Khalil Rountree won the first two rounds against Alex Pereira

Yes, not sweating is a MUCH worse problem- that would mean he is another species of ape, as humans always sweat and other apes don't.
haha

if I had the time I'd find a clip of stoned Rogan yapping about Gorillas strength to add in here lol

It was clear that Poatan was throwing feelers cause he knew how explosive Khalil is in the early rounds. It was methodical.

Khalil was forced to spam full explosive attacks to keep Alex off of him. He's a good striker himself so of course he's able to connect but he also whiffed air a lot. Aside from that weird knockdown, Alex was never in danger.. he knew when it was time to step on the gas.. it was all inevitable.

It was clear that Poatan was throwing feelers cause he knew how explosive Khalil is in the early rounds. It was methodical.

Khalil was forced to spam full explosive attacks to keep Alex off of him. He's a good striker himself so of course he's able to connect but he also whiffed air a lot. Aside from that weird knockdown, Alex was never in danger.. he knew when it was time to step on the gas.. it was all inevitable.
He was never in danger? He was down 2-0 on the scorecards... if he didn't turn it on he was about to lose.

Poaton was pretty sick going into the fight, the coughing had me concerned. I’m actually impressed he was able to weather Rountree’s speed and gameplan enough to get the fourth round finish. What a warrior IMO. Round of applause for Poaton!

Round of applause for Rountree as well exceeding a lot of expectations in a FOTN and competitive fight all together

He was never in danger? He was down 2-0 on the scorecards... if he didn't turn it on he was about to lose.

I'm gonna assume he understood that there's absolutely no way a guy built like Rountree who's all fast twitch explosiveness could fight that way more than about 10 minutes. If that was a 3 round fight, I'd imagine Alex would've felt a lot more desperation to step on the gas earlier even with the risk. With 25 minutes to work with, he likely realized that if he avoided big exchanges early, he'd have target practice as the fight went on.

I was winning the fight before I lost just doesn't work for me. If you won first 2 rounds on a score card but then got destroyed and KO'ed in round 4 what does it matter. This isn't a last second KO in the 5th round or something, he lost rounds 3 and 4
Alex losing the first two rounds is a little like this cat losing a round to the bird
cat-bird.gif

Alex was literally playing with his food. This was the squash match I said it was from the beginning. I only hope that Alex rests up and Ank beats Rakic so we can see a true test for Pereira.

I'm gonna assume he understood that there's absolutely no way a guy built like Rountree who's all fast twitch explosiveness could fight that way more than about 10 minutes. If that was a 3 round fight, I'd imagine Alex would've felt a lot more desperation to step on the gas earlier even with the risk. With 25 minutes to work with, he likely realized that if he avoided big exchanges early, he'd have target practice as the fight went on.
True but it was a very close fight. He had to turn it on in round three or else he would lose the fight and thankfully for him he started beating up Rountree. That it took 3 rounds for Alex to win is a testament to Rountree's danger. Alex just couldn't risk doing anything before that moment. If Rountree had better cardio this would have been an even crazier fight.

True but it was a very close fight. He had to turn it on in round three or else he would lose the fight and thankfully for him he started beating up Rountree. That it took 3 rounds for Alex to win is a testament to Rountree's danger. Alex just couldn't risk doing anything before that moment. If Rountree had better cardio this would have been an even crazier fight.
He could and did risk. He just didnt have a big output. He could tire him out just by getting him to bite on feints.

Poatan studied him, he knew what he was doing. It wasnt always easy going and Khalil's speed surprised him at times early on but I think he expected the fight to go how it did. All Poatan needs is one good hit to swing it back in his favor.

When that happens, Death is inevitable.

I rewatch the fight and Poatan won all rounds

In the third Kalil was done

More damage inflicted, jabs and calf kicks
Idk, I thought Khalil at least won one of those rounds.

I'll have to rewatch it though. It was a great fight.

He could and did risk. He just didnt have a big output. He could tire him out just by getting him to bite on feints.

Poatan studied him, he knew what he was doing. It wasnt always easy going and Khalil's speed surprised him at times early on but I think he expected the fight to go how it did. All Poatan needs is one good hit to swing it back in his favor.

When that happens, Death is inevitable.
Yeah but he also almost got knocked out multiple times... he dropped him once and then another time he had him visibly rocked and he didn't push the pace... which i think was a strategic mistake.

I still think Pereira had his hands full and he wasn't easily coasting in this fight like others would have you believe.... if he could have he would have tried to put him out earlier like he did Hill

rountree is very muscular. he had to leap in and throw fast hard shots to get to alex....while most of them time being pressured and on the backfoot.
being that muscular has it's down sides. he was quite tired after the first round, you could see it.

he is not like dricus....built like a tank and recovers quite good when tired. rountree had not the same spring in the 3rd round he had in the first two. he is not a 5 round fighter. poatan is always calm and relax and never 'explodes' his shots. he has natural power and throws it more fluently. it is very simplistic to say: rountree was better, he only need to fix his cardio. it's just silly.

But if you are sure that a guy can't keep up what he's doing after 2 rounds, it's not "thankfully". It's part of a gameplan. You think a guy who does the kind of damage that Alex does is gonna worry that he can't finish a guy who blew his wad early with tons of bouncing around and explosive movement? Alex wasn't thinking "Gee, I'm behind a couple rounds on the scorecards-I'd better not lose another round". He was thinking "Okay, dude is now tired like I figured he'd be. Now I'm gonna wreck his face because he's not gonna avoid anything I'm throwing and his offense won't be there either."
Rountree being stupidly tough had him take a monstrous amount of unnecessary damage but make no mistake that it was simply target practice as soon as he slowed down.

I had it up 2-0 Pereira and I was shocked at the scorecards. Were they even watching the same fight? These can't be boxing educated judges.

The first 2 rounds reminded me of a Floyd Mayweather fight, where his opponent is spending tons of energy to explode and blitz him, and he just calmly dodges or deflects all the damage while picking his shots. Mayweather almost always wins those rounds too.

Alex losing the first two rounds is a little like this cat losing a round to the bird
cat-bird.gif

Alex was literally playing with his food. This was the squash match I said it was from the beginning. I only hope that Alex rests up and Ank beats Rakic so we can see a true test for Pereira.
confirmation bias much? pretty sure only one fighter got dropped in this fight & it wasn’t Rountree.

this was a great fight from both fighters. anyone who walked away from this not impressed by both Poatan & Rountree is a dunce & should go stand in the corner.

I had it up 2-0 Pereira and I was shocked at the scorecards. Were they even watching the same fight? These can't be boxing educated judges.

The first 2 rounds reminded me of a Floyd Mayweather fight, where his opponent is spending tons of energy to explode and blitz him, and he just calmly dodges or deflects all the damage while picking his shots. Mayweather almost always wins those rounds too.
no way did Perieira win those two rounds.

Floyd doesnt mind dropping rounds to DL the data.

Poatan was looking for openings and yes he knew Khalil wasnt gonna be able to keep it up

But Khalil was nontheless dangerous anyway and did give some problems there.

no way did Perieira win those two rounds.

Floyd doesnt mind dropping rounds to DL the data.

Poatan was looking for openings and yes he knew Khalil wasnt gonna be able to keep it up

But Khalil was nontheless dangerous anyway and did give some problems there.
How do you justify that? I'm sorry throw 100 punches and hitting nothing but air doesn't win a round.

I've been waiting for independent numbers to confirm, but Pereira out-landed Roundtree in both rounds 1 & 2

Pereira won rounds 1 & 2.

How do you justify that? I'm sorry throw 100 punches and hitting nothing but air doesn't win a round.

I've been waiting for independent numbers to confirm, but Pereira out-landed Roundtree in both rounds 1 & 2

Nah. Rountree landed the better harder shots in those rounds.

you’re not gonna win a round you get dropped in, bucko

Back