be really cool if Max got the title back. And I’m leaning that way.

How long do we have to wait for this one...

Yes Max doesn't throw huge shots but he's a pressure fighter and a volume striker.

Plus he lives and trains in fucking Honolulu at zero altitude. The difference on fight day will be huge for him.

Topuria on the other hand is not a volume striker, unless he's going to take the fight on the ground.

Pressure and volume striker lol. That's what I should have said instead of trying to write it out in detail lol. I'm running on not enough sleep.

I've seen Top start to gas and slow down. I'm expecting that to happen if it goes beyond 2 rounds, and for Max to deal with it better. We'll see though, I guess.

I don’t get it. If you want the sphere card to end with a main event that will deliver this is it. Merab fights have a high possibility of being boring as hell

Please explain how the altitude would affect more Topuria than Max.
Alicante, Spain is at 3M (about 10 feet above sea level). Honolulu is at 5M (a bit over 16 feet above sea level). But I don’t think anybody referring to it being an advantage for Max are talking about where they live, and train. Because those are basically the same.

I think people are more referring to the fact Max has elite cardio. He’s gone 5 rounds with the best. Including LW like Dustin, and Justin.

Topuria has only gone 3 rounds once. That was with Zalal in Abu Dhabi (27M above sea level). And 5 rounds once against Emmett in Jacksonville (Also about 5M above sea level).

If Topuria’s team know their shit they will have that guy in Utah at least 3 weeks before the fight. 4 would be better.

Max has fought in Denver, and Broomfield, CO (higher elevation than SLC). And all over the map. Edmonton, Toronto, and Saskatoon in Canada. 6 different countries. 12 different States. He’s fought in many different climates, and conditions. That has to be at least a tiny advantage, imo.

Max will know how the elevation will affect him, because he’s fought in worse conditions before. But it looks like Vegas is the highest elevation Topuria’s fought at since joining the UFC. Though he did have a fight in Bogota pre-UFC. He beat some guy with no Wiki page by sub in 1:15. It was a Brave CF card.

So that’s not exactly the same as headlining a UFC ppv card fighting Max Holloway in SLC. As the first attempted defence of his belt. Most of his fights are basically at sea level, and Las Vegas. Except that Bogota fight a year before he joined the UFC.

They could conceivably screw that part of his fight preparations up. But if anybody near him has a clue they won’t let Topuria take anything about this fight too lightly.

Isn't salt lake city where everyone always gasses?

It is. Unfortunately.

Max had like 8 five round decisions in a row lol. Topuria has never seen a 5th.

I hate to break it to you hardcore Topuria fans but he went five full rounds against Emmett. You know, two fights ago? Lol

Toporia has never had a 5 rd fight and max has more experience plus he’s a cardio machine.

Topuria went five rounds with Emmett, lol.

Mmmmm idk.. Ilia might just be the first guy to stop Max by strikes

The altitude will affect Toporia. They must want max to win since he’s very popular now since the BMF fight

they are definitely wanting max to win booking this at altitude

not sure what it means for volk.

Max gets the fight at elevation, eh? Fucking lol.

I bet he doesn't have to put the BMF belt on the line either.

I know the tin foil hat takes are strong here, but the UFC continues to go to Salt Lake City as the new owner of the Utah Jazz has spent big money and bid on these events. Plus the gates are huge, one at $6.5 million for 291 and $4.8 million for 278. They will continue to go back there, and often. Fight Nights. UFC 278. UFC 291. Now UFC 307.

I know the tin foil hat takes are strong here, but the UFC continues to go to Salt Lake City as the new owner of the Utah Jazz has spent big money and bid on these events. Plus the gates are huge, one at $6.5 million for 291 and $4.8 million for 278. They will continue to go back there, and often. Fight Nights. UFC 278. UFC 291. Now UFC 307.

Makes sense... most UFC fans are conservatives and so are Utah inhabitants

pls dont have anyone above 170 fight on this card

Back